Beginners and Beyond

Would you go to Mars? (Read 41 times)

Hip Redux

If you haven't heard about the Mars One project, they are working on selecting 24 people to start a colony on Mars.  One way ticket to Mars, no return back to Earth.   200K people applied to go, they've whittled it down to like 100 applicants now.

Mars One's original concept included launching a robotic lander and orbiter as early as 2016 to be followed by a human crew of four in 2022. Organizers plan for the crew to be selected from applicants who paid an administrative fee, to become the first permanent residents of Mars with no plan of returning to Earth. Partial funding options include a proposed reality television program documenting the journey. 

I was watching a show where they interviewed on of the people on the list of 100.  She's married and has kids.... and is ready to go to Mars.   That seems nutso to me.  lol   Especially since experts say it'll basically be a suicide mission. 

If you'd like to go, you're too late - they closed the application process back in 2013.    Wheels up in 2025!

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

um....  as romantic as the exploration would be... um no.

No one to race (head to head shoulder to shoulder)

Training would suck...  remote coaching would be worse.

Yay I get to share it with... no-one...

Could you imagine downloading the latest movies/ games? it would take days!

happylily

One of the best part of traveling for me, and I love to travel, is to come home. So no, not for me...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

As much as I love the stars, the planets and the sheer enormity of space, hell no!

For all of Earth's faults (mostly man made) while in the hell would someone want to leave it? Forever?!

There is simply too much here to see in a lifetime, and that is just in our country! They couldn't get me out of here at gunpoint. lol

hog4life

No!

LRB

Especially since experts say it'll basically be a suicide mission. 

"The MIT researchers analyzed the Mars One mission plan and found that the first astronaut would suffocate after 68 days. The other astronauts would die of starvation, dehydration, or incineration in an oxygen-rich atmosphere."

So this is setup for reality TV, which as the article opines, will make for some morbid viewing!

Hip Redux

"The MIT researchers analyzed the Mars One mission plan and found that the first astronaut would suffocate after 68 days. The other astronauts would die of starvation, dehydration, or incineration in an oxygen-rich atmosphere."

So this is setup for reality TV, which as the article opines, will make for some morbid viewing!

Six Feet Under.... Space Edition.

delicate flower

My wife wouldn't let me go.

<3

Only to get more candy bars.

No. I have run the Martian Marathon, that's as close as I'll get.

Incidentally, I highly recommend a book called Packing for Mars by Mary Roach (2011). Fascinating book of all the things you never thought to ask about space travel.

Dave

Hip Redux

No. I have run the Martian Marathon, that's as close as I'll get.

Incidentally, I highly recommend a book called Packing for Mars by Mary Roach (2011). Fascinating book of all the things you never thought to ask about space travel.

I LOVE Mary Roach!   I read that, but I think my favorite of hers is Stiff.  If you haven't read it, you must Smile

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I won't even get on a plane to go to another country, hell no. Plus I've seen WAY too many space movies that made me decide pretty much indefinitely that I am quite happy keeping my feet here on Earth.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

tracilynn

I'm not surprised some of the applicants are moms ... (As a mom of 4) as I sit here watching my kids run around screaming and jumping on the furniture like a total circus 24/7 

~~~~~~~

Traci

happylily

I'm not surprised some of the applicants are moms ... (As a mom of 4) as I sit here watching my kids run around screaming and jumping on the furniture like a total circus 24/7 

hahaha! Sometimes, I wish I could send the kids I look after to Mars.

You look awesomely good for a mom of 4!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Yes.  I always wanted to be an astronaut, why not.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page