Beginners and Beyond

It's my first Fridalies (Read 54 times)

GC100k

Never started a dailies before, but I am now.

Go!

GC100k

IMP, who lives near me, used to start these on RW forum. I wonder if they knew about the move before the shutdown. If you didn't check RW for a week, you were greeted with the news that it's dead and gone and would have no idea where everyone went.

Wed afternoon I fell while running for the first time in a long time (years?). I was running one of my regular sections of the Appalachian Trail and tripped and fell hard, bruising my left hand. Then Thurs morn I was running the same section and fell twice. All three falls were the same situation: I was trying to run fast, was on a gradual downhill on a not particularly gnarly section, let my guard down and tripped on a rock or root.

I've almost fallen a million times, but can't remember the last time I actually went down. I almost never try to run fast on trails. I guess in regular running I'm able to catch myself but these times was going too fast to correct it. I did set a PR on that section yesterday in spite of the falls. Actually, the first one yesterday I did a forward roll and popped up without losing momentum. Tore my right palm up pretty bad on the first fall yesterday and drove some stones and dirt into the cut on the second fall, but other than some minor bruising on my hip and shoulder, sore palms, and a skinned knee, nothing too bad.

Funny thing is last week I kept forgetting to bring my trail shoes home from the office and ran on the AT each morning in my Hoka Bondi and was just fine. Then I put on the trail shoes and fall three times.

No running today but I do hit the weights. Will have to tape up the palms and see how that affects lifting.

breadnatty08

GC, it's been a bit since I've taken a big spill but those "almost" falls happen frequently.  I tend to blame dragging or not picking up my feet (being tired, too sore, mentally detached from the trails...).  I do think about certain sections of trails I'm running and "if I fall here, it's going to be baaaaadd".

3.3mi this morning for me, just a quick shakeout before tomorrow's race.  We've been testing a lot of pastry stuff this week including donuts yesterday so I'm feeling a little squishy.  Looking forward to blowing that out with 30mi tomorrow.  

Find me on Strava

Cyberic

Took the day off from work. Had plans for a Yasso 800s workout today.

In the middle of the night I woke up to go to the washroom. Heard a suspicious noise down stairs. The hot water tank was leaking. GDI. Shut it down, picked up most of the water on the floor, and went back to bed. Guess what I'll be doing today 

Cyberic

Never started a dailies before, but I am now.

Go!

Congrats on your first

(not actually a turtle)

Good morning, hope you’re all well.   6 for me & finishing up my last big week of marathon training.   Taper starts next week!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and 3 miles tonight.  I need to get my KK donuts today, and I can't forget!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

I've got an easy run after work.  I've got my first truly long run in a year this weekend.  I can't decide if I should do it tomorrow in awesome running weather but on tired legs after yesterday's run, or do it Sunday on slightly more rested legs but in warm, humid, windy, and rainy weather.  My PLAN says to do it Sunday, but Coach always says to move stuff around if weather is an issue.

<3

onemile

I ran 8

onemile

I've got an easy run after work.  I've got my first truly long run in a year this weekend.  I can't decide if I should do it tomorrow in awesome running weather but on tired legs after yesterday's run, or do it Sunday on slightly more rested legs but in warm, humid, windy, and rainy weather.  My PLAN says to do it Sunday, but Coach always says to move stuff around if weather is an issue.

If it's an easy paced LR, I would just keep it as is but if it involves faster running, move it

oldfartrunner

Morning,

The wife and I are doing our last LRs before the 10K race next weekend. She will be doing 13 with pace back, I'm hoping for 12-14 with 6X1 mile @ Half pace.

CY: That sucks. Sad

Bread: Go get um!

GC100: I find too aggressive tread pattern tends to catch more, and use road shoes on the dry rocky trails here. You can trim the tread down some to suit your needs on trail shoes and it will help. 

AMT: Hey! Good to see you!

Puh 8k and I am tired. Third quality session for the week. 2x 1 mile at tempo pace and 4× 200/200 at repitition pace. Am done for the week. LR on Sunday (my running weeks start on Sundays). Have a nice run today everyone Smile

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Blah!

So last night I got lucky, I think.... DH came home early (like at 5:30) and passed out in bed, Dorian and I headed to the store to get some stuff but within 5 minutes of being on the road, Dorian passed out so I took him back home and laid him next to his Daddy.

I then took the doggies to the trails for a quick run, ended up using my phone's flashlight because I realized that my headlamp was nearly dead so that part sucked. But at least we got in 5.2 miles so that makes up for it.

Got home, Dorian was still asleep and was determined not to wake up so we let him sleep and we went to bed. Sure enough, as I figured... he was up around 3 AM and around 6 AM I decided to take him and Jetta for a run.

We got in 4.1 miles this morning before I had to rush him off to school, hopefully I can get in another 3-4 miles this evening when the sun goes down.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Ate & drank too much last night at a business dinner, didn't get home till 11. Woke up 10 min before my 4:45 alarm anyway, and went out and destroyed my tempo. I guess I found the magic formula. 8 miles w/4 continuous. Way too fast for tempo, but just felt like it. I haven't actually raced since Labor Day, so my body was itching for it. My body should be careful what it wishes for, in 9 days it will be very sorry.

Dave

No more marathons

GC, it's been a bit since I've taken a big spill but those "almost" falls happen frequently.  I tend to blame dragging or not picking up my feet (being tired, too sore, mentally detached from the trails...).  I do think about certain sections of trails I'm running and "if I fall here, it's going to be baaaaadd".

This is my problem.  I've developed the old man shuffle - probably don't have more than a few mm of clearance.

I last ran on the trails a few months ago and took a bad fall on a relatively flat and clear section.  Have no idea what I tripped on.

Plan to get a few miles in tonight after work, and then a bit longer run tomorrow.  We'll see.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!