Beginners and Beyond

Freaking Map My Run vs Garmin. (Read 52 times)

RunningOnSand

So which one is right? Today MMR clocked me at an 8:17mm while Garmin clocked me at a 9:23. Which one is right???

So which one is right? Today MMR clocked me at an 8:17mm while Garmin clocked me at a 9:23. Which one is right???

Always the faster one.

Dave

delicate flower

Lack of details aside, I am more inclined the trust my Garmin over Map My Run.

<3

bluerun

Super B****

Probably neither of them.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Runshortii

+1

Well I hope so, since I pretty much live & die by that thing. But to be honest, I'm not exactly sure how MMR works. I think you're the first person who's brought it up here.

Dave

Cyberic

I find that Garmins, if you give them time to correctly lock on to the satellites before the run, are usually pretty reliable. By reliable I mean they have a pretty reproducible output: my 610 recorded a little long, so it was always a little long by the same %. My 620 was pretty spot on, and so is my Fenix3 HR.

RunningOnSand

DavePNW, I am hoping you're right 

Yeah, I'm thinking I should trust the Garmin over MMR. I think my satellites were hooked on when I started it. Sigh.

KCRuns

MMR uses cell towers to track your location so it's approximate and Garmin uses satellites which is usually more exact, so I trust the Garmin more than MMR.  I do use MMR though to track all my mileage and workouts and have my Garmin sync with it automatically. And then I just manually add my treadmill miles and gym workouts.

GC100k

I think you know the difference between an 8:17 pace and a 9:23 pace. Which did it feel like?

Look at your track. It will show if one of them did something funky like lose signal and then pick back up, cutting a corner and giving you less distance and thus slower pace or bounced around giving you more distance and thus faster pace.

GC100k

MMR uses cell towers to track your location so it's approximate and Garmin uses satellites which is usually more exact, so I trust the Garmin more than MMR.  I do use MMR though to track all my mileage and workouts and have my Garmin sync with it automatically. And then I just manually add my treadmill miles and gym workouts.

MMR also uses GPS just like your Garmin. It will work if the phone part of your phone is off and just your GPS on. Not really any difference unless the GPS in one works better than the GPS in the other.

oldfartrunner

It depends on how many times you pooped before the run.

Coastal

Depends on how the Garmin is set up.  Is the Garmin set to record every second?  If it is doing the Smart Recording thing where it only records a data point when you change direction then it can be inaccurate.  Every second is better.

RunningOnSand

It depends on how many times you pooped before the run.

RunningOnSand

Depends on how the Garmin is set up.  Is the Garmin set to record every second?  If it is doing the Smart Recording thing where it only records a data point when you change direction then it can be inaccurate.  Every second is better.

I know awhile ago I had set it up to record every second. I'll go back and check. The time that it got all wonky is when I turned around (it never seems to record well when I do an out and back route).