Beginners and Beyond

Super Sunday Penguins (Read 19 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Denver or Seattle?

PADRunner

1.5 hours and 5.5 miles on the elliptical done this morning. How do you equate an elliptical workout to a running workout? Time, Distance?

For no reason whatsoever I'm picking Denver.

hog4life

Hi Pad!

Today is my normal RD, but since my miles were short last week, I may go for a short run. If you seen my thread about the mountain bike, I road about 1.5 hours yesterday. I should have taken a GPS, I'm guessing 5-7 miles.

PADRunner

Hi Pad!

Today is my normal RD, but since my miles were short last week, I may go for a short run. If you seen my thread about the mountain bike, I road about 1.5 hours yesterday. I should have taken a GPS, I'm guessing 5-7 miles.

I've got a Trek 7.4 hybrid I need to put more miles on but for some reason though I just can't get comfortable on it. Tried a couple of seats. Just a bony butt I guess.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Super Sunday.  Haven't decided on today's run, but I'm out of hand/feet warmers.

As usual, we will be home for the Super Bowl.  Ribs and Deschutes Red Chair on the menu.  What are the rest of the Penguins doing?

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

NYRR Gridiron 4M this morning in Central Park. It was gorgeous out....low 40s at start time! Got to FE with bluerun and VeganAng Smile I took it very VERY easy, took walk breaks, ran at a very easy pace. Averaged about a 13:00 min/mile. But I did it, nothing hurt, and I have completed the first of 9 NYRR races I need this year in order to qualify for the 2015 NYC Marathon. And it was football themed Smile

Update on my cousin's wife (if you missed it yesterday she went to the hospital with a very bad migraine and they discovered she has a life threatening brain tumor....but her brain was too swollen to do surgery so they had to drill holes in her skull and put her in a medically induced coma until the swelling goes down): they brought her out of the medically induced coma to check for brain damage. She was able to respond and move all limbs. So that is great news! Not out of the woods yet though by any means. They put her back in the coma and if things stay ok they will perform brain surgery tomorrow to try to remove the tumor. It will be a very risky surgery so keep the prayers coming if you do that sort of thing.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

On Sunday, February 2, 2014, I participated in the Transplants For Children Super Bowl 7K.  My report and photos are at the link below. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/Post/4a90d1f8b8ea481cb49f04f437a438a7#focus

The rest of the day will be a lazy one of watching TV and napping in my chair.  It is rainy and miserable here in San Antonio, a good day for an old man to be napping! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

Good morning everyone!

PAD-- I'm not sure, but I know every bit does help in making you stronger.  Isn't that a wimpy answer?  Smile

Mitch-- so did you go ahead and buy the bike then?   I haven't checked that thread today.  Good job on the hour-1/2 on it.   How is traffic around there?  Are there good places to ride where you feel safe from cars?

Jerry-- I had to look up that Deschutes Red Chair.  Sounds like a good day!  Use your DWs hand/feet warmers; she won't mind.

kristin-- Yay on qualifying for the 2015 NYC marathon!  So now, you just gotta get yourself healed up and ready by then.  I'm glad your cousin is at least stabilized for now.  Her and your family are in my thoughts.

Scotty-- eh!  You don't need to be outside now anyway.  You have football to watch.  I'll check your RR soon.  If ya sleep, enjoy your nap.

I did 8 miles today.  I broke it up into 2 shorter runs so I could have 2 short but strong runs, instead of a disappointing longer one.   We'll probably just have pizza, and my DH will have his brothers on the computer watching the game with them.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

She Can this was only race 1 of 9 to qualify....lots of work to do Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

SheCan

She Can this was only race 1 of 9 to qualify....lots of work to do Smile

d'oh!  I wondered how you'd done that.  I figured some of the races you'd done before you were injured counted.  LOL, now it makes sense.  

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

PADRunner - I would think it would be equivalent.  The only real difference is the impact on the joints and feet, but otherwise you're doing the same aerobic effort and moving the muscles as often.  It's not like a bike, where it's a 5:1 ratio because the wheels do so much of the work.

Mitch - hope you had a good run.

Jerry - sounds like a good Superbowl menu.  I've had Deschutes beer, I think, but not the Red Chair.

Kristin - does everyone who runs the NYC marathon have to do the series, or does the series give you a discount?  Good job on the four miles.  That was your longest since your injury wasn't it?

Scotty - sounds like a good day to take it easy.  7km is an odd distance.

Cherie - are your legs still feeling the 20 miler?  If so, you did well to do the 8, even if it did happen in two parts.  Did you go home between the runs or stop for something to eat?  (I've run to the ice cream store where I met DH, then finished the run afterwards.  It can be fun.)

AFM:  Today was warmer (47) and cloudy with occasional sprinkles.  We went out to the park where Jim walked Ben and I ran through the park and out into the area beyond.  I ended up with six easy miles.  I like that area because it's mostly pretty flat but has a couple of small hills to challenge me. Easier than home anyway.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

She Can: What marathon did you sign up for?

Ginny: Nice six. Those flat runs are nice. Around here it is impossible.

Scotty: Man, I love those lazy days!

Kristin: Sorry about the news. I do that sort of thing so I will send some her way.

Jerry: That sounds like my kind of menu...

Hi Hog and PAD...

I ran 5 miles today and marathon training with DW starts tomorrow.  Cute story... I had parent conferences this week and one mom invited me to her son's birthday party today. I guess they were really worried about him when he started middle school because he was nervous and all that. She told me that his grades have never been better and he looks forward to coming to school every day because of... me. Smile That really made my day because I don't get that very often.  He was too shy to invite me so his mom did. Before we go to our Super Bowl party I'm going to pop in at the pizza place where his birthday party is and then I will meet DW and the DDs at our party here in town. It is a drinking crowd so I will likely be getting hammered. Good thing I don't have students tomorrow. It's a "staff development" day and I can sit in the back and take naps.

Have a good day.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Ginny this guarantees you entry. Otherwise you have to do the lottery. Something like 40,000 runners applying for 10,000 sport or some ridiculousness 

hog4life

Good morning everyone!

PAD-- I'm not sure, but I know every bit does help in making you stronger.  Isn't that a wimpy answer?  Smile

Mitch-- so did you go ahead and buy the bike then?   I haven't checked that thread today.  Good job on the hour-1/2 on it.   How is traffic around there?  Are there good places to ride where you feel safe from cars?

Jerry-- I had to look up that Deschutes Red Chair.  Sounds like a good day!  Use your DWs hand/feet warmers; she won't mind.

kristin-- Yay on qualifying for the 2015 NYC marathon!  So now, you just gotta get yourself healed up and ready by then.  I'm glad your cousin is at least stabilized for now.  Her and your family are in my thoughts.

Scotty-- eh!  You don't need to be outside now anyway.  You have football to watch.  I'll check your RR soon.  If ya sleep, enjoy your nap.

I did 8 miles today.  I broke it up into 2 shorter runs so I could have 2 short but strong runs, instead of a disappointing longer one.   We'll probably just have pizza, and my DH will have his brothers on the computer watching the game with them.

Cherie, I have not bought it yet. I'm having some uneasiness about the straight mountain bike. I know that I will be riding the roads at least 50-60% of the time, so that's why I think I should get a bike like Pad mentioned, i.e., the hybrid. I have a lot of good places to ride, so don't have to fear traffic too much.

The rain has started rather heavy, so I bonked on anything today. No biggie though, this is my normal RD anyways.

SheCan

Ginny-- hat sounds like a really nice place to run.  Good job on the miles.  That's too bad that the ice festival wasn't better yesterday. The fund raiser we went to in Bisbee was super fun.  Several local musicians preformed, and a band called Haymarket Squares from Phoenix ended the show.  They really appealed to the Bisbee crowd, and got the whole audience moving so it ended up being even better than I expected.  As far as the run today. I came home at about 4 miles, got a drink, went to the restroom, and waited about 20 minutes (until I felt completely rested.)  Then I went back out.

Jack-- that's a wonderful story!  It surely feels satisfying to know you're making such a difference in these children's lives.  So nice of the mother to invite you and let you know how her son feels.  Enjoy your party tonight!

Cherie