Beginners and Beyond

Ok, my 10K plans up for scrutiny (or ridicule). Semi-Mcmillan + questions.... (Read 118 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ok.......5 days and counting.

Any suggestions for how to finish out the week?  I'd usually finish this week with M, T, Th, F, though I will plan to rest F since I'd usually run PM and I will have to wake up at about 4 or 5 to get there on time.

Cool runnings seems to like today as a semi-speed work day but I did some solid track work Saturday so I'll probably do a few fartleks today but nothing too structured.

I'm open to suggestions after that.  

Randy

Love the Half

If I have a Saturday race, I like to put in just a bit of speed on Tuesday.  There is a lot of evidence that the best taper involves reducing mileage to about half of your normal mileage but maintaining the intensity of a workout.  So, if your normal workout is 8 x 800, you'd do 4 x 800 instead.  For a 10K, I might look at something like 3 x 1 mile @ race pace with 1:30 rests between each.  Strides on Wednesday after an easy run and then nothing but a very slow recovery jog on Thursday and Friday.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ok, so ran *on the asphalt* with the Gel Lyte33's yesterday for a 4 mile tempo and was truly surprised at how well I performed in them.  I'm usually in the 8's unless at the track & yesteday's splits were:

8:01

7:23

7:24

7:38

Admittedly I took about a 30 second break between each mile but wanted to make sure I could convince myself (in my head) that I can do this.  6.2 miles is definitely a different story but, again, all the pieces coming together should hopefully converge to make for a good race.

I think the rest of the week will be "easy" running, with the exception of some stride/fartlek bursts here & there no later than tomorrow.

Randy

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Richard Dawson:  "Survey says?"......

Smile ------------>  48:57. <----------- Smile

Details to come.  You won't believe what happened on the way to the race.  Anyway, going to get the biggest stack of pancakes I can fit in my stomach!,

(EXHAUSTED!!!) Joking

Randy

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I was in full support of you until I saw your time.  My PR is 48:59.  The day I set the PR, I met my neighbor.  He took second place with a time of.....you guessed it.....48:57.  You guys and your 48:57's.  Go eat your pancakes!

Seriously though, congratulations.  I knew you'd beat your goal.  I just didn't know by how much.

Richard Dawson:  "Survey says?"......

Smile ------------>  48:57. <----------- Smile

Details to come.  You won't believe what happened on the way to the race.  Anyway, going to get the biggest stack of pancakes I can fit in my stomach!,

(EXHAUSTED!!!) Joking

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Love the Half

Congratulations.  I know you were looking to beat 49:00 and you did it.  Nice.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).