Beginners and Beyond

Up too early WednesDAILIES (Read 34 times)

RunningOnSand

I am feeling like a legit runner b/c I set my alarm before 6am to run. Handmaid's Tale + 6 miles are on my agenda in a min. Whatcha got?!

I am feeling like a legit runner b/c I set my alarm before 6am to run. Handmaid's Tale + 6 miles are on my agenda in a min. Whatcha got?!

DW and I just watched episode 2 of the second season...almost caught up. It’s probably the best series I’ve ever watched.

6mi easy for me this am. Thinking I will try 4/4/race this week...no day off and see how it works out

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I rode 35 miles on sloppy wet roads.  I didn't get rained on, but you couldn't tell it from looking at me or the bike.  It was still a good ride.

I'll be watching yesterday's episode of The Handmaids Tale this evening.

Have a great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

delicate flower

Another day another swim!  2500 yards done.  My swim is getting faster just at the right time.  It's weird how my swimming goes because I can go a couple of weeks where I'm suddenly slower, and then eventually I'm magically back to my usual speed.  I dunno.  Short tempo run tonight.

<3

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Easy 5 this morning, breaking in a new pair of shoes.  A bit more humid. Time to start acclimating.  The kids are running through the reboot of Dr. Who, so that's my TV watching these days.  Not that I mind watching Dr. Who.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Docket_Rocket

Morning! 7 with 2 min hill intervals @ 4% on the TM.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

3.3 miles + 1000y swim last night (I am unfathomably slow, friends told me I'd finish the 400m swim of an upcoming tri in about 8 minutes if I'm slow and I laugh because it's probably going to be double that). Track workout tonight, here's hoping I don't have any food-related stomach issues getting back to these evening workouts D: Last week was OK so I need to just try to relax about it I think. Some sort of ladder this week. I'm between groups at the moment, too fast for the slower crew, too slow to keep up with the folks I was running with last year.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good morning all. Challenging run last night of 12 miles and aiming for all the hills I could find in town. I didn't quite hit the 1000 feet of climb I thought I would, but 850 feet with a few big climbs was enough to make me feel it.

Group run tonight, so should be a nice, easy 6ish.

ROS...Hmm, by that theory, I'm not a very legitimate runner lol. Good work getting up and getting it done!

Jay...Good work on the easy miles. I've never been one to take days off before races. I can't imagine it will have a negative impact on you. Hopefully you even feel a little fresher.

Pleasant..Nothing like sweat showers! I sweat so much last night it was like a permanent, cooling drip off my shorts - kinda nice really.

Baboon...That is odd about the swim times. I'd assume it follows the kind of ebb and flow as running does, but maybe not.

Fred...What shoes you working on at the moment? My gf used to like the Dr. Who series.

Docket...Looks like a good run...way to hit the Florida hills Smile

Lauren..Getting back into it can be tough...I'm sure you'll be back with your regular crew in no time. Good luck with the intervals.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Docket_Rocket

Oh, there are no hills here.  It will need to be the TM.  Good because it's already past 93F here and not getting any better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

KCRuns

Good morning!

5ish miles run commute this morning.  I think my new watch is still getting used to the city buildings, the GPS seems a little off, but improving?  I dunno, I'll keep trying it.  I like everything else about it, but the GPS has got to get with the program.  Today's map looks like I hopped across the river and back during my run, which would be impressive, but also impossible.

Question for the group.  I am now the leader of my Monday night group and they want to try new things beyond just our usual easy neighborhood run.  So, next week we are going to meet at the track, which also has a conveniently placed big grassy hill next to it.  What would be a good track workout for a group of people who don't really do formal speedwork?  Something that would be challenging, but also fun.  I was sort of thinking warm up, run 1 lap as fast as you can, jog a lap, go run up the hill 2x, then repeat a few times.  Anyone here have some fun ideas?  We usually do 3-4 miles total and have some faster and some slower runners.  I figured a track workout would let everyone go at their own pace, but still get a good workout done.

MTA: Apparently the GPS does improve.  According to the manual, every time I sync with the Garmin app, it downloads more satellite data to improve the signal.  So maybe I just need to be patient.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred...What shoes you working on at the moment? My gf used to like the Dr. Who series.

SIAR - I'm retiring my Brooks Ravenna 8 shoes.  I'm not getting another pair of Ravennas as I found they tended to be tight across the top of my foot (I believe the technical term is not enough volume).  When I tried on Brooks Adrenalines I had the same problem, so it's something about Brooks shoes and my feet.  I have a pair of NB 860v8 that I like and will replace with the same model.  As I like to have at least two models available, I'm adding a pair of Saucony Guide ISO to complement the 860s.  With a wide foot (I was surprised how many brands/models don't come in wide sizes) and in need of moderate support, I don't have a smaller range of shoes to choose from, which can be a blessing in disguise as it makes the decision easier.  Other shoes I looked based on reviews but rejected for fit reasons were the Asics GT 2000 and the Nike Structure 21.  The Mizuno Wave Inspire 14 crossed my radar, but feedback suggested it was more of a middle-distance shoe and I was looking for something that would be fit for long runs as well as mid-week runs.  I am taking delivery later this week of some lightweight trainers for speed work - my first test of that kind of shoe - for my upcoming track work - NB 1500v4.

LRB

Question for the group. 

Some people have an aversion to speed work, so I would say run a lap then jog a lap, leaving the words as fast as you can out of it. That can be determined by the individual.

Hills are great when you're used to them, when you're not, they're an injury waiting to happen. So I would the first session to assess where people are, then devise a workout based on the information gleaned and do hills on its own day.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good morning!

5ish miles run commute this morning.  I think my new watch is still getting used to the city buildings, the GPS seems a little off, but improving?  I dunno, I'll keep trying it.  I like everything else about it, but the GPS has got to get with the program.  Today's map looks like I hopped across the river and back during my run, which would be impressive, but also impossible.

Question for the group.  I am now the leader of my Monday night group and they want to try new things beyond just our usual easy neighborhood run.  So, next week we are going to meet at the track, which also has a conveniently placed big grassy hill next to it.  What would be a good track workout for a group of people who don't really do formal speedwork?  Something that would be challenging, but also fun.  I was sort of thinking warm up, run 1 lap as fast as you can, jog a lap, go run up the hill 2x, then repeat a few times.  Anyone here have some fun ideas?  We usually do 3-4 miles total and have some faster and some slower runners.  I figured a track workout would let everyone go at their own pace, but still get a good workout done.

This is kind of a fun workout that my g/f likes to do with her track kids:

Dice Workout

Preferably run on a track, the Dice Workout is a fun way to break up a hard day and is usually reserved for when you are not in a race-specific training period.

For this type of workout, 600-1000m intervals work best. Before each rep, roll a die – each number corresponds to a pace pattern that you’ll run for the entire rep. The paces aren’t exact, rather it’s the effort that counts.

For example:

• 1 = alternate easy / medium / hard every 100 meters
                            • 2 = alternate easy / hard every 200 meters
                            • 3 = run the whole interval at a medium effort
                            • 4 = run the whole interval at a hard effort
                            • 5 = alternate medium / hard every 100 meters
                            • 6 = alternate easy / medium every 100 meters

As for your idea with the hills, I love the idea of incorporating a hill workout with a track workout, but it is pretty challenging. I would think about trying that one in a few weeks. Also, my suggestion would be to be careful with your phrasing of "run a lap as fast as you can." It'd be better to advise people to think about going at a pace they could run a 5k at, or a little faster, to start. Having people maintain a pace for the entire lap as opposed to sprinting 100 and then dying out for the next 300 is what you're aiming for.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Good morning!

MTA: Apparently the GPS does improve.  According to the manual, every time I sync with the Garmin app, it downloads more satellite data to improve the signal.  So maybe I just need to be patient.

I've found GPS is always a problem around skyscrapers.  I've read that signals tend to bounce off the newer, glass-faced building, causing weird routes.  I raced up 7th ave and the watch showed me zig-zagging all around the straight street.  At a water-front race in Jersey City, the portion near the tall buildings has me running in the Hudson river.  Maybe I don't do enough city running and yours will improve with time.

As to fun stuff, it sounds like you're on the right track.  When I read Daniels' book, he tended to use short distances (up to 800m) for intervals (i.e. rest period is longer than the run, so run 200 rest 200) and longer distances for repeats (run hard 5 minutes, run easy for 1), but with harder effort on the intervals.  The repeats may be better for a group of mixed speed as everyone can run for 5 minutes at their own pace, and thus keeping the group together.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Perhaps introduce them to running at a lot of different paces. Warm up, run 1 lap as follows: 1st 100m easy, 2nd 100m a little bit faster, 3rd 100m faster still, last 100m fast but short of a full all out sprint. Don't want to risk any pulled muscles. Walk over to the hill and run one or two hills, walk back to the track. Repeat until cooked, er I mean done.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.