Beginners and Beyond

My First 50k RR (Read 38 times)

hog4life

For those that don't know me, I've been around for years, I don't post here much but I read daily.

LEG CRAMPS SUCK!!

I completed my first 50k in a time of 7:44:49. It was 31.2 miles with 2400’ of elevation climb. I finished 62/91 OA. There were no AG stats, but who gives a crap, I finished! Just for stats though, there were 140 people registered for the race, 106 that started, and 15 DNF.

This finish time was acceptable to me, because my goal was just to finish and see what the “ultra” world of races is like. The camaraderie of the ultra trail runners is extraordinary!

This was the first race in a challenge event called the Huntsville Grand Slam. Here’s how the races line up;
    1. 11/18 - Dizzy Fifties 50k, held at Monte Sano State Park
    2. 12/09 - Rocket City Marathon, downtown Huntsville
    3. 12/31 - Recover From the Holidays 50k, held at a running park
    4. 01/27 - Mountain Mist 50k, held at Monte Sano State Park

I had signed up for this challenge back in 2015, and ruptured my Achilles tendon just 2 weeks prior to that first race. I was running about 40-45 mpw and was looking for 50 when I got injured. After the injury, I re-adjusted my thought process about trying to accomplish this 119.2 mile challenge. I basically went from running 6-7 days per week, to 2-3 days per week, getting maybe 25 mpw. I’m getting older, and at 56, my old self was telling me to slow down a bit, and take more time for recovery to let myself heal.

This race was a 10.4 mile loop, circling it 3 times. There was an aid station at mile 4.6 that had coke, water, Gatorade, candy, and chips. And then there was an aid station at the start/finish area. This was kind of cool, because you could actually bring your own aid, change of clothes, etc. The first section before the aid station, is very rocky, sometimes steep, covered with roots, muddy spots(although much dryer than normal due to low rainfall), and all are single track trails. The section after that first aid station, is much more flat, very few rocks, and wider trails mixed with a few parts of single track. The temp was 64 degrees at the start, very windy, cloudy, calling for rain, and 75 degrees when I finished. It only sprinkled a few times and never “poured” like they were calling for.

I finished the first loop in 2:01:23. I started out with a few of my buddies that are trail running experts compared to me. I hung with them for a bit then I fell off the pace. I took a spill around mile 8.5 or 9, and this was on the flat section. There was a small rock covered by leaves, and I took my eye off the trail for just a split second to look across this nice view. Always look down on the trail! When I come across the finish line, someone yelled out, “Oh cool, first blood on the day”. I carried a handheld, drank 22 oz of Nuun, ate a Stinger waffle bar, and a Gu, and grabbed some coke at the first aid station.

I finished loop 2 in 2:30:39. At the start/finish aid station, I grabbed my other handheld that had water. I took another Gu(or Cliff gel) with me. I was sweating profusely by the end of the 1st loop, and it caught up to me. I started cramping like a MOFO around mile 15. I took 22 oz of water, and more coke at the aid station. I felt like that I had hydrated properly the 2-3 days leading into the race, but maybe not! I struggled badly at times with the cramps forcing me to walk, and sometimes stopping to stretch. I was beginning to wonder if I was going to finish. The race had a 9 hour cutoff, so I was trying to crunch some numbers.

I crossed the second loop at 4:33:02, and 30 seconds later, the race winner finishes. Holy shitz, he almost lapped me! Lol

I finished the 3rd and final loop in 3:12:47. At the aid station after the second loop, I talked to a few people to tell them I was cramping, and was eating some pizza, chips, pretzels, but couldn’t find any salt tabs. So I started this last loop with about 4.5 hours before the cutoff. This whole loop was run when I could, and walk when I was cramping. Because of the cramps and walking, people started to pass me. Somewhere around mile 25, a lady came by and offered me some salt, this helped, but only for a few minutes. I think if there was more salt, it would have helped. About 30 minutes later, another runner came by that offered me some salt tabs. She said to take 2, but she dropped one on the ground, and I grabbed that one too, and then she gave me one for later. So I chewed up 3 tabs, and put the fourth in the remaining of my water bottle. I also carried both handhelds after the second loop, one with Gatorade, the other with water. I had them almost empty by the half way aid station, and I had them topped off while there. They were empty by the time I finished.

I learned a few things during this race. Need to load up on electrolytes a week or two prior to these long, hot races. I also need to carry more fluids during these long, hot races. I suspect I was partially dehydrated is why I was cramping, so I’ll prepare better, and plan better for the next 3 races! I had to pee just a few times within the race starting and the first 1 hour, but didn't pee again until after the race!

Thanks for reading! Here’s a few pics.

There's several switch backs in this area to get up to the top of the tree line.

Coming into the finish line

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Awesome job, congrats!  Sounds like a tough race!

Damaris

Cyberic

Hey man, way to hang tough. Congrats on your first 50k! Did the cramps go away after you took the salt tabs?

hog4life

Hey man, way to hang tough. Congrats on your first 50k! Did the cramps go away after you took the salt tabs?

Yes they did! I wished I had them way earlier!

Cyberic

Yes they did! I wished I had them way earlier!

I have cramping issues in longer races, too. I'll give those a try.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Way to tough it out. The last part of the race sounds absolutely miserable.

So, um asking for a friend who is considering one of these, how many miles per week did you do leading up to this and what sort of long runs?

delicate flower

Nice job, Hog!!  Sounds hard.

<3

GinnyinPA

That looks like a lovely place to run/hike.  Congratulations on the good finish, despite the cramps. Are you doing the marathon next?

hog4life

Way to tough it out. The last part of the race sounds absolutely miserable.

So, um asking for a friend who is considering one of these, how many miles per week did you do leading up to this and what sort of long runs?

My log is open, so feel free to look if you like. In 2015 when I was “training” for this challenge, I was running 6-7 days per week, for around 42 mpw average with mid 50’s peak. The LR’s were consistently 16-21.

Fast forward to now, running 2-4 days per week for 28 avg, peak at 40 per week, with LR’s 16-21. I just finished MCM back in Oct, and I went into that as a training run for the 50k.

hog4life

That looks like a lovely place to run/hike.  Congratulations on the good finish, despite the cramps. Are you doing the marathon next?

Ginny, yes on the Marathon. Will you be here?

Congrats! Great time and awesome pics!

workinprogress11

Congratulations on your first 50k. That course looks like a killer. Great job!

Beautiful pictures, sounds (and looks) like a tough race.  Congratulations on breaking the seal on the Ultras, and with a great debut too!

Coastal

Enjoyed the report.  Too bad about the cramping but you learned how to prevent them for the future.  Cool medal.

breadnatty08

I remember cramping for the first time during my longest race ever last year (mile 40ish of 70mi) and it was pretty scary having never experienced it.  Taking in salt pills during hot races (basically, anything above 60f) is key on both cramping and helping my stomach take in calories.

Anyway, congrats on your first 50k!  Hoping you stick with it; as you said the trail/ultra community is amazing.  I've heard awesome things about Mountain Mist, it's up there on a list of races to run.

Find me on Strava