Beginners and Beyond

2017 Race #63 - Zero Prostate Cancer 5K (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2063%20Zero%20Prostate%205K

A couple of the photos may not have come out so well; sorry about that.   Plus, at times post-race I forgot to wipe my sweaty lens - duhhhh - so there might be a smudge or two on some of them. And for a few, when I asked someone to take a photo for me, I forgot to tell him/her how to focus the camera, duhhh..   All in all though, I think they came out fairly well.  I am certainly no professional photographer with skills; but at least all the photos are free to save.

BEFORE MY START

Sunday morning, Sep 17th and time for my 4th race of the Sep 15 – Sep 17 weekend, number 63 race for the year 2017.   Up and at ‘em!  The Zero Prostate Race 5K and 10K – I did the 5K – raised funds for prostate cancer research.  This one is personal to me, as I have friends who are prostate cancer survivors and I am also scheduled to get a prostate biopsy soon myself as my PSA has been kind of high, so my doc wants to get this checked to, if needed, catch anything in there very early.  Hopefully, there will be nothing in there – well, at least no cancer.  Meanwhile…do the race!   Held at Mission County Park in San Antonio, near the Mission Reach part of the Riverwalk.  Arrived at the park early, got good parking, and off to get some photos.

Our MC who was great for the day

Gotta get my coffee, dude, before all the activity starts

Me and Bernadette, our last race of the weekend

With Joni Reyna, one of the race founders

Dr. Reyna, race co-founder

Lots of teams for this one, in honor of their special people, friends, etc.

Volunteers in the green shirts

My speedy friend, Bill, with his speedy pals

Playing music as all the participants go across the start mat

My friend, Terry, Ed, and Arturo, a secret agent for Men In Black...I probably won't remember this photo tomorrow...

Little man in shades, cracks me up....  "Joe Cool"...like Snoop in Peanuts, lol.  The ladies are gonna love him.

ON THE COURSE

Pretty humid morning; temps were in the upper 70s already when we started.  The 10K folks went first and the 5K folks started 10 minutes after, and the people doing the 1-mile walk went after the 5K people were gone.  After 3 races already, I really thought about doing that 1-mile walk, lol.  But no, I committed – and probably should BE committed - so gotta do what I set out to do.  Lined up and off we went.  This one was not done on the Riverwalk paths – probably a good thing, cuz with the humidity, etc., there was a lot of bugs out, especially along the water – but on paved roads in front of the park and down past one of the old Spanish Missions.  This was an out-and-back course with a couple of ‘rolling parts’ – nothing you could really call a major hill – and after the turnround point and getting back up one of those small hills, then it was all flat to the finish. Surprisingly, I actually felt pretty good for this one.  Guess it helps when you make sure to hydrate really well the night before, go to bed a bit early and get rested, and then hydrate in the morning too.  I didn’t set any speed records, but I ended up with a chip time of 35:11, which was actually faster than my previous 2 races of the weekend, go figure.  Running sure can be crazy at times.

For the 5K, this lady is really quick - or maybe she had an appointment and started early.  She was even ahead of the guy who was officially first overall.

speaking of which...I think this guy was 2nd actually

My speedy friend Bill and his pals already heading back to the finish..and I'm not even to the halfway point yet, lol.

I made the turn-around and saw one of my friends not far behind me heading toward it. He does all right for 70+

Turn around point - behind me under the bridge

Another of my Senior Group of friends in black shirt

After this short hill, flat all the way to the finish

Right turn by those lamp posts up there and then home to the finish

Quick look behind me before I finish

AFTER MY FINISH

Yay, DONE.  4 races completed in one weekend.  Got some water, then went to my car for a bit, sat in there with the a/c running – which felt great! – cooling down, sipped my water, then drank some cold Gatorade I had brought in a cooler.  Ahhh, much better.  Then out to get some adult refreshment.  The race folks were offering Amstel Light, but I opted for ‘real’ beer and got a Lonestar Light from a friend who had brought some of his own, ahh, hit the spot.  I enjoy a beer after I race, but I also make sure I enjoy it limitedly when I am driving. Sipping my cold brew and wandering around getting the after-race photos.  A few came out a little blurry – most of these were from when I asked someone to take a photo of me and a friend and I stupidly forgot to tell them the ‘trick’ about focusing my old camera, so totally my fault.  The problem with my old-fashioned camera is, unlike a phone, you really don’t get a large preview of the photo, so can’t really tell if it’s blurry or not until I get it on my puter and begin reviewing them. Oh well, I think most of them are ‘see-able.”

Two old Air Force retired dudes....photo a bit fuzzy....or...maybe it's us old guys who are fuzzy..

With my amazing friend, Bethany

Yeah, now I'm happy!  4th race of the weekend done and a cold brew.

My friend and prostate cancer survivor, Bill Bird, and his family

San Antonio Spurs Coyote hosted the Kid's Run

I told this guy he would be a little eye candy for my viewing ladies..so here you are, ladies.  

Last race of the weekend for Bernadette.  As usual, she placed.

And finally, before I went home and napped in my chair after a 4-race weekend, a photo with Coyote.

EPILOGUE

Very well organized event.  Local area race management company iaapweb was the company for this one too, did their usual great job with the course set-up, timing, etc.  Plenty of post-race goodies too…beer, hot dogs, nice iced-down towels to cool you down after you crossed the finish line, food trucks nearby – and they gave away for free these little cups of delicious ice cream, and you could also opt to buy food from the truck.  Lots of shaded pavilions to sit under post-race and relax and cool down and enjoy time with friends.  Mission County Park is a great place to have an event, lots of facilities, good restrooms, water fountains, great nearby courses, plenty of parking in the surrounding area.  Have done this one before and will definitely do it again.  And a personal shout-out to my friend, Bill Doc Byrd, who did this one too – especially important to him – 5 years prostate cancer free, way to go, my friend!

Mucho thanks to everyone who made this event possible for we participants.  Dr. Reyna and Joni Reyna for starting this event, all the sponsors, organizers, and volunteers who do all the hard work to get everything organized, law enforcement and EMT folks out there for us, and everyone else involved that I may have missed.  No races for we participants without all of you, so thank you very much!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Scotty - good luck with your biopsy. Hopefully just age, not anything worse.