Beginners and Beyond

It's A Puzzling Penguin Thursday (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Bin Running

Hi Scotty!

Good day to all in the colony to follow later... check in to yday thread but it's late..

I am still running but at a lower mileage.. 7.5M w/ 4.5 @ HM .. Can't seem to run my tempo @ 10K anymore.. Sad

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Thursday!  January 29th is National Puzzle Day!

I am puzzled why Mother Nature can't make up her mind about freakin' Texas weather.   It will be beautiful again today - sunny and 74 degrees by my run time at 4 PM - but then tomorrow we are dropping to a high of only 49, with some chilly rain and brisk winds...and it will stay that way through the weekend too.  Figures, since I have a 5K this weekend on both Saturday and Sunday.   But before that, I will enjoy today's sunshine with a nice run at Fort Sam Houston.

Nice run after work yesterday!  79 degrees, sunny, blue skies, light, refreshing wind.  I did a trail run/walk at my favorite San Antonio park.  I even encountered 2 young ladies on the same trail and we kept each other company for about a mile until a fork in the trail, where their route took them on one trail and my route took me onto the other.   Also saw plenty of deer along the way and, for once, they did not knock me down, lol. Ended up with 3.4 miles done.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hi Scotty!

Good day to all in the colony to follow later... check in to yday thread but it's late..

I am still running but at a lower mileage.. 7.5M w/ 4.5 @ HM .. Can't seem to run my tempo @ 10K anymore.. Sad

Glad to see you back, Bin!  Altho I do see you on facebook on occasion, it's nice to see you back here too! Glad to read that you are still running!  Hope everything is going well in Singapore.

on my way to badass

Good Thursday Penguins! Thanks for starting us off Scotty. So glad to see you back Bin! Sorry your mojo has gone missing, although, I'm pretty sure it happens to the best of us (except LRB). It was -4F when I got up this morning. I'm going to shoot for 4 on the treadmill today.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

PADRunner

Morning, couldn't get out of bed early enough this morning. Have to try to get 5 in after work. Should be warm.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Hi Bin!  Nice to see you.

Scotty, I always heard if you don't like Texas weather, wait 5 minutes and it will change. Smile

StoneFence, good luck streaking on the treadmill.

PAD, hope you have a nice 5 later.

Baconista, yes I'm in SoCal, but no, I've never had Larder Baking Company bread.  You made me look it up! Smile    Looks like it's only sold in locations in Los Angeles County, and  I'm in Orange County.

I'm headed for an early morning class at the college.  It's First Aid and CPR.  In 5 weeks I'l be certified to bandage your scraped knees and resuscitate your hearts. Smile Then tonight I'm meeting some folks from the LRS at a high school track.  They will be doing speed workouts.  Since my HM is in 3 days, I don't want to wear myself out tonight or get injured (it's my last run before the HM), but I want to go and see how the real runners do it. Smile  I love the internet, but sometimes real life advice is good!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Working from home so I ran this morning.  10 with 2 X 2 miles at MP done.  Pilates, weights, and a short run with hubby later.

Damaris

Zelanie

Hey guys.  It's time for my weekly run outside.   Running club tonight.  It should be nice weather, since it's about what Scottydog will have tomorrow!  Actually, I don't think it will be that rainy or windy, but I have to say, those are nice temps, not cold ones!

Bin- Good to see you back!  Hope the kids are doing well.  I seem to have found my mojo recently after misplacing it for several months.

StoneFence- Brr!  Hope you have a good TM run!

PAD- Sounds like a nice day for an after work 5.

Brilliant- Enjoy the class!  I've been lazy lately and re-certify with online classes.  I do often go to the track and run easy around the outside while the others do their workout.  It's still nice to have company, and I can be the cheering section, too!

D- Sounds like a busy day!  Glad you got your MP miles in!

GinnyinPA

Scotty - thanks for starting us. Enjoy your warm run today.

Bin - I'm glad to see you back.  Looks like you're training for your March race.  Good luck.

Stonefence - definitely sounds like a good day for the treadmill.  Brrr.

PAD - Sometimes sleeping in is good.  Enjoy your warm evening run.

Brilliant - definitely be careful not to get caught up with the speedsters.  I am still paying for the group speed session I did in November (hamstrings).

Damaris - wow - that's an active day.  When's your next race?

Z - enjoy your group run.  I agree, right now 40s sounds quite nice.

AFM:  short run on the TM later.  We're expecting snow and sleet this afternoon.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Bin: Good to hear from you. Great pics of the kids on FB.

10 miles for me today and I am hoping for an 8:30 pace, give or take a few seconds.

Have a good day.

hog4life

Brilliant, I am a First Responder at work, and have been for about 10 years. Sometimes it is rewarding when you can help someone, yet other times you feel so helpless. Feeling helpless and trying to help is better than not knowing what to try though.

Don't push to much this close to your half.

My plan calls for a tempo run today, but I feel a bit tired, so we'll see.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Quartet practice last night ... well, at least we got to sing a little.  Our issues weren't really hashed out, though.  We talked with our outlier member, but she didn't seem to want to change anything except what SHE wanted to change, so I guess that's a big oh well.  I'll hang with it for a while and see what happens, but I expect someday I'll be looking for a new quartet.  Which won't be heartbreaking, so there's that.

Bin -- good morning to you!!  (Good afternoon?)

Scotty -- I like puzzles, but unfortunately the cats like to knock the pieces off and Dusty likes to eat them.  So no puzzling at our house!  Glad the deer left you alone for a change!!

Stone -- Have a good TM 4!!

PAD -- hope your warm 5 goes well!!

Brilliant -- well, I'm relieved you can resuscitate me!!

Docket -- Woo-hoo for working at home and all you have planned!!

Zelanie -- hoping the weather stays friendly for you!!

Ginny -- yeah, that's a possibility for us as well.  Hope not, because I have chorus rehearsal tonight!!

Jack -- have a good 10!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hog: what are you training for?

hog4life

Jack, I am trying to focus on the April 4th half. If my cycle goes well, and I don't burn out from all the races between now and then, I'd like to go for sub 1:50. There's probably too many races planned though.