Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday, OMG is it early, the first Penguins Post for the year (Read 178 times)

Jen2011

Just checking in really quickly to say the 10K went well.  It was about 38 degrees, a light misty rain, and breezy.  The weather didn't bother me as much as the killer hills.  This race definitely had the worst hills I have ever run on.  Turnout seemed lower this year, maybe due to the weather.  I had a great run.  Just some slight pain in my knee and hamstring, but not as bad as this weekend, so I think the rest helped.  I was actually dead last at the beginning of the race, with the police car following closely behind me.  I ran the first mile pretty fast for me, so I didn't want to speed up too early and run out of steam later.  I ended up passing several people, so I didn't finish last.  With the epic hills (that DH warned me about, because he ran this race last year) I wasn't expecting to PR, but I wanted to run the entire race and finish strong, which I did.  It was also my son's first 10K, and he placed 3rd in his AG, and DH was 1st in his.

I think the biggest thing about this race was reflecting on what I've accomplished in the last year.  At this race last year, I did the 5K, and was still in C25K, so I used the race more as a day of the plan, which I remember was a 25 minute run with no walk breaks.  I did that last year and then ran/walked the remaining part of the 5K.  This year, I ran the entire 10K, on a much more difficult course.  I know I have a long way to go, but I'm excited about the journey ahead!

Thanks for reading!  I'm heading over to my parent's house for New Year's Dinner, so I'll pop in for personals later.

Have a great day everyone!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Guess we better re-assess our goals !!!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/latest/15744853/couple-to-run-365-marathons-in-2013/

SheCan

Just checking in really quickly to say the 10K went well.  It was about 38 degrees, a light misty rain, and breezy.  The weather didn't bother me as much as the killer hills.  This race definitely had the worst hills I have ever run on.  Turnout seemed lower this year, maybe due to the weather.  I had a great run.  Just some slight pain in my knee and hamstring, but not as bad as this weekend, so I think the rest helped.  I was actually dead last at the beginning of the race, with the police car following closely behind me.  I ran the first mile pretty fast for me, so I didn't want to speed up too early and run out of steam later.  I ended up passing several people, so I didn't finish last.  With the epic hills (that DH warned me about, because he ran this race last year) I wasn't expecting to PR, but I wanted to run the entire race and finish strong, which I did.  It was also my son's first 10K, and he placed 3rd in his AG, and DH was 1st in his.

I think the biggest thing about this race was reflecting on what I've accomplished in the last year.  At this race last year, I did the 5K, and was still in C25K, so I used the race more as a day of the plan, which I remember was a 25 minute run with no walk breaks.  I did that last year and then ran/walked the remaining part of the 5K.  This year, I ran the entire 10K, on a much more difficult course.  I know I have a long way to go, but I'm excited about the journey ahead!

Thanks for reading!  I'm heading over to my parent's house for New Year's Dinner, so I'll pop in for personals later.

Awesome job, Jen!   I've been last at the beginning of several races.  It never bothered me because i always end up passing a bunch of people.  Good for you for conserving that energy to finish strong.  I bet all them hills were really good training for you.  You should sign up for a flat 10k next week!  Hehe-- okay just kidding.  Your husband and son also did fantastic.  Good for them.  And most of all, congratulations on all the strides you've made this year.  How exciting.  Best of luck in the coming year!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Happy New Year everyone!!

Vance, I hope you had a nice day.

Damaris, I hope the 15 went well.

Jerry, I’m glad you got the run in but ugh to the walkers with no manners.

Kristi, I hope the run went well, whatever you ended up deciding to do.

Robert, way to go on the run!

Gustav, you must have needed the sleep.

Jen. Good luck!

Kristin, oh no!!! Foam roll, stretch, strength train, and use the stick on that.

Mitch, that is awful that they didn’t tell you there was no work!

Dave, I’m glad you had a good time last night.  Good luck on the 10k next weekend!

Tori, ekkkk for graduation! It’s going to be here before you know it.

Traci, I hope the workouts went well.

Zelanie, I hope the 7 went well!  It sounds like you have such a fun day planned.  The King Tut exhibit sounds great!

Jack, enjoy!

Lauren, oh no, I hope your shins feel better soon.

Tomas, great job getting the run in.

MNMickey, I hope you are back to 100% soon.

CoralieT, boo to being sick.

Jimmy, what’s up?  Were you sick or injured?  I think I’m going to have to adjust my goal for my HM in March too Surprised(

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Great job on your races all racing Penguins!

Thanks for encouragement and advice guys

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

Hi guys!

7M w/ 3M at 15k speed.. Pretty new to pfitz, so where do I slot in the 3M? I slot it in after 2M of slow job.. Am I doing it right?

2M slog - 3M @ 15K (tempo), 2M slow

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I'll need your advice for running in the Knoxville hills.  Congrats on the 10k.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I slept til noon today.  It was a long night of fun and stuff.

I only had 4.5 miles scheduled for tonight though.  So, I was able to knock that our pretty quickly.  Tomorrow is an even shorter run, but it's 4 min hard and 3 min easy.  Specific I know.  Who am I to question Jack Daniels though.  Will still hit 38.4 miles this week.  Not bad for my first full week back.  The knee is feeling great.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

tracilynn

I have a dumb question about intervals.  i have to do my first interrval tomorrow.  5 x 400m at 5k pace... my question is how long do I recover for?  Just until I can breathe or a certain time or distance?  5k pace for 400m then jog 400m ?

Awood, glad the knee is feeling good

Welcome back jimmy and steph! Dont stay away for so long

Jen, congrats on your 10k

Jerry, those people are hardcore

Bin, I have no idea about your intervals, I cant even figure out my simple one Big grin

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

I would do 200m (I think Higdon explains it on the website (above the plan)).

I have a dumb question about intervals.  i have to do my first interrval tomorrow.  5 x 400m at 5k pace... my question is how long do I recover for?  Just until I can breathe or a certain time or distance?  5k pace for 400m then jog 400m ?

Awood, glad the knee is feeling good

Welcome back jimmy and steph! Dont stay away for so long

Jen, congrats on your 10k

Jerry, those people are hardcore

Bin, I have no idea about your intervals, I cant even figure out my simple one Big grin

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Sloooow.

Did 2.1 miles on the treadmill and sat here feeling quite dizzy. Urgh. I sucked on one of those menthol lozenge thingies, while I was running, which helped clear my nose. Still felt pretty crappy though. Very proud of myself for getting on the bloody thing at all.

I don't follow a speciific plan, but when I do 800 repeats, I warm up then go hard for 800 meters and en an easy jog for 400. I repeat that about 8 times.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Jen2011

Back home, and finally done with holiday meals!  Yea!

Vance, glad you had a great new year's celebration.  Hope the day at work wasn't too bad.

Damaris, hope you had a good run today!

Jerry, hope the run went alright and that you are feeling better soon.  Congestion sucks!  Btw, I totally agree - GO Huskies!  (I spent 3 semesters at NIU before I moved south.)  As far as the hills at my race, my normal routes have rolling hills, so I'm used to hills, but this race was continuous steep hills.  I can't say I have any secrets - I just kept putting one foot in front of the other, and was determined not to walk.

Kristi, hope you run went well, whichever route you chose to take!

Robert, great job on the early morning run!  Hope your day was great!

Gustav, glad you had a good time with the family.  Here's to more motivation in 2013!

Kristin, I'm so sorry about your knee!  Hang in there!

Mitch, that is terrible that you drove all the way to work for nothing!!  That new boss needs to catch a clue!  Hope the rain subsided a bit and you got a run in today, but if not, hope you enjoyed the RD!

Dave, read your RR - awesome job!!  Hope the 8 went well!

Tori, sorry about the continued snow.  But here's to a great 2013 for you!!

Traci, hope your strength and stretch workout was a good one!

Zelanie, I hope you enjoy the trip with your DD!

Jack, enjoy the trip!

Lauren, glad to hear that your run went well today.  Hope the PT has good news and you can ease back in to running soon!

Tomas, great job on the 4 miles, despite the wind!

Mickey, "chilly" is quite an understatement!!  Wow!  -4 degrees!!  Great job braving those temps!

B-Plus, happy new year!

Cherie, great job on the LR and recovery miles!!  Thanks so much for the kind words!

Coralie, so sorry to hear you are sick!  Take care of yourself!

Jimmy, remember that this is a journey, not a destination, and even though you may have to readjust your goal for THIS half, it doesn't mean that you can't continue to challenge yourself with future races.

Bin, I'm sorry I can't help you with your question, but I'm sure someone else here can.  I'm sure you did a great job though!

Awood, glad you had a good night and good run today, and that your knee feels great!

Steph, happy new year to you too!

Have a great night Penguins!!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Dad on the run.

Steph - been sick. Went from a head cold, chest cold to a sinus infection. Feeling much better now though.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Bin Running

Normally, the recovery is half the distance of the intervals.. Does the book mentioned? Pfitzinger plan called for active recovery by duration.. which normally translate to abt half the distance for my 800m repeat.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar