Beginners and Beyond

Stressed out Saturday Penguins (Read 24 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) Big grin

Zelanie

Hi Pens!  The new school year is coming in like a ton of bricks.  Can it just be October already, please?

But in running news, I plan to run 5 today.  I am looking forward to that quite a bit.  Good luck to today's runners!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Zel: I am already done with two full weeks.

As for my run, I did four recovery miles. Very uneventful, which is nice.

have a good day.

tracilynn

hey everyone!

Im on vacation at the beach and we have had loads of fun(and calories ugh). Did something today that I have never done.  I ran 3.5 on a treadmill. No music just watched the waves and pelicans.  The treadmill is boring, I agree.

4 days rest and shin is no longer sore. Hope it stays that way.

Did a 1m20s plank last night. Happy about that. I struggled to do 55 secs just a couple weeks ago.

Happy Saturday everyone!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hey Zel, nice running.  Please don't let it skip to October.  I have a race in September, and one in November.  You want to hop through time and skip all of my races.

Jack - Recovery runs are like that.  Uneventful that is.  Have a good one.

Traci - I'm not sure I could stay on a treadmill if I could see a beach in front of me.  Congrats on the discipline.

AFM - WOW cruise intervals at tempo pace really make your long run go faster.  I got in 16 miles in 2 hours 22 minutes.  I'm glad it didn't take much longer, it just kept getting hotter and hotter.  It was cool to see numbers like 7:35 on the Garmin from time to time late in a 16 mile run.  With the heat, I tried to keep the tempo pace by feel.  Depending on whether it was uphill or downhill it ranged between 7:35 and 8:00.  Fun, fun, fun!!!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

Awood, your paces are getting super fast. You are going to rock that full.

Traci, enjoy the rest of your beach time. I started on a TM, but don't think I could run on one now.

Zel and Jack, thanks for being teachers, don't think I could make it in that field. Nice runs!

I sorta raced a 7k today(4.35 miles), my goal was to run between 8:30-9:00 pace. I finished in 38:10 for an 8:46 pace. I've been running so many easy miles dealing with this darned PF, that the 8:46 felt hard. But that's okay, I know the speed will come back, eventually. I did another plank last night before bed, 2:31.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Nice job on the 7k, and I don't have a clue how you guys plank that long.  I'm on par with Scotty with the planking thing.  We'll see if I improve.  I'm just glad that I can see my abs...lol  I never thought I'd see them.

I'm still not sure what kind of pace to shoot for in my tune up race, or the marathon...lol  I have a very vague idea.  I'm really considering running a hard 5K next Monday.  I recover so quickly from 5K's that I don't think it will interrupt my training at all.  I'd probably come home and run a tempo run the same day.  I'd just use that day to replace my Tuesday quality workout.  I know a 5K isn't perfect for predicting your HM, but it's worked for me in the past rather well.  The other thing is that the 5K next Monday is the first 5K I ran when I started running last year (31:02).  Yes, I had run other races when I was younger, but I wasn't a runner.  I was an athlete that ran races in the off season just for fun.  I couldn't tell you what my times were.  I can only tell you that I wasn't wearing the right shoes, I usually high fived anyone who was willing to put a hand out, and I left before the awards unless they were giving out door prizes.  So, I don't count any of that.

Awood, your paces are getting super fast. You are going to rock that full.

Traci, enjoy the rest of your beach time. I started on a TM, but don't think I could run on one now.

Zel and Jack, thanks for being teachers, don't think I could make it in that field. Nice runs!

I sorta raced a 7k today(4.35 miles), my goal was to run between 8:30-9:00 pace. I finished in 38:10 for an 8:46 pace. I've been running so many easy miles dealing with this darned PF, that the 8:46 felt hard. But that's okay, I know the speed will come back, eventually. I did another plank last night before bed, 2:31.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

hog4life

Awood, I'm not so sure a 5k is indicitive of marathon pace, probably not even HM pace. When I used my 5k PR on McMillian, it showed I could run a 1:46 if I remember correctly, and I knew that this was not possible, but it did give me good paces to train at. Then I added some time to make my goal. Going to check something.....back. McMillian says I should run a 1:49 half and a 3:49 full. My best half is 1:51:33, my goal for the full was going to be 4:10, but PF has got me thinking 4:45-5:00. Maybe spring will get me a more healthy cycle. Oh, and I am also thinking about the AL 3N3. Its all 3 Alabama's marathons, Huntsville, Mobile, Birmingham, and you get some special swag for completing all 3. If not this year, maybe next.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I think it's different for everybody.  Every time I've used a 5K to calculate my HM pace, I've beat my predicted time.  I really only use the projected pace for the first few miles, and then adjust based on how I feel.  It's a good starting point, and I tend to speed up and beat the projection.  I don't know if I need to run my 5K's harder, or if I'm just better in the longer races.  I just like to have it as a security blanket.

Then, there's the nostalgia of the Blueberry Stomp being my first race.  It's part of the Blueberry Festival, and they literally spread blueberries across the starting line for the runners to stomp.  The streets are usually lined with more people than there are people living in the town, because the race is actually the first part of the parade.  It's a small town race, but EVERYBODY comes out even from the neighboring towns and some from pretty far away.  It's in Morgan Ueceny's home town.  So, they've all suddenly taken an interest in running...lol

My thinking is that it wouldn't hurt, and it may help in a small way.  I still have to see how I feel after next weekend's long run though.

Awood, I'm not so sure a 5k is indicitive of marathon pace, probably not even HM pace. When I used my 5k PR on McMillian, it showed I could run a 1:46 if I remember correctly, and I knew that this was not possible, but it did give me good paces to train at. Then I added some time to make my goal. Going to check something.....back. McMillian says I should run a 1:49 half and a 3:49 full. My best half is 1:51:33, my goal for the full was going to be 4:10, but PF has got me thinking 4:45-5:00. Maybe spring will get me a more healthy cycle. Oh, and I am also thinking about the AL 3N3. Its all 3 Alabama's marathons, Huntsville, Mobile, Birmingham, and you get some special swag for completing all 3. If not this year, maybe next.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

hog4life

Yea, maybe better at the longer distances.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I still haven't run a 5K that would be considered the equivalent of my 10K time, and I've only run one 10K.  I literally just went out at the 10K using my 5K pace and held on.  That's not supposed to be a good strategy...lol

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Based on my 5k time, McMillian says I can run a marathon in 3:18. That's not happening.

hog4life

Based on my 5k time, McMillian says I can run a marathon in 3:18. That's not happening.

Maybe not now, but if you kept training for the distance, I bet you could. That's exactly how I felt about my half time, especially before I could do a LR of 10 miles. I almost believe I could do the 3:49 if I focused on it, but not sure I have the time to put in that kind of training. Heck, I can't do a 5k at my PR pace right now.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

We'll see, Hog. I am at the end of week 3 of my marathon plan. So far, so good<fingers crossed>.

Zelanie

I think the key here is, "with equivalent training for the distance."  Awood, you've been training for distance.  So I would think that your 5K is slower than it would be if you'd been training specifically for it.   So that makes it line up more closely than it "should" with your distance times.

But from everything I've heard, the marathon is a whole different animal, and most people are slower for the marathon than they "should" be based on their other races.  Respect the distance and all.

Traci- If you had waves and pelicans to watch, it does NOT count as a TM run!  I usually have a bit of wall that I stare at.

Jack- No wonder you'll be able to take of labor day weekend, then!

Mitch- Glad you got out to a race today!

I ran 7 today because I decided I wanted an easier run tomorrow.  Got my new Blerch shirt from the Oatmeal in to run in, which was fun.  And I realized that I forgot to plank yesterday. Shocked  Oh well, streak day 1 will start today.