Beginners and Beyond

Dumb idea or not? (Read 50 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

It appears the weather gods hate me and it is supposed to be humid, again, on Sunday. I am probably going to do the running clubs half anyway, as long as the rail trail doesn't flood from the 4-6 inches of rain were getting. Anyway, how dumb of an idea is it to bump my mileage with the intent of doing a full 11/26. 22 flat rail trail miles, beginning and end on hilly country roads. No real time goal, just finish, ok, well under 5 hours would be nice, but not a requirement.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I like and am quite good at making dumb decisions/ideas, so don't trust my judgement 

All that said, I say go for it. 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

delicate flower

Do you mean tack on extra miles before or after your race to hit 22?  Not a bad idea at all, and actually fairly common.

<3

onemile

So you would run 13 for a LR this weekend and then have 8 weeks to be ready for a full? I think you could do it.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Do you mean tack on extra miles before or after your race to hit 22?  Not a bad idea at all, and actually fairly common.

No.i am doing a half Sunday. I may add a mile or two more, but nothing crazy considering my longest runs are 13.1+ miles. I am considering a full on 11/26. It is mostly on the rail trail--so 22 flat miles, first 2 ish mostly downhill and last 2 ish mostly uphill.

Half Crazy K 2.0

So you would run 13 for a LR this weekend and then have 8 weeks to be ready for a full? I think you could do it.

Yes

onemile

Yes

Sounds doable.  You have time to build up your long run distance.

delicate flower

Sounds doable.  You have time to build up your long run distance.

Agreed.  Plenty of time.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Yes, you can.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

This is the kind of randomness one would find on the old Beginner's Forum. Mother fuckers would come from all over the internet to eat popcorn and watch the show, which due to the sheer volume of people there, was better than reality TV. lol

LRB

Where running is concerned, I know how it is when an idea is planted in your head. Once it takes root (which doesn't take much!) it's over. Having said that, you run consistently, which is good, so you should be fine in the time that you have to prepare for it. It should be nice and chilly as well, which for me, is an absolute must. That last hour or so will probably suck, but it's only an hour or so and you might come away with a better understanding of yourself.

There are worse things that one can do, so in that regard, go get that which belongs to you . There are also however, better things that one can do, but in that regard, see my comment about plants and roots and shit. lol

Half Crazy K 2.0

This is the kind of randomness one would find on the old Beginner's Forum. Mother fuckers would come from all over the internet to eat popcorn and watch the show, which due to the sheer volume of people there, was better than reality TV. lol

Which us why I asked here. The other place you are not worthy of running a full if you have not been doing 50+ miles for more than a year and/or are a sub 2 half marathoner. Or shouldn't be considering it if you would be happy with 5 hours. 

Basically with the way the summer went, my running options were run slow or very short intervals, neither leave me feeling like I can run a strong half in a month. I figure with no time pressure, this is a decent option. Then hope for an ok winter and do a spring half. And figure out what I did to greatly piss off the weather gods and make amends.

LRB

Which us why I asked here.

We are nothing if not enablers.

Pacing it properly will reduce the amount of suckage you will have to endure. For me, mile 19 seems to be the mile that the other shoe drops. lol

LRB

Or shouldn't be considering it if you would be happy with 5 hours. 

This is something (another person's goals or motivations) that I don't even get involved with. Telling someone what they should or should not be doing, and why or why not is for the supremely talented (and even then it's douche baggery) of which, I am most certainly not.

I had a back and forth with someone on the BF over something similar and ended it by saying don't tell me what to put on MY pizza. I paid for the bitch, I'll put whatever I want on it, which includes nothing.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I got into it with someone over more miles will always make you faster. See example, me, not faster. Wouldn't even admit or change his stance that most of the time this is true, but not always. I just proved your statement false, debate over.