Beginners and Beyond

Sleepy Monday Penguins!! (Read 14 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

I got a crazy amount of sleep this weekend, because I didn't have a whole lot going on.  Still, it was a very sleepy drive in to work this morning!!  I spent Saturday making treats for Coffee/Cookie time at church on Sunday.  I made cookie dough truffles, oatmeal raisin cookies, and pumpkin dip to have with gingersnaps.  There were maybe six oatmeal raisin cookies left and a BOATLOAD of pumpkin dip -- clearly that recipe needs to be halved, or even fourthed!!

It was also crazy cold for this morning's run -- 40's, which I am NOT ready for.  I need to go find myself a sweatshirt, since I don't think I have a running sweatshirt any more.  Woo-hoo!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

You should have called it pumpkin spice latte dip. 

Today is the jogathon at my school, which means I might get paid to run a couple.  This also means I get to wear my Altras to work. Smile  HsM, you might like them, actually.  They're zero drop and have a lot of design to favor a more natural stride, but cushioned.  I know you like to feel your feet on the ground, but maybe you'd like them as an option?

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I'm back in Miami (since late last night).  The marathon was hard, I couldn't even run at easy pace because I couldn't breathe, so I concentrated on running as fast as I could.  I had to stop several times for other reasons (swollen foot), med tent to pick vaseline, etc.), and my running got slower the longer it got since the lungs were working over time, but I finished.  I really didn't want to but I did.  Not even my slowest marathon, but slow for me.

Weights for me today.

HopesMom, I would love some 40s.  We were in the 100s this weekend.

Z, go run!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

I'll definitely keep them in mind!  I'm enjoying my Komodosports right now, and I have a pair of Merrell something, Pace Glove or Road Glove, that I usually wear for everyday.  But other options are always good!

Singer who runs a smidge

HopesMom, I would love some 40s.  We were in the 100s this weekend.

Sorry the marathon wasn't fun, but glad you got there to run it!

GinnyinPA

Isn't anybody getting a holiday today?  I always loved getting off for Columbus Day, because it's such a great time to be outdoors.

D - does your doctor have any ideas of why your asthma is so much worse?  It seems that with you running indoors more, the allergic component would be less. Are you still getting the shots?  And Chicago wouldn't have been especially humid.  I'm sorry you didn't do well, but I applaud the perseverance that got you to the finish line.

HopesMom - those cookies sound great.  I'm not ready for cold either, but I know it's coming.  We're wearing our wool hats and fleece jackets to walk Ben at night, and gloves are coming.

Z- how cool that your school encourages the kids to run.  I only ran a couple of times in high school, as part of a tennis class in gym, and never in elementary school, except for running across the play ground because I was late to class after recess.

AFM:  Beautiful but windy day here. I'd like to run, but my knee was killing me this morning while I was still in bed, so I may give it a rest.  We'll see how I feel after walking Ben. Usually I'm better when moving than while sitting still.

PADRunner

Morning!  I'm back in Miami (since late last night).  The marathon was hard, I couldn't even run at easy pace because I couldn't breathe, so I concentrated on running as fast as I could.  I had to stop several times for other reasons (swollen foot), med tent to pick vaseline, etc.), and my running got slower the longer it got since the lungs were working over time, but I finished.  I really didn't want to but I did.  Not even my slowest marathon, but slow for me.

Way to hang in there to the finish.

Singer who runs a smidge

Z- how cool that your school encourages the kids to run.  I only ran a couple of times in high school, as part of a tennis class in gym, and never in elementary school, except for running across the play ground because I was late to class after recess.

AFM:  Beautiful but windy day here. I'd like to run, but my knee was killing me this morning while I was still in bed, so I may give it a rest.  We'll see how I feel after walking Ben. Usually I'm better when moving than while sitting still.

Ginny, are you icing that knee?

We used to have to "run the T".  Down the hill and up the hill to the fence, then right turn to the end of the fence, left turn to the other end, back to the middle, then down the hill and back up the hill to the teacher.  Rumors had it at a mile distance.  I was always DFL.  Not much has changed!!

Docket_Rocket

Isn't anybody getting a holiday today?  I always loved getting off for Columbus Day, because it's such a great time to be outdoors.

D - does your doctor have any ideas of why your asthma is so much worse?  It seems that with you running indoors more, the allergic component would be less. Are you still getting the shots?  And Chicago wouldn't have been especially humid.  I'm sorry you didn't do well, but I applaud the perseverance that got you to the finish line.

HopesMom - those cookies sound great.  I'm not ready for cold either, but I know it's coming.  We're wearing our wool hats and fleece jackets to walk Ben at night, and gloves are coming.

I had a crisis (that's what she calls it when the breathing goes down) during the Half Moon Bay Marathon 3 weeks ago.  I was probably less than 50% and when she tested me on Monday, I was already up at 52%.  It happens every so often, but because I no longer run outside for 8 months of 90-100F and 77 dewpoints, it happens less often (which is good!).  Anything can trigger it, from some dust (which is what I think happened as the first 8 miles of the race was a dusty trail), to cold/hot/humid/dry, whatever my body rejects on any give day.  This is not from Chicago but from three weeks ago, but the treatment would take at least 10 days, so by the time we started it was too late.  I had my allergy shot on Monday as well.  So, yes, I am taking them every 4 weeks, which help too.  If only the world wouldn't try to kill me every so often, LOL.

Sorry about the knee; hope it's better soon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rest day for me today. Did two 5Ks over the weekend, my reports and photos are around here somewhere...

Getting cooler in San Antonio now...we are only going up to around 80 degrees today.... BRRRRR!  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

I ended up running after all.  It was such a beautiful day, I wanted to be outside.  The alternative was to mow the lawn, but I really wasn't in the mood. The knee behaved, though I felt it a bit when I ran downhill.  If I ran on my toes, there was enough cushion the knee didn't hurt, but it did stress my foot.

Buelligan

3 miserable miles... yay.

No, really.  YAY!  I think I'm going to stick to 3 mile runs for the first month or maybe even two.  Give my nipples a break.  My moobs are jiggling like mofos... not sure how you girls do it.

10 pull-ups today.  Penguins aren't good at pull-ups... sigh.

PADRunner

I had a crisis (that's what she calls it when the breathing goes down) during the Half Moon Bay Marathon 3 weeks ago.  I was probably less than 50% and when she tested me on Monday, I was already up at 52%.  It happens every so often, but because I no longer run outside for 8 months of 90-100F and 77 dewpoints, it happens less often (which is good!).  Anything can trigger it, from some dust (which is what I think happened as the first 8 miles of the race was a dusty trail), to cold/hot/humid/dry, whatever my body rejects on any give day.  This is not from Chicago but from three weeks ago, but the treatment would take at least 10 days, so by the time we started it was too late.  I had my allergy shot on Monday as well.  So, yes, I am taking them every 4 weeks, which help too.  If only the world wouldn't try to kill me every so often, LOL.

Sorry about the knee; hope it's better soon.

Next time.

Docket_Rocket

Bahahaha.  That might be too heavy for me to carry, though. Wink

Damaris

Fundraising Page