Beginners and Beyond

To Boston or not to Boston MonDAILIES (Read 54 times)

Cyberic

Registration for Boston is opening again for BQ-5ers until Wednesday.

... will re-open for week two on Monday, September 21 at 10:00 a.m. ET. If registration does re-open, it will remain open until Wednesday, September 23, at 5:00 p.m. ET. In each of the previous two years, registration has re-opened for week two.

My legs are dead and sore, I did not sleep that much, my appetite has not come back, and yet I have to decide if I want to register for Boston today. Life is cruel.

Cyberic

SRD

Who is going to Boston this year? lily, LRB, Jay... who else?

I postponed that decision until after qualifying, because you know... But now that the BQ is in the bag, I'm wondering if I want to go, or if I want to concentrate on shorter races and work on my speed.

The way I see it is there's no use running another marathon soon if I don't think my fitness has improved. It will only yield a similar result at best.

But another way to see it is that the Boston marathon is legendary, and I have a chance to get in. I may not get that chance again in the future.

I'll ponder on that today.

LRB

'Sup.

I am resting today as well and my achy body needs it. As such I will not be bouncing around the office like a rabbit today causing mischief as I usually do. lol

Zelanie

I say take the chance while you have it.  While it looks like you have the fitness to BQ whenever you want it Smile, getting that BQ again would still require another training cycle, things going right on race day, etc etc.  And you're right, you may not really feel like it again for a while.

But you don't have to treat Boston like a goal marathon and race the hell out of it if you don't want to.  You can, if you feel like it when the time gets closer.  The other option is to show up, celebrate, and complete the distance.  Plenty of time to figure that out.

I didn't feel like eating until pretty late in the day on marathon day.  I think that's normal.  You may feel pretty worn down for a while.  But April is a long way away.

AFM, I will decide later whether it's a RD or if I'll run 8 easy.

bluerun

Super B****

Hell yeah, to Boston!!  If you have that chance, take it.  Not everyone gets the opportunity.

AlterG 8 here.  Someone please explain why I always sleep like extreme crap the night after a race?  More so than usual, I mean.  At least I finally found my French press. 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Eric congrats on BQing yesterday.  As my husband says, "life is more exciting when you say yes to things".  As little teens would say YOLO.  Go for it and run your victory lap in Boston :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

LRB

Someone please explain why I always sleep like extreme crap the night after a race?  More so than usual, I mean. 

If you are anything like me, it's your stupid brain...not that your brain is stupid, I meant that mine is. Your brain is obviously a lot smarter than mine as you've never needed to google anything I've said, unless it was something stupid. lol

bluerun

Super B****

If you are anything like me, it's your stupid brain...not that your brain is stupid, I meant that mine is. Your brain is obviously a lot smarter than mine as you've never needed to google anything I've said, unless it was something stupid. lol

Last night my so-called not stupid brain decided to focus on the trail HM I'm doing in two weeks.  That sure didn't help me sleep. 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

Last night my so-called not stupid brain decided to focus on the trail HM I'm doing in two weeks.  That sure didn't help me sleep. 

Yep, a single thought can lead to a million thoughts and wreak havoc all night! I do breathing exercises, sometimes it helps.

RSX

Boston is a blast and we couldn't possibly have bad weather again for 2016. It is more likely for us to have 2 hot years in a row. I'm hopeful but won't find out until December. Good luck with your training.

StepbyStep-SH

Eric- I say do it while you can, because you never know what life has in store.

5 miles this morning; martial arts tonight. And starting to obsess over a strategy for my 24-hour this weekend, which I said I wasn't going to stress over since I'm not in shape to really do that much.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

You should absolutely run Boston if you have the opportunity.  We slow guys can live vicariously through you fast folks, don't deprive us.

14.1 this morning with it a pleasant 59F.  Now time for more hardwood.  Have a good day folks.

Runner with a riding problem.

happylily

There is nothing like running Boston for me. Even a bad race in Boston is better than any other marathon, as far as the experience goes. The city and its residents will make you feel like a rock star. And the camaraderie between the participants is unequaled. But of course, it's your first BQ, but not your last. You will have other opportunities if 2016 doesn't work for you as far as time commitment and finances. But beer's on me if you do decide to be there. 

I ran 20 miles while in Ottawa this past weekend. It felt looong... SO ran his 5k with his army buddy and his 15 year old DD, so he didn't require my services as a pacer. We're back home now.

I will run some easy miles today.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I have Pilates and 7 miles but I am 100% sure I'll move the 7 to Friday, just in case.  Off to my asthma doctor now.

Cy, register.  Take the chance while you have it in your hands.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I'll ponder on that today.

I'm not sure what someone could say to convince you to run it. I mean, there's not much to think about. Qualifying for and running Boston just go together, like bacon and eggs, lettuce and tomato, ketchup and mustard, salt and pepper, Peaches and Herb...okay, no one here knows who the hell that is. lol

Anyway, unless finances are a concern, you kind of have to run it. Don't you?

I decided to do it in deference to the millions who have tried to qualify but were unsuccessful, not wanting to disrespect what the event means to so many people. But we all have our own reasons.

If you have to think too hard, maybe this isn't the time to register. There are many who do not run it the first time so you would not be the first.