Beginners and Beyond

How do you determine your daily or weekly mileage? (Read 109 times)

LRB

Oddly, my daily mileage is rooted in my fitness days where I worked out at least an hour per day either biking, weight lifting, the elliptical and ultimately running on the treadmill.

It was not until my third year of running however, that I finally worked my way up to running an hour per day (last year), which for me is 7 miles (about 58 minutes).

Of course there are variables like peak weeks, speed work, the distance I am training for, tapering and the like but basically my daily mileage is based on the one hour rule.

Throw in a long run of 80 to 90 minutes, and a Monday off day and I spend 6 to 7 hours per week running, which usually has me in the mid 40's in weekly mileage.

What about you, is it goal driven and based on a specific distance you are training for or just what you like to run?  Or could it be whatever your busy schedule allows, or some other reason?

Love the Half

What about you, is it goal driven and based on a specific distance you are training for or just what you like to run?  Or could it be whatever your busy schedule allows, or some other reason?

All of the above.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

delicate flower

Oddly, my daily mileage is rooted in my fitness days where I worked out at least an hour per day either biking, weight lifting, the elliptical and ultimately running on the treadmill. 

That's pretty much how my running is based.  Before I ran, I'd work out for an hour between weights and machine cardio.  Now I run 7-8 miles a day, plus one day I run longer, putting me in the low to mid 50's pretty consistently.  Mileage is higher during marathon training (60-70), as I add the elements of weekly MLR's and LR's.  Generally I don't have a target MPW...it just ends up being what it is.

<3

Mmmmm...beer

I try to do an hour for my daily runs, which is usually 7-8 miles, then my long runs are usually have a mileage goal instead of a time goal.  My weekly mileage is basically determined by how many days I take off.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

My training is primarily goal driven. Since the goal varies depending on what my goal races are, it's also affected by that, mainly in the distribution of mileage and types of workouts. What I like to run has only a small effect on my training, because I often need to run workouts that I don't particularly like if I expect to meet my goals. I'm not fond of long runs of 15 miles or more, but if I don't do some once in a while, my performance at marathons and ultras will suffer. That's really odd, almost an oxymoron, because I've loved the two ultras I've run so far and the marathons have been okay, if not enjoyable.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

From the Internet.

Right now, it's what my legs can handle without breaking. I do two mid-length runs (4-5 miles), two shorter runs (2-3), and a weekend long run (7+), with random extra days off here and there as needed - yesterday fell into that category, so I'll only have 4 days total this week. Eventually it will be goal-driven, but I'm still working to get to that point.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I run what my body can handle based off goals.

Time is a factor, but I am self employed and have a bit of flexibility.

All of the above.

+1

All those factors weigh into it.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

My mileage is goal driven, for a specific distance. I've determined I train best when I am training for a race. I train best for a race when I follow a plan. So I normally have a goal race and a plan.

- Andrew

Docket_Rocket

All of the above, but mostly I plan on running X miles a year and work from there, considering the training plans, surgery, and other eventualities. I also consider the miles I think are the best for me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I'm a numbers geek, so I tend to pick a goal mileage for the year, and then just divide that by 52 weeks.  I then try to come as close to that number as possible.  Plus, the pace bunny widget on here is a good motivator.

Docket_Rocket

I'm a numbers geek, so I tend to pick a goal mileage for the year, and then just divide that by 52 weeks.  I then try to come as close to that number as possible.  Plus, the pace bunny widget on here is a good motivator.

I love the pace bunny!  Although right now it hates me.  It's actually mocking me for taking time off.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I love the pace bunny!  Although right now it hates me.  It's actually mocking me for taking time off.

I had to get rid of mine at in August last year when I got injured and couldn't run.  It was too depressing seeing myself fall further and further behind.

Docket_Rocket

I had to get rid of mine at in August last year when I got injured and couldn't run.  It was too depressing seeing myself fall further and further behind.

I've been running my ass off post surgery and that fucker has not moved!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

I like to keep my runs to an hour or less during the week because I'm not willing to wake up earlier.. Tongue

Once a week, I like to get in a longer run of around 10 miles. It's usually 10 because either a) that's the distance the club is running or b) that's the most I'm currently willing to tack on to the beginning of the club run.

So, I guess, my mileage is determined by how early I'm willing to get up. Big grin

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]