Beginners and Beyond

RR: Great Bay 5K - Goal Race for the year (Read 76 times)

So...where to start.  This RR is not really a story about the race.  It's about my journey to this race over the last year.

I ran in high school.  Effortlessly.  Without any understanding of how great that was.

19 years later I was completely out of shape.  I'd gained weight and struggled with knee pain.  And we had lots of hard family things going on pushing my stress level sky high.  So, last fall I started, very slowly and carefully, walking on a treadmill.  I hate treadmills with every molecule of my being. But they are easy on the knees, so I plodded on for a couple months.  And didn't start limping, and this was good.  So I started jogging, very slowly.  And didn't start limping, and this was good.

And then it was spring.  I gingerly ran a couple miles on the road.  And didn't start limping, and this was good.  So I went looking for a 5K.  And instead signed up for a 5.5 mile memorial race for a local police chief killed in the line of duty.  And finished it.  I jogged slowly the whole way, but I finished.  And didn't start limping, and this was good.

Realizing I really could start running again, I set a new goal.  I was going to win the jacket, the participation prize for a local race series.  And seeing that the last 5K race was advertised as a net downhill PR friendly race, I decided I wanted to run that race sub 30.  I chose that time because my first and slowest 5K in high school was just under 30, and it was a nice round number.  The next weekend I ran the first 5K in the series.  My lungs burned, my legs ached, and I finished in 37:26.  And I realized what a high goal I'd set for myself.

So about 5 months, 10 races and 325 miles later, we come to judgement day.  I wore my race shirt from the memorial race.  My mantra for the race - You do not wuss out when wearing #260.

I'd hit 30:54 in my "practice" race two weeks ago, on a much hillier course.  So I knew I was close.  I'd also bruised that wonky knee three days ago, but it seemed to be holding up.  Pre-race was your usual warm-up jog followed by the long bathroom line.  Got to the start just a minute or two before the race started.  Planned pace was 9:30 for miles 1 & 2 to allow a little slow down for the hill at the beginning of mile 3.

Mile 1: 9:14  A little fast, and I was struggling with my breathing, so I needed to pull back on the intensity just a hair.

Mile 2: At about 1.5, I started to lose focus. Was not having fun. Passed a cop at an intersection. Engage mantra. 9:29  Who'da thunk it - perfect second mile.

Mile 3: Turned the corner to the hill.  As planned, slowed a bit to maintain effort rather than pace.  Coming down the other side tried to push a bit, but I was feeling pretty crappy.  Somehow still ran 9:53, ahead of the 10:00 I'd allowed for mile three.

At the three mile marker I looked at my watch and saw 28:30.  In that moment, I wasn't sure if I could do a tenth in 90 seconds.  I'm an accountant, but somehow in that moment the math from the known possible 10:00 pace to expected time for one tenth was just beyond my brain.  Tried to kick.  Not sure I really got any faster.  Crossed the finish line.  Panted.  Remembered to stop watch.  Looked at it.  29:40.  Wandered around; found official times posted.

Official net time: 29:25

I'm not sure it's sunk in yet that I really pulled it off.  In the meantime, my "acceptance" speech:

I thank my wife, I thank my LRS & LRC, and I thank everyone here who encouraged me. I love you guys. And that's not the runner's high talking. Big grin

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Nice race. Congratulations on meeting your goal!

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

That's fantastically uplifting! Congratulations, runner!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Sloooow.

Congratulations on your sub 30!! Your story really struck a chord with me. My first 5K was last November at 37:20, it is my goal next month to get sub 30 but I'm not hopeful.

Thanks so much for sharing, and enjoy your accomplishment!

hog4life

Wow! Congratulations on a great race!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Good, good, stuff. Just because we get older does not mean we can't do it anymore!!

PADRunner

Congratulations! I hope to have a similar story and time next month.

delicate flower

Congratulations, granite!  An 8 minute improvement in five months is pretty damn significant.  The fact that you did not have fun during the race means you did it right.  Big grin  5K = NOT FUN

<3

LRB

Your mind will be spinning like crazy tonight thinking about what else is possible, sub-29:00, sub-28:00, sub-27:00? Gasp!

It is a wonderful feeling to finally hit a long sought goal, enjoy it.  This is what you worked for and earned!

Zelanie

Congratulations!  Getting that sub-30 is such a big milestone!  That was my major goal for last summer (2012).  Sounds like you ran this one just about perfectly, too!  Well done!

So, what is your next goal? Wink

outoftheblue

What a great race and a nice exclamation point to your re-entry to the running world.   Congrats on going sub-30!

Life is good.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Congrats on reach your goal! It sounded like it was a long time in the making. It's awesome when everything pays off and you complete a goal race.

- Andrew

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Hooray! Congrats on beating your goal!

EbonyN

MusicofEbony

Great job running a sub 30 minute 5K!

Formally known on the Runners World forums as Malletgirl02.

Thanks everyone.  I know there's no minimum speed to be a "real runner," but somehow that sub 30 5k...  I know I'll have more PRs, but I don't think any will mean quite so much to me as breaking that 30 minute barrier.  Especially since the last time I did it I was 20 years younger and 75+ lbs lighter.

My next goal is a 60 minute 10K.  I'm concerned about increasing either my mileage or speed too much before I've lost some more weight.  I think the sub 60 10k is a goal that will be attainable in the next 6-12 months if I just keep running steadily with a modest increase in mileage.  It's about the journey, not the destination.