Beginners and Beyond

RR - Freezer 5K (Read 45 times)

What:  Freezer 5K, a fairly popular event with a good after-party and the unofficial end of the season for downtown races.

Where: Buffalo NY, cobblestone district near the hockey arena, going out and back to the Erie Basin Marina.  Very flat and fast, with a long tailwind-aided straightaway to the finish.

Weather: mid-upper 30s under a gloomy, misty overcast pall.  The pavement was wet but clear, *far* superior to last year's slog through thick snow in 17 degrees.

Some of the Bloody Nipples Athletic Club in attendance:

I got in a good warmup, stretch, and the all-important bathroom visits, opting for an almost summery ensemble of singlet over tee, light shorts, and racing flats, with gloves being the only cold-weather gear.  A lot of runners looked overdressed.  By 200 meters, I knew that this would be an opportunity to go big and started to focus on form and speed, drawing away from the earliest pace setters rather than hanging around.

Video taken at roughly 1/3 mile

It was just after that spot that I started to think about how the placing might go, and based on seeing no unbeatable runners in the corral, my theory was perhaps top 3 spots going to my buddy Zach, me, and the kid in the neon Nike hoodie.

All the way down to the turnaround on the waterfront, I was really internally focused, barely acknowledging the cheers of spectators, hearing footfalls at my shoulder, keeping the feet quick and not heel-strikey, knees bent to swing through, arms high and in, hips rotating, torso leaning forwards from the hips to make the strides fall forwards easily.  Thinking it was Neon Nike on my tail, an unknown who looked fast.  Surging every time I felt him making a move.

Around the circle to come back towards downtown, I glimpsed back and saw that my shadow was Zach.  Sweet!  I would much rather have a friend and teammate win than a random kid.  I resisted the urge to allow that relief to transform into relaxing though.  Race just as hard on the way back, regardless of who's there.  Now, I allowed myself a faint nod in reply to the cheering runners that were still headed out.  Zach still right there, no conversation now.  (Earlier, in the video, he is making a crack about one of us needing to know where to go onto a pedestrian path or having a whole lot of people going the wrong way.  No sweat, there were volunteers clearly marking the path.)

2 mile marker, and I know that this is going to be a fast one.  "Run like you're running the mile now", I thought.

Around 2.5, Zach started to fall off just the tiniest bit.  He had never gotten out front, because I had kept surging every time he tried, haha.  But, I knew that he knew that I have a good kick, and that he'd want to get out ahead of it if possible.  So, I picked it up earlier than felt prudent and came down off the pedestrian track, under the newly built arch of Canalside, onto that monster drag-race strip of a finish that is one of my favorite parts of racing in this city.  I can't feel Zach behind me anymore, but I pour it on full tilt past the First Niagara Center, headed for that clock.  And that clock is ticking at 16:45...46...47...

Flashback to the horror of knowing that I wasn't going to make it at the Adirondack Marathon.  Today I was going to make it or injure something trying.  It was a solid 16:58 as I crossed the line, but I'd have to wait to see the official results board to be sure.

I congratulated Zach and told him that I couldn't have done it without him pushing the pace.  He has beaten me plenty of times, and either result would have been totally OK.  We were happily surprised to see two more BNAC guys come in 3 and 4, with Neon Nike falling to a distant 5th.

Down the home stretch (B+, you will be pleased to know that yes, there are 4 Mizuno Ekidens in this picture):

Post race:

There was pizza and craft beer afterwards and awards.  I got an ice cube trophy, a box of Lucky Charms cereal, a shoe case, and a gift certificate to the LRS for any New Balance pair of shoes up to a $120 value! The 16:58 was official, my second time ever under 17. Not a bad day at all.

(Pics 1,3,4 by Lynn Miller, 2 by Diane Sardes)

Zelanie

Congrats, Jay, super racing as usual!  You guys all look great in that video!  So relaxed at a pace faster than I do my strides at!

Great race, and nice swag. Just another day at the office for you, I guess.

keeping the feet quick and not heel-strikey, knees bent to swing through, arms high and in, hips rotating, torso leaning forwards from the hips to make the strides fall forwards easily.  

I don't even know about this stuff. I guess this is how fast guys get even faster.

You mentioned people overdressing - fun to notice in the video the progression of increased amount of clothing through the field; looked like the people further back were running in completely different weather.

Also cool to see in the photo the distance between Zach & #3 - can't even see anyone there.

Big congrats on another win!

Dave

Cyberic

So relaxed at a pace faster than I do my strides at!

This^^

Congrats on a great time, and 1st place!

delicate flower

Dang.  Good stuff.  Is there like a stretch or something I should be doing to help me run that fast?

<3

happylily

You always write such thrilling RRs, I just love reading them! Huge congratulations on a most amazing performance, Jay. You are getting faster as you get older, it is wonderful for us all to be witnessing this.  I am envious of all those prizes you received, but you truly deserved them. A shoe box? As in for storage? It looks like a great group of people you have there with you and you look completely happy. That makes me happy too.

P.S. Maybe I missed this in the past, but are you of Polish descent?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

B-Plus

Congrats Jay! You always bring your A-game, even this time of year.

Down the home stretch (B+, you will be pleased to know that yes, there are 4 Mizuno Ekidens in this picture):

Lol! That saved me from zooming in.

My big question is did he know that you knew that he knew that you have a good kick?

tracilynn

Pro status!

congrats on a super fast race and win

~~~~~~~

Traci

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Merry Christmas, wrap them up and put them under the tree.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Heck yes! Maybe I should try thinking about form and technique when the pain of a 5k sets in...

Way to get the inside corner on that turn (in the video). Videos can be deceiving because even your front group looked to be out for a little jog but in reality you were hauling ass.

Great post race swag.

outoftheblue

I love hearing how races go from the front of the pack.  Excellent racing, Jay!

Life is good.

LRB

Nicely done Jay, congrats on another win running in a strong field!

Putting yourself in position early to tap into your mental force late in the race is something I strive to do.

With your injury woes well in your rearview mirror and your newfound appreciation for flexibility and core stuff, the sky is the limit for 2015. Will you be training right through the off season feeling fresh from the extended time off last summer or taking a break?

Mmmmm...beer

Outstanding race and report!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Jay, that video is the ONLY way I want to see snow...on TV, in pictures or photos...never in person any more!

Congrats on your race!  Nice report!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

workinprogress11

Great race!  I would have been one of the overdressed ones. I enjoyed the RR. Congratulations on a nice win!