Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins Love Valentine's Day! (Read 38 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Dtothe2nd - hope you get good news today about your leg

Traci - that's a bummer, hope you heal quickly.

My new shoes came yesterday so I will try them out today with about 2.5 to 3 miles. Shoes are the reason why I was sidelined.

I drive my body and train it

Bin Running

Happy valentine, Gustav.  Didn't you hurt yourself while doing gangnam?

Was to run 8-10 easy miles today but it was raining the whole day! Hope to at least do some after dinner.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Bin - the original was from shoes, which I didn't know at the time. I was almost healed up and the gangnam re-aggravated it and made it worse.

I went from a 8mm shoe with some pronation control to a 4mm neutral. I was concerned about calf issues going to the 4mm and wore them a few times for very low miles to transition. What I didn't take into consideration was the pronation to neutral transition. I wear orthotics in my work shoes and pronation control running shoes all the time. When I went to the neutral shoes i didn't have the muscle strength in my foot to support running. I can eventually wear the neutral shoes, I just have to strengthen the foot muscles. Considering that I am on my feet all day on less than desirable surfaces which includes a lot of walking, and then add running into the mix - any other activity like dancing or to a lesser extent biking, can cause me problems. It's almost like the straw that broke the camel's back. I need to do things in moderation, but I have a hard time holding back. Too much life to live in too few hours.

I guess I am an example - not what to be, but what to avoid.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Argh!!!  P3 and I went to bed last night with a 203-188 lead in the cutest couple contest.  This morning, it's 207-203.  The contest ends at 10 PM tonight.  HELP!!!  Like our photo, share it, I don't want to lose in the final hour.  That would suck.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=183548415102786&set=a.183548405102787.6694.183498611774433&type=3&theater

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

HAPPY VALENTINES  DAY  !!!!  

We will take a short run this afternoon and have an early dinner at Ruth Chris Steakhouse.  I did remember the roses.    What are you  all doing for V Day?

Jerry

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning, Happy Valentine's Day!

Gym this morning. Was worried about running outside when it snowed overnight, but turns out the roads seemed just fine. Oh well. 20 minutes on the elliptical, 2 miles on the dreadmill (I hate that thing! but I'm happy to be running again, period.)

A few of the Dailies folks from the other thread asked to see my new shoes, so I figured I would show them to you guys too, Both Mizuno Wave Inspire 9s. The grey, seafoam and purple ones I got 2 weeks ago, the blue ones came Tuesday night!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

Gustav, I am a little bit in your shoes. Wearing inspires and waiting to break into my kinvaras. Thanks for sharing. Will probably slow it down and make the switch after jun HM.

Awood, hope you get some more likes.

Jerry, happy valentine. Enjoy the date with your special one.

Kristin, nice shoes!

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Philliefan33

Happy Valentine's day everyone!

I was the recipient of a random act of kindness this morning.  A man here at work, who I've seen around the building but do not know, made the rounds this morning with a 5-gallon bucket full of roses.  He delivered one to each woman, with a smile and "Happy Valentine' s Day".

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Gustav hope your new shoes keep you injury free!

Phillie that is so nice!

My Valentine's Day will be on Saturday. My boyfriend lives 3.5 hours away, so we are used to celebrating holidays on weekends instead of the actual date. I head down to visit hom after work tomorrow. We have dinner reservations for Saturday night.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Happy Valentine's Day to all!  I gave DH his card, but he wouldn't open it, because he's misplaced mine.  So probably we'll open the cards when I get home -- I suspect if he can't find the original, he'll go out and buy another one!  I have chorus tonight, so no celebration planned.  But we're going to a bluegrass concert on Sunday, so we figure that counts.

Gustav -- woo-hoo for new shoes!!

Bin -- hope you get some rain-free miles!!

Awood -- hoping for more likes for y'all!!  Wait, I have a FB alter ego ... maybe I can like it twice!  Ok, I am ballot stuffing!

Jerryb -- sounds like a lovely evening!!

kristin -- I like the blue ones!!

Phillie -- what a nice surprise!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Happy Valentine's Day!  I have 8 miles with 2 @ MP but the thunderstorms are arriving and will remain until Friday night, so we'll see.

Working from home today.  Hope everybody has a great day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning to my Penguin valentines!  I had a great run last night.  Fast and easy.  One of the coaches commented that my form was better too- I was much more upright and relaxed than I had been.

Tonight I will run 5ish with the running club.  It's the first time I've been able to go in a long time.  So DH will have to wait until after I run tonight.  But I will be bringing his favorite chocolates!

Dave- Hoping for good news for you!

Awood- I shared your photo.  Hope that helps.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Gus: Enjoy the new shoes. My new Newtons are getting more comfortable after a few runs in them.

Bin: Good luck with the rain. Along with heat, rain is something in which I do NOT run.

Awood: Sorry mate, I don't do facebook.

Jerry: When is your HM? I am starting to think we need a Penguin calendar with all the HMs approaching.

Kristin: When is the next race?

Philliefan: Lucky day!! Smile

Docket: Will you run in the rain if it is in the 70s or 80s?

Zel: DH is going to have to start running with you. You are some baker!!!

D2: Good luck. I am hoping for the best for you.

JBJ: I am considering doing part of the Paleo. I have already cut out bread, most wheat stuff, and sugars, but I am not giving up on dairy or beer. I have upped my fruits, veggies, and protiens. I weigh 160 so I don't need to lost weight, I am just looking to see if no bread and wheat makes me feel differently. My question is are you getting enough energy for your runs? I am going to get a book called The Paleo Diet for Athletes to learn more.

As for me, DW and I are both taking off work tomorrow and are headed to Zion. Our goal is to finish a tough 16 mile hike. We have tried three times over the years but have never finished it. One year the kids were too small, one year too much snow, and last year we ran out of daylight. If you are bored, you can check it out here.  We will also get in some shorter hikes and a run or two. Four day weekends are nice!!

Docket_Rocket

It is in the 80s but the rain here i s not your typical rain.  Within minutes, 3-5' of water would fill the streets and Florida is #1 on lightning strike deaths and the only rain we got are storms.  I did a 20 miler last year during a huricane (well, the hurricane was coming in but not in here yet) and I've run in the rain, but only when we call it a drizzle, which is what you guys call rain. Haha.

Hi Pens...

Gus: Enjoy the new shoes. My new Newtons are getting more comfortable after a few runs in them.

Bin: Good luck with the rain. Along with heat, rain is something in which I do NOT run.

Awood: Sorry mate, I don't do facebook.

Jerry: When is your HM? I am starting to think we need a Penguin calendar with all the HMs approaching.

Kristin: When is the next race?

Philliefan: Lucky day!! Smile

Docket: Will you run in the rain if it is in the 70s or 80s?

Zel: DH is going to have to start running with you. You are some baker!!!

D2: Good luck. I am hoping for the best for you.

JBJ: I am considering doing part of the Paleo. I have already cut out bread, most wheat stuff, and sugars, but I am not giving up on dairy or beer. I have upped my fruits, veggies, and protiens. I weigh 160 so I don't need to lost weight, I am just looking to see if no bread and wheat makes me feel differently. My question is are you getting enough energy for your runs? I am going to get a book called The Paleo Diet for Athletes to learn more.

As for me, DW and I are both taking off work tomorrow and are headed to Zion. Our goal is to finish a tough 16 mile hike. We have tried three times over the years but have never finished it. One year the kids were too small, one year too much snow, and last year we ran out of daylight. If you are bored, you can check it out here.  We will also get in some shorter hikes and a run or two. Four day weekends are nice!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page