Beginners and Beyond

Week 24 Penguins never wear shoes!! (05/31-06/06) (Read 7 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is National Go Barefoot Day, which is sort of funny, because Mondays are now the only day of the week I DON'T spend most of the day barefoot!!  Being in the lab requires long pants and close-toed shoes, so there you go.  Though I only washed one pair of socks for me last week, Monday's.  The rest of the time, if I need shoes, I'm grabbing my Tevas!

So far, we're still expecting to be back to work onsite come June 10th.  But it seems there are no plans in place -- they've talked about staged returns, but we don't know what that means.  They've talked about building sanitization, but we don't know what's involved or what the schedule or needs might be.  They've talked about 25%, 50%, and 80% capacity, but they don't talk about capacity of what, exactly.  Samples to run?  Personnel?  Revenue?  It's like people are beginning to think that we ought to do this, but absolutely nobody has any idea of how.  We're told the actual plans are "forthcoming".  Yay.

So my quartet got together in person on Friday -- my lead's porch wasn't quite as large as I'd hoped, but it was fairly large.  The bass said, "I think this is big enough we don't even need masks!"  And I disagreed -- all of them are over 60, and we're barely 6 feet apart, and we're planning on singing.  Masks, please.  So we chatted in masks for a while, then sang a couple of songs in masks, which was difficult -- you never quite get a full breath, and you keep getting a mouthful of cotton!  Anyway, it was good to see my friends.

I'm also attending a virtual conference this week, so definitely keeping busy!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

HM - I hope your university gets its act together soon. Since there are only two of you in the lab, you shouldn't have much of a problem going back, but it would be nice to know what extra protocols will need to be followed. I'm glad you got to see your friends, even if it was not ideal.

I woke with a sinus earache this morning. It's better, now that I've been upright for a while, but still there. That is a rare thing for me. I was hoping to go for a hike this afternoon, but I'll have to see how it is feeling after we walk Ben around the neighborhood.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! Was sorta sick all weekend with a migraine and also some asthma bout. I think running a 10K time trial on Friday in 77F and a full high pollen day hurt my lungs more than I thought it would.

Finally feeling better after two days off/light, so 5 miles tonight.

HopesMom, I assume they have a plan in process which they won't release until then. Or they have no plan, ugh. Good luck!

Ginny, oh, no. Feel better!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi all!!  I've spent the day at my virtual conference (some good parts, some boring parts).  Apparently I am as incapable of cutting off the boring talks and going to find something more interesting as I am in person incapable of getting up and walking out.  Oh well!

So I called it a day and went off to make some mini cheesecakes.  Woo-hoo!

Docket_Rocket

Ooh, mini cheesecakes! Yum!

I lifted but moving my run to Thursday instead because I need to email back and forth with my boss until late due to the new case.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, my mini cheesecakes totally collapsed in the middle, but I don't think that'll make them inedible.  I swirled in some blueberry jam, maybe that's why they fell?  The one I ran out of jam for didn't seem to have collapsed as much.  Anyway, I'm not that fussed about their squashed-looking appearance.

More conference talks today.  Then choir "practice" tonight.  Our state is supposed to go to Phase 2 starting Friday, I'm in hopes that the church our chorus practices at will move to open up again, and also to let outside groups in again.  I don't know if they will -- I'm on the advisory committee for my own church's reopening, and so far we haven't even had a meeting, much less talked about anything substantial.  It's all good.  But I'm going to try to modify one of my masks to make it less constricting to breathe through for singing -- I'm going to try to add in two vertical pieces of wire, one on either side of my mouth, to help it keep its pooched-out form when I inhale.  Should be an interesting project!

Docket_Rocket

I would eat them. Send them to me. Big grin Good luck with the practice.

I have 13 on the TM at some point.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, it seems to be semi-official, that I will go back to work onsite full-time next Wednesday.  You really have to hunt around the information to find that date, the easier-to-find sites say "June", for 25% capacity.  I'm going to assume that since there are only two of us in the lab, they don't actually want half of me there (how messy!), but would settle for me being there and my tech continuing to telework until about mid-July or so ... there's no hard date I can find on that either.  Anyway, I have "reboarding" (seriously, that's a thing?) training to do before I can go back, so that's on my agenda for sometime in the next few days.  Today I'm doing conference stuff again.

Do you ever find that you don't have NEARLY enough time to do everything you want to do?  That's always the case with me, and even working from home, I still don't have enough time to do all I want to do!  Probably I lack focus -- if I could narrow it down to a project or two, maybe I could actually make some progress on them.  Instead I'm metaphorically dashing around like an idiot.  "I need to do this!  And this!  And I forgot I wanted to do that!  And there's this new thing!  And oh yeah, that!"  Sheesh. 

Docket_Rocket

Ugh, I wonder if you could alternate days with your tech and do each one of you every other day?

I have 7 and weights today.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

I probably could, but as the manager, I should really set the example and come back first.  It'll be ok, it's not like I'm not used to the rat race.  And hey, now I have six weeks of leave accrued, so at some point I will use it and actually not do work when I'm not at work.  I can't say it hasn't been difficult keeping a schedule when I'm at home!

Speaking of schedules, I'll get together with my quartet this afternoon for a little singing and a lot of chatting.  I was surprisingly edgy about us getting together last week, I was kind of tense the whole time, and I wasn't expecting to be, so that surprised me.  Then it turned out to be PMS, so maybe I will be calmer this afternoon! 

I spent some time yesterday recording a Sweet Honey in the Rock song, called Would You Harbor Me?  It was something I felt compelled to do, hopefully something my church can use.  I'd envisioned that song playing underneath a montage of pictures from the protests.  My choir director created the photo montage, but it's not something I can share, because he just pulled pics off the internet, and of course we don't have copyrights to them.  So basically, I did a thing with my choir director's help that meant a lot to me, but I can't show it to you.    Anyway, my director will find a way to use it for church, or he won't, no worries either way.  My need was to create the vocals, and I did that.

Docket_Rocket

I get it. Plus you'll be all alone which I would love, ha. Enjoy tonight!

I have 7 and a Pilates session tonight.

Damaris

Fundraising Page