Beginners and Beyond

Chapman University 5k RR and FE (Read 50 times)

Brilliant

I ran the Chapman University 5k this morning.  I looked for Lurch before the race began - he was easy to find as he is super-tall and was wearing the red shirt he promised:

I am not a short woman - like I said, he's super tall! Oh, and we had our track jackets on because it was about 64 degrees and that's how we roll with a cold front like that in SoCal.   Soon after we took the pic, I went for a 1.4 mile warmup run around the neighborhood where the race is, to get the lay of the land.

I was hoping for a PR - preferably sub-27.  So I when the race started, I went out at that pace and somehow managed to hang on.  It was the longest freakin' 27 minutes of my life!  Why are 5ks so painful?

Final result:  26:56.  I came in 6th in my AG out of 81. All women: 56 out of 733,  overall: 201 out of 1220.  Really really happy with that (yeah there were a lot of walkers included in the total but I'm still happy).

They had so much free food at the end.  Right now I'm eating a weird snack called Plentils - fluffy lentil chips.

Next up:  Long Beach Half Marathon on 10/11.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

WTG on the PR!  You made it sound easy.  I'm sure it was not.

Free food is always good.

Runner with a riding problem.

music_girl117

Awesome!!  Way to nail that time goal!   Great work, and cool that you met Lurch!

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

PADRunner

Well done! Congrats on the PR.

LRB

I guess 64 degrees can feel cold here too...some days...if the wind is blowing...and there's snow on the ground...

Alright, alright; 64 there is what 44 here feels like.

You Rang?

Next up:  Long Beach Half Marathon on 10/11.

Great meeting you Brilliant!  Congratulations on the new PR!  I'll be at Long Beach next weekend too, but given the draw of that race (tens of thousands) I'll be a little harder to spot.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

LRB

I was hoping for a PR - preferably sub-27.  So I when the race started, I went out at that pace and somehow managed to hang on.  It was the longest freakin' 27 minutes of my life!  Why are 5ks so painful?

It's not pain, it's distress. Which is painful. lol

Nice job dropping below 27:00! Hopefully you get some cool temps at your half so you can finally see what you are capable of.

Oh, and I've eaten Plentils.They are different.

workinprogress11

Congratulations on the sub 27, the PR and the FE!  It was a good day.

onemile

Congrats!  Were your splits pretty even? I don't see them in your log.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am not a short woman

No, you're not...and you have really Great Legs to show that too.    Nice photo!

Congrats on your race and the sub-27!  I assume that's the PR you were looking for?  Way to go!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

delicate flower

Nice PR!!  Congratulations!  I am jealous that you got to meet the giant known as Lurch.

LOL at jackets in 64 degree weather.  That is singlet weather...jacket doesn't even make the trip.

<3

Brilliant

PleasantRidge, haha, it was NOT easy.  By mile 2 I had decided I was never racing a 5k again...wait, never racing anything again...wait, why do I run at all??  

Jessie and PAD, thanks. 

Lurch, thanks, I'll look for you again next week!

workinprogress, yes, it was fun!

scotty, thanks. Smile  Yes, my previous PR was a little over 27, so I was just hoping to get that 26:something.

onemile, they were pretty even.  8:38, 8:43, 8:39, 8:22.  So I guess I knew what I could do and ran it pretty smart.  I don't think I could have gone any faster.

LRB, thanks.  Sadly, we have another heat wave coming in next week  .  Subject to change of course, but right now they're predicting 73 at the start, grrr.

Baboon, well, it was dark when I left my house so I grabbed it "just in case" - but I did shed the jacket right after the photo.  My singlet was perfect for the race.

Cyberic

Great racing! Congrats on the PR! Lurch does not look so tall to me 

Brilliant

Great racing! Congrats on the PR! Lurch does not look so tall to me 

haha, yep, this pic reminded me of the one with you & Damaris.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Congrats on the PR! Great picture. 64 can feel cold if it's raining and when it is the first drop after summer. But then it feels warm in the winter.....