Beginners and Beyond

Any Dentists in this hizzy?? (DA's or slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night?)..... (Read 117 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Cliff notes on today's dental visit:

#1.) Did you know Molars #14 & #3 (first molars on your uppers) are tied to the sinus floor & can drive you batshit crazy until you give in & do a root canal??  (I'm feeling fine now that sinus infection is gone but dentist seems full-bore to RCT an otherwise fine tooth)

#2.) I brush (electric) twice a day, floss every day & rinse every day. He was giving me grief about the gumline saying that it "isn't as clean as you think it is" to which I told him....*I CLEAN LIKE A FREAK!!* Any suggestions beyond what I"m already doing??

#3.) Of course, he wants my wisdom teeth. Last year I was supposed to get referral but never happened. Now he asked me again so I said, "sure". He said this time I might be good candidate for "in house" instead of "oral surgeon". Suggestions there?? (I think they'd have to do one side at a time if local so I'm not thrilled about 2 visits, I'd rather it just be done)

I think my dentist was just in a bad mood today. (shrug)

Randy

happylily

Dentists, politicians and car mechanics: DO NOT TRUST!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

My teeth get flossed twice a year; once before I go in for my annual cleaning, usually the night before or morning of.  And immediately after said cleaning by the hygienist.

Big grin   Ting!

Sloooow.

Do you have any trouble with your wisdom teeth? I don't know why so many dentists just want to have them. Can they sell them on the black market to be rendered down for stem cells? My partners daughter is in her late 20's, and the dentist wants her wisdom teeth out every time she sees him. She has no crowding, no pain.

With everything you are doing, I can't imagine what else you could do. Peroxide rinse?

Do you have a cavity in the tooth he wants to root canal?

Did this "dentist" have his office set up in some back alley? Good Lord!

Will run for scenery.

Do they still use Valium + Demerol for wisdom tooth extraction ?

If so, GO FOR IT ! ShockedShockedShocked

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

No cavity in the #14 tooth!  It's a crown but the guy says it's perfect.  Radiologically & visually perfect.  It's just the nerve affected by the sinus infection.  I *think* it's just a matter of whether I want to tolerate it or not but dude just had weird attitude today.

As for wisdom teeth, I'm undecided.  He says there are cavities in them but doesn't want to fill them, just pull them.  They don't bother me whatsoever.  Hard to say.  I figure time can't hurt.  Maybe get a 2nd opinon?

As for my routine, I don't know what else to do either.  I'm more dentally anal than 99% of the people I know.

(shrug)

Randy

Docket_Rocket

I had all my wisdom teeth out at once in housec so it can be done, depending on the case

About the gumline, are you a mouthbreather?  I ised to get grief on the gumline due to being one.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I got Tylenol-3 and Motrin for four wisdom teeth that were surgically removed.  One of them which the nerve penetrated my sinus cavity, and was actually in my skull.

It scared the shit out of the dentist and was something he'd never seen, which if I had a dollar for each time that has been said to me about just about anything, I'd be a rich bitch!

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Dentists, politicians and car mechanics: DO NOT TRUST!

Car Mechanics have the highest rate of being correct, followed by Dentists and then Politicians. But even the best of the group falls just below 50%  on the trustworthy scale.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

My teeth get flossed twice a year; once before I go in for my annual cleaning, usually the night before or morning of.  And immediately after said cleaning by the hygienist.

Big grin   Ting!

I do a whole week or two of serious flossing before my dentist appointments. Nothing hurts more than a dentist threatening to mess with your cuspids!

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

If so, GO FOR IT ! ShockedShockedShocked

I think they use pliers these days...

Sloooow.

I had four back teeth taken out with pliers, to make room for my braces.

My childhood dentist was a lovely guy, but he turned his practice private when I was 18. We went to another dentist, had x-rays, all clear. My Mum decided she wanted a dentist closer to home, found one, went in for an appointment. Three weeks after my all clear, the new dentist did x-rays and "found" three cavities, including two in two wisdom teeth that had only broke through a year prior. I have giant metal fillings in them now. Three months after I got to the US, I found out the dentist had been charged with NHS Fraud. Makes me feel weird when I think about that saga.

Will run for scenery.

I think they use pliers these days...

For impacted wisdom teeth, they use a hammer and chisel.  But for a V&D cocktail, I'd totally do it again !

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I had all my wisdom teeth out at once in housec so it can be done, depending on the case

About the gumline, are you a mouthbreather?  I ised to get grief on the gumline due to being one.

Yes, I sure am.  Later in the day now, I'm a little less concerned with it all.  I don't want to spend half my day on dental hygiene.  If brushing twice a day, flossing once and rinsing ain't enough, maybe the dentist will just have to deal with longer cleanings.  Whatever, that's what they're getting paid for, right?

We'll see how this wisdom tooth referral/follow up goes.  Last time they never did call me back so there's 2 shots at it with *their* doc who says he can do it (he has to review my X-rays first) and/or the oral surgeon.

Either way I'll ask for a V & D cocktail with a little salt.  Cool

Randy

happylily

Am I the only who loves the pain inflicted by a dentist? There is something about tooth pain and the taste of my own blood in my mouth, mmmmmmm....

Okay, I said too much. Now you all know that I'm crazy. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010