Beginners and Beyond

Monday Morning Penguins (Read 21 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

Morning, ran 3 of the 6 I wanted. My calves are still sore. I think I've got so many knots they are just one big knot!

I tried working on one of them last night now I've got a big bruise where I worked.

Zelanie

Hey guys.  Feeling pretty good after the weekend's races.  I'll probably take a RD, but since it's a half day at work, I might just sneak in a few easy miles this afternoon.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I had a lovely weekend with my folks.  Between the four of us, we bought a lot of clothes, bought a new couch, took the old dead couch to the dump, ate good food, baked a pound cake, cleaned the gutters, limed the yard, fixed a flat tire, and played two games of canasta.  So today I have to pay off the couch, look for a slipcover, write an article for my chorus/quartet, and oh right, I have work to do too.  Smile  I have my first PT appt tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.

PAD -- you swapped to lower drop shoes, right?  That will make your calves quite sore if you don't ease into them.

Zel -- a half day and some sneaky miles sounds wonderful!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  Today is supposed to be a RD but it is really nice out today and will be rainy tomorrow so I may go for a run in a bit.  I have a bit of a sinus headache (damn pollen) but I'm hoping the claritin D and advil kick in soon and my sinuses drain so I can go out there and enjoy the weather.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

I will get some miles in later today. I don't know how many... or I may just run for 60 minutes or whatever. It's kind of nice not being a slave to a schedule.

See ya.

From the Internet.

Afternoon pens. Rest day, being annoyed with my legs. Just under 5 weeks left until my half, I smashed a bunch of knots out of my calves last night and my left shin feels better but not quite 100% yet. Hard to tell at this point if it's overly sensitive because I've been poking at it so much or if I need to start worrying about a stress fracture. I tend to be skeptical since the soreness is somewhat diffuse and either improved or disappeared entirely depending on which knot I was working on last night, but the fear is still there.

GinnyinPA

PAD - I think HopesMom has a good point.  Changing the shoe drop changes the way your muscles work.  Maybe try some heat to ease the pain in your muscles.

Z - enjoy your half day.  I hope you get outside to enjoy the spring weather, one way or another.

HM - busy busy weekend.  I hope your PT can help your knees.

sapf - I understand about the sinus issue.  Spring has sprung here too.  Enjoy your run, if you go.

Jack - as disciplined as you are with your training, I imagine it does feel good to just run when you want.  I take it you are no longer doing the marathon?  Is there a half associated with it that you will do?  What about your wife, is she doing the full?

Lauren - five weeks is plenty of time to get healed.  I do understand the fear that the pain is serious, but as long as you are finding knots, that seems like the more likely explanation. Can you hop on that leg?

SRD here.  It's warm (75) this afternoon, so we may take Ben out to the lake at Cowans Gap for a short hike.  He loves playing in the water.

From the Internet.

I can hop on it, and the frustrating part is that I feel absolutely nothing while running, it's just afterward that it's sore. If it hurt mid-run I'd know to stop, but I get no indication of whether it's going to be angry or not until 3-5 hours or more post-run.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ginny: Yes, there is a HM and I can switch to that if I like. If I can get in one or maybe two decent long runs of 15-20 miles I may try to jog/walk the marathon (this time I mean it).  If the knee does not allow me to run long I will do the HM, no big deal.. DW is still running the marathon and she is training very well. She had her last 20 miler on Saturday and is now in taper mode.

PADRunner

PAD - I think HopesMom has a good point.  Changing the shoe drop changes the way your muscles work.  Maybe try some heat to ease the pain in your muscles.

They've been sore since my marathon. I've only worn the new shoes for one run and one race.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Morning, ran 3 of the 6 I wanted. My calves are still sore. I think I've got so many knots they are just one big knot!

I tried working on one of them last night now I've got a big bruise where I worked.

It took me about a week+ post Marathon to start 'falling apart' and feeling the affects.

You also just raced a 5k (1 week post marathon) and in 0 drop, 0 cushion shoes...

Expect it to get tougher for the next few weeks.  Just keep at it.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Ginny, rest/hike sounds nice!

Jack, have a good run.

PAD & Lauren - sorry your legs aren't behaving. 

Zel, I hope you get some fun sneaky miles in.

Jill, I hope you get a run in before the rain and that your sinuses behave.

HopesMom, I went to the dump this weekend, too. Big grin  I think it was our 8th trip in the last few weeks.  We could have/should have rented a dumpster for the fees we've paid!

I ran 4.8 miles this morning with a friend. It was nice.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Busy Monday at the university today, just getting to read the forum posts now!

Rest day for me, but will probably mow the lawn when I get home.  It's getting pretty wild after almost a week of rain!

Did my 17th race of 2015 on Saturday in, of all places, Luckenbach, Texas.  Willie was not there, unfortunately.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/37e33f76f7e449119f59a0f949557db5/resume#focus

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Kathleen - I just saw your post from last night.  I hope you're feeling better.  You were right to skip your long run when you're getting sick.  It won't hurt your fitness, and it will give you a chance to get well sooner.