Beginners and Beyond

Three pair of shoes in 18 months, this is getting expensive. (Read 87 times)

I posted this in the "Gears and Wears" section but you guys could probaBly offer some help as well. I don't post much but I do stalk B&B daily.

I have been running about 18 months taking a few months this past summer off due to knee pain. My problem is I have gone thru three pairs of shoes in this time span.

My first pair were Brooks GTS12 which I got 290 miles on. Bought the GTS 13 after the knee pain........the GTS 13's got about 235 miles before retiring them. Both pairs getting worn out in the outside heel rather dramtically. I'm 6'1" 195 lbs I was 242 lbs when I started in 2012.

i really didn't notice the wear in the first pair until the GTS 13 started wearing out. So I went to the LRS to talk about this wear and asked for something a bit more durable.......what I ended up with was New Balance 860 V3. Noticing again wear on out in the outside of both heels after only 150 miles........this is getting expensive. I'm hesitant to keep runrning with shoes wearing like this in fear of injuring myself. is it because I'm a bigger guy and a heal striker? Does anyone have a recommendation ? I'd really apprciate any help or advice you guys can offer.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Love the Half

Hell, I get 700 miles from a pair of shoes by rotating through three pairs of them.  Even when I was a newer running and only had one pair of shoes, I could get 400-500 miles from a pair.  I use Asics Nimbus so maybe my shoes are just built well?

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Just B.S.

I normally go through 3-4 a year so I don't think 3 in 18 months is out of line at all and I'm a

smaller runner. I tend to err on the side of caution and the minute I feel the shoe is losing

some cushioning I start using it less and then gradually phase out to a non-running function.

Have a rotation of several pairs. Look at previous seasons' shoes at a discount. (I have two unused pairs that I picked up from http://www.theshoemart.com months ago.)

LRB

I wear a long run trainer, an interval/racing flat, and a daily trainer.  I expect to run 1800 ish miles this year, so I will easily have to replace each one of them (maybe twice) in a season.

For me though, it is the cost of doing business so to speak, I do not even think about it.  Unlike tires on a car though, at least *I* am getting something out of it.

In your case, just because the heels are wearing does not necessarily mean you need to replace them unless you notice a distinct difference or are feeling sore.

For the record, there is no way I could get 700 miles out of a single pair of shoes.  I got 500+ out of my Kayano's but they were beat the hell up at that point.

I responded to your other post on the main boards (with pics!).

I wonder if they really need to be replaced, or just look bad.

Dave

I responded to your other post on the main boards (with pics!).

I wonder if they really need to be replaced, or just look bad.

Dave, mine are close to how yours look. Its not how they look that bother me. It's the thought that my soreness in the knees are a result of the premature wear.

First Race

Second Race

Scott

Thanks for the responses. looks aren't the problem, it's more about is it causing my knees to hurt.

Not sure I understand how rotating shoes increases milage. is resting the shoes going to help them recover better and not break down? Seems to me it's 500 miles of wear whether it takes 6 months or a year.

First Race

Second Race

Scott

Love the Half

Holy shit.  I looked at those pictures.  I am most definitely a heel striker and with nearly 700 miles on my retired shoes, they look nothing like that.  Indeed, visibly, you'd be hard pressed to tell them from new shoes with the exception of a worn down spot on the back outside of the heel because I'm an underpronator.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Supersono99

Thanks for the responses. looks aren't the problem, it's more about is it causing my knees to hurt.

Not sure I understand how rotating shoes increases milage. is resting the shoes going to help them recover better and not break down? Seems to me it's 500 miles of wear whether it takes 6 months or a year.

Yes, having more days in between runs on a pair of shoes allows the cushioning to go back to its fully restored state, so the breakdown happens more slowly, thus the shoes last longer.

onemile

I only get around 300 miles on my Adrenaline and I am not heavy.  I ran over 2500 miles last year exclusively in them so I went through way more than 3 pairs.  The 13's should be on clearance right now.  I got a bunch for 75 a pair which is a lot nicer than the 120 they want for the new model.

LRB

Dave, mine are close to how yours look. Its not how they look that bother me. It's the thought that my soreness in the knees are a result of the premature wear.

I have a pair that look like that or worse, and though I did not feel any difference, I just think that is too far to go (for me) with something so important.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I have been running about the same amount of time and have 3 retired pairs of running shoes. I also rotate shoes and have several active shoes in rotation, and pull out a pair and replace it when needed. I replace them when they start to show excessive wear and/or I start to "not feel right" in them. My shoes don't get the mileage I'd like (300 or less) but I'm a heel striking overpronator. The first pair of shoes I retired the rubber was completely worn off down to the foam on the outer corner of the heels, in less than 200 miles. It is what it is. With rotating I get 6 months+ out of each shoe (my most recently retired one I got a year out of them because I used them a little less often).

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hell, I get 700 miles from a pair of shoes by rotating through three pairs of them.  Even when I was a newer running and only had one pair of shoes, I could get 400-500 miles from a pair.  I use Asics Nimbus so maybe my shoes are just built well?

+1 to what LTH says.

You are a big guy so you probably need 'sturdier' shoes with much more midcushioning support than most running shoes give.  Me too. Execpt, unlike you, I'm not big, I'm just heavier (that reads 'fat',) at over 200 lbs.  I underpronate so, like LTH, I use the Asics Nimbus which is a cushioned shoe for folks with my foot type (and neutral runners) with a little more 'oomph" in the cushioning and support department.

So maybe find a more supportive shoe in a model designed for your foot type?  If you overpronate, for example, you may want to try the Brooks Beast (pretty heavy shoe but very supportive) or something along those lines.  If you're a neutral foot runner try the Nimbus, the Mizuno Wave Creation, etc.  A good running specialty store can test you to see what type of foot type/stride you have.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Sorry to divert from the OP, but is it the consensus that I am wearing my shoes too long?

Dave