Beginners and Beyond

Saturday (Read 41 times)

LRB

onemile

I'm thinking about buying a new garmin that works in this cold weather. Which one should I buy?

I need the ability to program fancy workouts at a minimum.  also, I'd like to give the wrist hrm a try.

I'm thinking about buying a new garmin that works in this cold weather. Which one should I buy?

I need the ability to program fancy workouts at a minimum.  also, I'd like to give the wrist hrm a try.

Which one do you have? I'd think the 235 would meet the basic requirements, but IDK how to determine what works in the cold.

Dave

onemile

Which one do you have? I'd think the 235 would meet the basic requirements, but IDK how to determine what works in the cold.

Garmin 630. I have been doing all my runs with it under my jacket sleeve so it doesn't shut itself down.

I don't know how to determine that either. Except I think Cyberic said the fenix works in the cold. Which the 5S is sort of tempting but it's awfully expensive for the short lives these watches have

onemile

What is funny is that almost every run I have done "blind" can't see the garmin, ends up being an 8:25 pace, give or take a second.

Garmin 630. I have been doing all my runs with it under my jacket sleeve so it doesn't shut itself down.

I don't know how to determine that either. Except I think Cyberic said the fenix works in the cold. Which the 5S is sort of tempting but it's awfully expensive for the short lives these watches have

Ugh yes. The 630 is touch screen, right? I wonder if that is in some way related to issues in the cold.

This question may be worth actually venturing into the main boards here.

MTA: some googling suggests it's just related to Li ion batteries in general, and your best bet is to ensure you start with a high level of charge.

Dave

LRB

I had/have the same issue with my 630. You might try turning off the vibrating alert. Other than that, the 245 is due out this month depending on which source you believe. That should drop the price on the 235 significantly, which would make such an "experiment" feasible. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot. Unless you go fenix, apparently.

LRB

It might've been the 645 that's due out this month. If I recall correctly, there was a glitch with the music storage that was holding it up.

Cyberic

It's supposed to be the type of battery BUT my Timex had a lithium ion battery and was no good in the cold. The 610 had a li-ion battery and never shut down. My 620 had a ... you get where I'm going at.

Amount of charge makes sense, but my watch is always at least 95% full battery. I charge it after every run. The Fenix has a ridiculous battery capacity, so that could explain it.

But not sure what it is exactly. Do some models insulate the battery better?

Anyways, I wimped out this morning. -40 wind chill. Real temp -5 or something, but the wind!!! So I went to the indoor track. Although runnable outside, I needed a break.

15min wu + 3 x ( 15min sub3 MP w/5min jog) + 15min cd

Cold is almost gone. Coughed a bit, but barely.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

6 this morning in 10 degrees and 20 mpw winds.  Going downhill in a headwind was a running oxymoron.

Edit - My 220 seems to work ok in the cold.  I'll have to upgrade eventually to the Fenix for longer battery life, but for daily jaunts, the 220 is reliable.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Runshortii

I'd think the 235 would meet the basic requirements, but IDK how to determine what works in the cold.

I haven’t had an issue with mine in the cold, but I notice the battery does drain slightly quicker though, but it hasn’t gotten past 50% charged when I’ve started at 100%. The wrist HRM isn’t always accurate though

Coastal

My 910 worked OK in the cold, but the coldest I've been out in was 11F.  Nothing like the crazy temps some of you are dealing with.  Temps above that didn't used to seem to bother it.  It has a pretty good sized battery (for it's time) so maybe reduced capacity issues didn't show up in an hour or two spent running.  You could look around and see if any 920's are still around?

delicate flower

Re: Garmin in the cold, my old 620 hated it too. No problem at all with the 920 and I ran last week in single digits with -10 wind chill with my device over my sleeve. I think the multisport watches are designed to handle harsher conditions so I assume the 935 (optical HRM) would work well in the cold.

<3

delicate flower

Re: today's run, I'll head out in a couple hours, outside in the FTS cold. Anywhere from 4-8 miles depending on how I feel.

<3

Cyberic

Re: Garmin in the cold, my old 620 hated it too. No problem at all with the 920 and I ran last week in single digits with -10 wind chill with my device over my sleeve. I think the multisport watches are designed to handle harsher conditions so I assume the 935 (optical HRM) would work well in the cold.

Maybe because multisport watches have a better battery to handle them long triathlons. Just putting my hypothesis to the test, here.

MTA: But you have a good hypothesis too (harsher conditions).