Beginners and Beyond

Happy Winter Solstice FRIDAY Penguins! (Read 167 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I like the M&M idea.  I need to find an excuse to use that. 

I'm exhausted guys...ugh  Last night's 6 on the dreadmill took every ounce of determination that I had.  Then, the drinking last night...oh my.  Luckily, it wasn't an expensive place.  I thought about cutting back my running a bit tonight, but then I realized that 6 miles tonight would put me at 160 miles in 28 days (exactly 40 mpw).  That was my goal coming into this month.  I hit 42 a couple of times training for my HM, but that included long runs.  Right now, I'm just running every day between 5 and 7.5 miles. 

I'm adding a long run back in this weekend.  I want to run between 10-12 miles.  I've also started to add in 6-8 strides of 20-30 seconds a couple of times per week.  I know that if I can finish this month/year strong, that week 1 of phase II on Daniels Plan A is only 80% of peak mileage.  So, he's kind of built in your cutback weeks.  Some weeks are as low as 70%, but he compensates with quality work.  I love the flexibility of the plan.  He gives you the quality work to be done, and what percentage of your peak mileage to run.  When you run your easy pace miles, and in what quantity is up to you.  Between 2 quality workouts, and 2-3 sets of strides per week, you really get to enjoy a variety of paces and keep it interesting.  I'm still trying to decide if I should include strides in my mileage, but I enjoy them.  My biggest concern is trying to keep the details of some of these quality runs straight in my head.  I think I might have to take some notes with me or something...lol

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Awood: What and how much did you have to drink last night? Smile

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Awood: What and how much did you have to drink last night? Smile

Beer...mystery shots...more beer...be safe people...take a cab.  They're actually fun.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Mmmmm...beer

Great job keeping the streak alive Awood! 

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Howdy Penguins!

So I ran a 5K (well, it was actually 3.25 miles) this morning in these conditions. I hate to say most of the race was against the wind. It was very difficult. Considering the wind, I felt I didn't do too bad. I kept an 11:31 min/mile. I found a wind/pace calculator and it said with no wind it would have been a 9:09 min/mile. Pretty darn good if you ask me!

Today was my going away (last day at work). I received an Air Force Achievement Medal. The thing on the right (the uniform) is actually a scrapbook, so I can keep mementos throughout my career.

Citation on my Air Force Achievement Medal certificate:

Accomplishments:

Senior Airman Racheal E. Watson distinguished herself by meritorious service as a Photographer, Public Affairs, 633d Air Base Wing, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia. During this period, Airman Watson set the standard amongst wing Airmen by achieving a 98 percent on her career development course examination. She was personally augmented by the White House staff, validating 40 media packages during President Obama's 2011 visit to Joint Base Langley-Eustis, chronicled the Order of the Sword presentation to former Air Combat Command Commander General Fraiser, preserving a historical moment to over 75 thousand viewers globally. Finally, she initiated the workcenter's electronic work order process, which saved Public Affairs 13 thousand dollars per year in resources.

Zelanie

OK, got my first 10-mile run done!   I actually decided to do it on the treadmill because I wanted to be comfy and close to home.  Not too bad, just put on some cheesy daytime talk shows and kind of zoned.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job in those tough conditions, Rach!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

OK, got my first 10-mile run done!   I actually decided to do it on the treadmill because I wanted to be comfy and close to home.  Not too bad, just put on some cheesy daytime talk shows and kind of zoned.

Congrats on the milestone.

Damaris

hog4life

Rach, congrats, that's awesome.

Zelanie, can we sub Hershey Kisses instead of M&M's?

6.35 miles in the new tights, heck, they were almost too hot. If it wasn't for the wind, they would have been. I had thought that I may need to double on the tights if it got really cold, but after this run, I will not be worrying about that. These tights should be good done to 20 degrees without much wind. When it gets below 20, I'm staying in the house. Oh, and I didn't mention yesterday(maybe I did), but the TM run I did sucked. The thermostat was set on 68, but once I got going and warmed up, I couldn't hardly breathe, it was just too stuffy. I turned it down to 60, and was better for the rest of the WO. After I finished, I started getting cold, so must have been about right. Next time I go to the gym, I'll turn the thermostat down first, lesson learned.

Zelanie

Thanks, D!

Mitch, if we were going to sub hershey's kisses, you might need a volunteer to stand there and hand one to you every lap, otherwise I think they'd be a melty mess!  But while we're on the subject, even though I'm not a huge fan of white chocolate or candy canes, somehow those white chocolate candy cane hershey's kisses are really good.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Melanie, you will be so ready for the April run.  Then you can beat the crap out of our 2:30 on April 7th.  Also, our track runs are just our routine short winter runs.  My wife doesn't like the speedwork.  She just has one gear, regardless of distance.  We do speed up on the straightaways on the track and slow up a little on the curves though.  Hopefully, we will get some nice days to do the long runs outdoors.  We don't have a very formal training plan.  Just want to keep bumping up the long run every couple of weeks.  We right with you on the 10 miles.  Maybe we'll get to 11 before 12/31.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Melanie, you will be so ready for the April run.  Then you can beat the crap out of our 2:30 on April 7th.  Also, our track runs are just our routine short winter runs.  My wife doesn't like the speedwork.  She just has one gear, regardless of distance.  We do speed up on the straightaways on the track and slow up a little on the curves though.  Hopefully, we will get some nice days to do the long runs outdoors.  We don't have a very formal training plan.  Just want to keep bumping up the long run every couple of weeks.  We right with you on the 10 miles.  Maybe we'll get to 11 before 12/31.

I agree, Jerry.

Zel: It has been fun watching you progress. You will run a great race. Depending on your training, I predict a 2:07.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I just wanted to pop in and tell everyone how stupid I am.  It's 33 degrees out, which isn't bad, but the "real feel" temp is 15 with 35 mph winds and freezing rain.  I'm heading out the door.  Wish me luck.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Awood: Ok... good luck with the run and the drinking.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Scotty- I'm glad I didn't hurt your feelings! You are the most entertaining Penguin with my favorite RRs, I would hate to offend you!

Zelanie- congrats on the 10 miles.

I just got back from an awesome run. I usually get home from work late so if I miss a run in the morning then it's missed for the day. But I got home a little after 4:00 today and I knew I had a little time before it got dark-dark. It was still windy and cold but the rain was done, and I felt a million times better (usually when I have a cold it is worst in the morning and then sometimes I feel better as the day goes on). So I laced up and headed out! I was running along trying to consider how to plan my route as it would slowly start getting darker. I thought to myself, "well at least people have Christmas lights to help keep it lighter" when it dawned on me: CHRISTMAS LIGHTS!! There is a neighborhood only 2 miles or so from me that is FAMOUS for their Christmas lights. It is a really rich neighborhood with huge houses and people go all out. As in more lights than Griswald, probably more lights than our awood, giant Santas, flying mechanical reindeer, mechanical carrousels that turn, mechanical toy soldiers that march around, mechanical nativity sets, gigantic blow up characters, the total works. It is always on the news, and people come literally by the bus load to see the houses. I haven't had a chance to get over there yet this year. So I ran over there, jogged around that neighborhood with a few pauses to admire some particularly fantastic displays, and ran back. Just under 5 miles. Just wish I had my camera, it was amazing! I was only supposed to do 3 miles.....does that mean this was my long run and I need to do 3 miles this weekend?

Glad we're all still here on this earth! Happy Friday!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to