Beginners and Beyond

runner/car accidents (Read 134 times)

StepbyStep-SH

You can't always trust just your ears, either. A hybrid backing out of a driveway will be nearly silent.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Docket_Rocket

You can't always trust just your ears, either. A hybrid backing out of a driveway will be nearly silent.

My car is completely silent.  I've gotten comments like: are you sure the car is on?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

In crosswalks, I never assume the right of way.  Like HappyLilly, if I'm running on a road facing traffic, then I move to the grassy area when a vehicle approaches because I don't trust drivers due to their inattention at times.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

kettledrum

Are you from Muncie? Me too.

This made me very sad; idiot wasn't paying attention and ran the damn light. Bitch.

Also, oddly, the Indy Star website posted a story that included the victim's name and the name of the woman driving the car. (link)

No, I'm from north side of Indy.  I originally saw the article in the Star but went looking for the Muncie newspaper website as I figured they would have more info on it.  Was surprised to see the pics and video there though!

I have never worn earbuds, nor do I think I would feel comfortable wearing them either.

LRB

I never assume that cars will stop for a red light.  I wait until I see them stop.  If I'm wondering if the driver in that car sees me, he doesn't.  I never cross in front of a car unless I have made eye contact with the driver and he has given me some acknowledgement.

This, but I take it one further; unless the driver gets out of their car, stands with their hands out and looks at me and and says, "You may run in front of my vehicle", I run behind them!  I have ridden a motorcycle for a billion years and it's the same thing; I do not trust drivers at all.

I assume whether biking, riding or running that the driver is going to try and run my ass over, so i am very particular about the cars I will run in front of.  Doesn't mean I will not ever get hit, I'm just saying.  It starts there.

Having said that there are occasions when I may get caught in an intersection by some jag-off who is turning into it after I am in it but I am always sure to leave myself an out.  but ultimately, our safety it is up to us.

As for music, having run with and without it, I cannot differentiate between the two as I have had the shit scared out of me just as much without it as I have with it!  Sometimes, you just get into a zone where bicyclists or other runners can get right on your heels and you just never hear them coming.

Why just the other morning a biker rang her bell behind me and that thing was so loud I about jumped into the fuckin' tree!  She slowed and apologized but like I told her, there is no right way to indicate you are coming up behind a runner or walker.  No matter what you say or do, or when you say or do it, you are likely going to scare the piss outta them whether they are jamming out or not.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Normally Chandler people are nice, until you are running....... most are on phones but some have literally aimed for me and if there isn't any space between the grass and white line I try to stay on the white line, and still they try to hit me Angry, up until about 3 weeks ago I never really had an issue, now I have at least 3 different assholes during every single run either not even move or move just at the last moment.

This should be delivered today: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-AMPXLED.html

Drivers won't have any excuse then damn it.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

I've been hit by cars several times when I've been out running.  Each time I was hit by a car I was on the sidewalk.  I've never been hit while on the shoulder of the road or in a crosswalk.

Fortunately, no serious injury has resulted from any of these incidents.  However, I'm fairly certain I just jinxed myself for my next run.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

RSX

I have been hit twice in parking lots. 1 was running by an entrance, and the other was walking in one (permanent nerve damage and tendinitis to my knee). Needless to say I hate running by parking lots, and have more close calls there.

Docket_Rocket

A car once ran over my foot.  Good thing it was at a slow pace.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

We have a really bad 50 mph intersection that our running/bike/bridle path crosses.  The right and left turning arrows confuses everyone and its an accident waiting to happen.  Come to think of it, DD totalled my old Geo Prizm at that corner.  Thank goodness she didn't get TBoned by a runner.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Drivers are certifiably insane in Brooklyn where I live. I have been here for 3.5 years, and within a mile from where I was living at any given time between 2 apartments there has been THREE separate incidents of cars driving THROUGH store windows (one running over 2 elderly pedestrians walking to Yom Kippur service at their temple in the process), 2 incidents of cars knocking down bus stops (one 2 yearsago hit the pole with the bus route name on it so hard it flattened the pole, and just yesterday a pickup truck drove through a glass bus stop shelter, critically injuring a 71 year old), and one incident of a car driving THROUGH a median of a traffic circle and mowing down the LARGE marble war memorial in the process. So.....yeah I don't trust drivers!!!!!! I run as little as humanly possible on any street where I would encounter an automobile. I'm lucky to be .5 mile from a great park and take the routes to and from it on the roads with the absolute least through traffic and stay on the sidewalks.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Love the Half

She slowed and apologized but like I told her, there is no right way to indicate you are coming up behind a runner or walker. 

I beg to disagree.  If someone has in the earbuds or they are obviously zoning out, I like to lighten my stride and soften my otherwise whale like breathing as I approach.  Then, just when I'm off their left shoulder, I clear my throat loudly.  Very loudly.  Good times.  Evil

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Are you from Muncie? Me too.

This made me very sad; idiot wasn't paying attention and ran the damn light. Bitch.

Also, oddly, the Indy Star website posted a story that included the victim's name and the name of the woman driving the car. (link)

"The driver was ticketed for disregarding a signal." Shouldn't there be more severe consequences?

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.