Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES are for running and stuff. (Read 31 times)

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I ran 11miles on a fine, crisp morning.  It was in the upper 20s with no wind, and so clear I could see ALL the stars.  It's not quite Hawaii, but I'll take it and smile.

Have a great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and 7 miles tonight.

The service engine light in my car turned off yesterday, FFS.  I was almost at the dealership.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I ran 7.

It was 27 with a wind chill of 17 which presented a bit of a quandary: wear a jacket and burn the hell up or wear a long sleeve top and freeze my ass off. I split the difference and wore a singlet under a long sleeve top then took the wind at my back for the out portion. Perfect.

Cyberic

I ran 7.

It was 27 with a wind chill of 17 which presented a bit of a quandary: wear a jacket and burn the hell up or wear a long sleeve top and freeze my ass off. I split the difference and wore a singlet under a long sleeve top then took the wind at my back for the out portion. Perfect.

Smart man!

Yesterday and today I wore 3 long sleeves shirt. Perfect. Whatever works

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I got back to speed work today, running 12 x 400m run / 400m jog.  The first 6 were easy.  The next 5 were a little harder and I had to work for the last one, showing it was about time I did some faster running again.  Fortunately, I had no wind to deal with, as LRB did, but I learned that in 22-degree weather even someone as slow as me can generate his own wind chill during the sprint portion.  Also, the sun comes up awfully slowly this time of year, doesn't it?

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Cyberic

generate his own wind chill during the sprint portion

That concept is why I prefer running on a track than running on a treadmill. Of course, for most people access to a TM is far more convenient than access to an indoor track.

RunningOnSand

That concept is why I prefer running on a track than running on a treadmill. Of course, for most people access to a TM is far more convenient than access to an indoor track.

I've never run on an indoor track (well, at least one that was big enough...the last track I ran on was around the cardio and weight equipment at my old gym, and 9 laps was a mile--felt kind of dizzying). I do all my speed work on a treadmill.

I've got ~5 in a bit today. I'm going to wear my Polartec fleece pants from Athleta and smile ear to ear...it's 16* now, with almost no wind and the sun is almost out!

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I've never run on an indoor track (well, at least one that was big enough...the last track I ran on was around the cardio and weight equipment at my old gym, and 9 laps was a mile--felt kind of dizzying). I do all my speed work on a treadmill.

I've never run on an indoor track either.  Nor a treadmill (other than in the store when trying on shoes).  I can see getting dizzy on a small gym track.  I don't have that problem on the 400m track at the high school.

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Docket_Rocket

We don't have an indoor track nearby (with traffic, the closest one is 1.5 hours away).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

sdWhiskers

RD

I used an indoor track regularly when I lived in CT years ago. 8 laps = 1 mile and it was boring but better than running outside in the cold and sketchiness.

KCRuns

Good morning!

DaveP, that Bears win Sunday night was so much fun!  I know I'm a couple days late on this, but we had family staying with us for the game and we partied a little too hard Sunday night.  We slept late yesterday, they left midday and then I took a nap. The older I get, the longer it takes to recover from a late night out.

I don't know when I'll get to the gym today.  I forgot I have a lunch with a buyer today, so it'll have to be sometime later this afternoon.  We'll see how the day unfolds.

Cyberic

The track I run on is ~8.5 laps/mile. Kind of dizzying, yes, but I'm generating my windchill, and I have the impression that I'm running. I can hear the wind and I can see things going by.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I'm fortunate enough to live in a relatively mild climate.  It's never been too cold in NJ for me to go running and in summer I beat the heat by running early.  If the roads are ever too dangerous for running, then I probably can't get to the gym to use the treadmill either.  There's at most a half dozen days a year where running just won't work and then I break out the cross-country skis to get a workout or retreat to the rowing machine in the basement.  I do admit being a cold weather runner.  My 5k PR came on a day when it was 15 degrees (but sunny with no wind).

onemile

The track I run on is ~8.5 laps/mile. Kind of dizzying, yes, but I'm generating my windchill, and I have the impression that I'm running. I can hear the wind and I can see things going by.

I thought your indoor track was bigger

Cyberic

I thought your indoor track was bigger

It's short of 200m.