Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's Juneteenth FriDAILY (Read 19 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Juneteenth Day !!

Today, we reflect on and commemorate the freedom and independence of African Americans in America and around the world. Juneteenth was first celebrated in Texas in 1865 and has since spread across the United States and worldwide.  It was on June 18th that the Union Army marched into Galveston, Texas and enforced Lincoln's emancipation. Since then, celebrations in Galveston have been among the largest Juneteenth celebrations in the world!

Short run for us this morning.  Hopefully it will warm up a bit.

Have a great weekend !!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning. 9 miles. I suspect on the TM because it's not even 8 and it feels like 93F.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

5 for me this morning.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  We got our house appraisal back, and it's definitely more than enough to cover our solar panel loan, so that's all good.  Of course our credit union wants us to borrow a little more to make some improvements the appraiser suggested, but since that's more a time problem than a money problem, we declined.  Scheduling a closing date should be the next step!  Chorus last night was good, but HOT!!  The church where we practice sets the thermostats on 80 when nobody is using the space.  Which is fine, except a fellowship hall will not cool down from 80 to 74 in any kind of reasonable time frame, so we had to shut down early.  Negotiations with the church have been opened.  Thankfully I'm not in on that!

Jerryb -- um, hope you warm up a bit?  That sounds like crazy talk!!

Docket -- enjoy your 9 TM miles!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 5!!

Have there been any Jack sightings?  Wondering how his knee was doing.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Happy Friday everybody.  Quiet morning on the boards.

Jerry - how cool is it?  I'll take some of that.

HM - can you sing outside?  It might be cooler than in the sanctuary.

D - that is hot.  Good luck with your nine.

PAD - good job on the early 5.

Probably a rest day for me.  If it dries out a bit, I may mow the lawn.  We've had daily rains the past week or so and the grass is getting very shaggy.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  Slept in this morning and didn't run .  There's a nike run club group run tonight at 6:30 that I'm thinking of going to but it'll still be above 80 at that time so to be determined.  I'll get in at least a couple of miles today to not feel like a total bum.

I have only two more work days for the school year =D  Then it is marathon training time.  I may have to scale back my plan a bit because I haven't really done enough running lately to support my starting mileage.  I may just jump into the plan as written (starts at 35mpw) and see if I sink or swim.  I can always cutback if I'm not handling it okay.

HsM - Jack is on my miles game team.  He's keeping up with the elliptical and the core work. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Hey guys. Ran 5, then closed on our solar panel loan. We have our estimate later today, then it's off to Vancouver to see some world cup games!

hog4life

5 yesterday and maybe a few this evening. $7000 later and I have A/C again!

Zelanie

Mitch- For that price, I hope it also chills you a nice wine cellar or skating rink.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

5 yesterday and maybe a few this evening. $7000 later and I have A/C again!

Now you have to install solar panels so you can afford to run the darn thing.        

Hi Pens!

Today was day one of a two week stacation. DH isn't planning on taking anytime off so I'll have the house all to myself. Oh the trouble ahead. Nah...those days are over. Planning on days at the pool to get my runs in and work on napping in the sun. Next week I'll tackle a baby quilt for a great nephew, and play with grandkids.

Today I got 35 minutes of a "ladder" workout. I thought it would actually be on the pool ladder but was a progressive interval plan. It feels so good to put my body through a good workout. Full of gratitude. I love the water and am enjoy swimming some laps after my deep water run.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K