Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday DAILIES (Read 54 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hey everyone. Rest day for me today, but I'll be doing my ITB rehab and some home strength training. Coming up with a plan today to build my base mileage so I can restart marathon training. Slowly this time though Smile A little nervous, I have a half next weekend and my longest run up to this point has been six miles (I signed up months ago before I got hurt). I'd really like to do a 12 mile run tomorrow but I'm nervous I might trigger my IT band again. On the flip side, on the good halts I ran I tanked the last 5k due to low mileage. Thoughts?

I'd vote nay. I don't think you're going to gain fitness in one run,so the risk isn't worth it. The only thing it would do is help your confidence, but you've done a half before so you know you can do it. I'd stick with 8 or 10 tops, and go in to the race healthy.

April...thanks. I'm enjoying not being grumpy Smile. Have a good massage, and that sounds like a great run later.

Scotty...heck, you live more than people half your age (and meet way more pretty women), so I'd say you're doing okay.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Docket_Rocket

My worry with her not doing it is what if the ITB issues arise during the race?  This run might help her see how bad the issue is.  It might not be worth it to start the race if her ITB is too bad.

But if she is going to do the race anyway, I would rest the whole of next week and do 6 on Sunday.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

I almost called in to work this morning, then I realized tired isn't sick. Pass the coffee!

SUS - Hi!

D - Glad all is well.

I have a workout planned for this afternoon, my final tough one before the big test.

StepbyStep-SH

Ended up with 9 miles at 9:35 average, with last mile almost at my goal MP (when I had was still targeting a goal this time). Everything felt good.

D - I'm glad it was something minor. I'm sure everyone is going to be on edge for a while.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Good morning everyone. Made it back from Boston last night. I've never been so happy to hug my daughters.

I may try to move my legs at a brisk walking pace for 15-20 minutes when I get home from work tonight.

LRB

LRB...okay, okay, who got a job at Asics?

The old me would go into a store and ask to see only the shoes made by brand "X", the new me simply asks for the best shoe regardless of the brand.  Depending on the type of shoe; neutral, stability or motion control, Asics is recommended more often than not.

It was just a coincidence that I ended up using the DST 18's as a racing flat, but that has worked out extremely well for me.  Thanks for your commentary on them a few months back.

Scott T, I am a full two sizes bigger than the shoes you have, I would not hesitate to put them on ebay though.  That's where my Lunarglides ended up.

D, Federal buildings have a different vibe about them.  Whenever I go into one I think about OK, that could have happened anywhere.

Lilac four 3 mile runs is likely better than one 12 mile run.  That's a lot to ask when you have been on and off the bench.  Play it safe.

Hello to all of the ladies and to the boys.

I ran today and had two cars honk at me and a half dozen others stop to let me pass, which was really bizarre considering how it usually is.  I guess it was their way of showing support....

StepbyStep-SH

Just thought I would share a story about a friend of mine. Not to focus too much on Boston, but she was right there when the bombs went off. If you watch some of the videos, about 20 feet behind the older runner who was knocked off his feet there is a woman in a white tank top. That is Deb. I saw another video, of the second blast, that shows her crossing the finish as it went off.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning everyone. I did an Easy 5 on the TM this morning. My calves feel tight, which concerns me. My next HM is a week and a half away and I wanted to get in some quality work before them (namely some speed work and a 13-miler this weekend). I'll have to play it by ear Hudson style and hopefully show up for my HM in peak form.

- Andrew

Docket_Rocket

I thought you were going to say that whenever you are inside a federal building, you get the vibe of being arrested.  I sometimes feel this way and I work for them, LOL.

The old me would go into a store and ask to see only the shoes made by brand "X", the new me simply asks for the best shoe regardless of the brand.  Depending on the type of shoe; neutral, stability or motion control, Asics is recommended more often than not.

It was just a coincidence that I ended up using the DST 18's as a racing flat, but that has worked out extremely well for me.  Thanks for your commentary on them a few months back.

Scott T, I am a full two sizes bigger than the shoes you have, I would not hesitate to put them on ebay though.  That's where my Lunarglides ended up.

D, Federal buildings have a different vibe about them.  Whenever I go into one I think about OK, that could have happened anywhere.

Lilac four 3 mile runs is likely better than one 12 mile run.  That's a lot to ask when you have been on and off the bench.  Play it safe.

Hello to all of the ladies and to the boys.

I ran today and had two cars honk at me and a half dozen others stop to let me pass, which was really bizarre considering how it usually is.  I guess it was their way of showing support....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

So, people continued finishing (officially) a few seconds after the bomb went off?  I wonder if they were given medals and an official time.  I know that is not important with what happened, but I'm curious.

Just thought I would share a story about a friend of mine. Not to focus too much on Boston, but she was right there when the bombs went off. If you watch some of the videos, about 20 feet behind the older runner who was knocked off his feet there is a woman in a white tank top. That is Deb. I saw another video, of the second blast, that shows her crossing the finish as it went off.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

3 miles done at lunch @10:20mm.

Sarah, hot 3.55.

Zelanie, I hope that resting helps your knee heal.

scottydawg, have fun doing whatever you do.

Damaris, I'm glad that everyone is safe.

lilac_jive, I hope that the ITB exercises and strength training go well.

AprilRunner, enjoy the massage and the six-mile run.

B-Plus, have a great workout.

Shari, nice nine-miler. I enjoy runs that feel all good.

I don't participate in streaks of exercise because I don't exercise on the Sabbath, major Jewish holidays, and most fast days. Those are my SRDs.

Brrrrrrr, nice easy run. I hope that your calves feel better soon.

Oski, terrific three-miler.

StepbyStep-SH

So, people continued finishing (officially) a few seconds after the bomb went off?  I wonder if they were given medals and an official time.  I know that is not important with what happened, but I'm curious.

I think she got an official time - I had been tracking her online, and the tracking shows her finish time. I don't know about medals - I would imagine in all the chaos, that was the last thing she was looking for.

It was a couple of hours after the blast before the people she was traveling with got word from her, but they had seen her on the news video and knew that the blast missed her.

Welcome home Fuzzy!!!!

Great job everyone who got out today, or getting out later.

6.37 miles at lunchtime, 8:34 pace. Beautiful day, 50 & sunny, actually feeling some warmth from the sun. Actually got into such a zone that I accidentally passed my usual cutoff for 6 & ended up going a bit farther. I have also been getting a higher than usual number of honks & waves in the last 2 days.

Damaris: forgot the pre-run albuterol, but did fine. Felt a wee bit of tightness, but nothing major. Actually felt it more after I finished, and took it then. I think I'll stick with it....

Dave

DaveP MI, fantastic 6.37. And even better that the weather cooperated.

2.12 miles in 18:46.09. 8:52 pace.

The run club will meet half an hour later than usual tonight, so that those who usually run with the group that meets at the Boylston Street LRS may join us.

There are reports that someone has been arrested in connection to the bombings. I hope that it's legitimate. I want the guilty arrested. I don't want anyone to end up like Richard Jewell:/