Beginners and Beyond

Just A Short Run Half Marathon Race Report (3.30.13) (Read 102 times)

Queen Of The Race Report

Oh, Just A Short Run. Otherwise known as the Race In Which I Did Not Understand Its Name Until After Getting Home And Putting On My Shorts From The Race.

That’s true. Well, partially true. Rosalita is not english-speaking, as she is of Latin dissent. How much she really understood is up in the air, however, as she has issues understanding basic life tasks, like “What Happens When A Door Is Closed And I Have To Get Out Of The Closet.” One would think you have a few options here, like Claw At The Door or Push The Door Open, or, as a last resort, Cry For Help. However, she just sits and accepts that she is stuck in a closet and will sit there for days until one of us is like “Where is the bowling-ball shaped cat we have, you know, the one of Latin dissent?” and another one goes “SHIT, FUCK, GODDAMN, I CLOSED THE CLOSET DOOR FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 8 MONTHS LAST WEEK, I BET SHE IS IN THERE.” Obviously the first person in this completely hypothetical conversation is Frank, as 1) he doesn’t swear, like ever, and 2) he doesn’t close closet doors either.

So, ANYWAY. It’s upon us. 2013 Half Marathon Season for one Ms. Stacey Caine. However, I have to point out that I will only run two halfs this year under that alias, as after June 1st, I’ll be Mrs. Stacey Purpura. I know you don’t know how to say it, I know you never will, but please don’t google it.

Now that most of you have googled it and had to bleach your eyeballs at the google images that came up under “Purpura,” I will continue on with my very exciting account of the Just A Short Run Half.

Right. It’s gonna be a good year.

So, like most of the Pittsburgh races I run, I made my friend Sandy Pance gather my race bib and bag (Sidenote: my race shorts had giant holes in both sides, but the good people of Elite Runners/Walkers mailed me a Men’s Small (roughly the equivalent of Women’s Medium) when I told them about it, so good on them for being super fantastic and not just saying “OH WELL TOO BAD” like they totally could have.) and I stayed with her.

When I got there, her small human greeted me at the door with a book. What was this? I was to read it. So, I did. But first, she gave me this:

I was told prior to arriving that I was GOING TO LOVE IT AND I WOULD BE SO HAPPY. Good call, small human. I WAS so happy and I DO love it. We blew some bubbles for their large cat, who remained unimpressed. Like. You do that to my cats and they go apeshit. This cat didn’t have the time of day. So. There was that.

So I read this ancient book to Elena that had words in it like “gay” meaning happy and I tried to act like that was normal, but it’s sort of not normal anymore. Then it was bedtime for her and Sitting Around time for Sandy and myself.

Because Ben was driving us the next day, we didn’t have to leave until like 7:45 am or some ridiculously (for a race day) late time, and I felt amazingly well-rested and ready to run that day. Like. That never happens. But ok.

We got there and got into line for the bathrooms instead of a porta-potty at the start and made it out just in time for some lady to snap our photo (WHERE IS THAT PHOTO, BY THE WAY? A PIECE OF MY SOUL IS OUT THERE SOMEWHERE.) and walk to the start, where the race had JUUUUUUST started. Since it was chip-timed, it was awesome, and I was warmed up from the walk over. Perfect.

Right.

So, here’s the thing with the Just A Short Run. There is a 5K (which Sandy and her fetus did), an 8.1 mile, a half, and a 30K. I think it’s a 30K. We’ll call it a 30K, no one cares. Anyway, in that first 5K, then, there are a lotta peeps. And there is a HUGE HILL.

Sidenote: I just googled GIANT HILL for you, and this happened: Click it. I don’t even know, dude. I don’t even know.

My first three miles were:

10:44 (Dodging slower runners, since I started late)

9:56 (I THINK the hill is in this mile, so under 10:00 was somewhat exciting)

9:47

I had gone into this with one real goal, and that was to beat last year’s time (my knee was a little achy, and LAST year my knee was ALSO weird, so I felt that was ok) (2:27:49).

So, I don’t know. I had internal dialog around this time which I’m sure you will find highly interesting.

Worrywart Stacey: We should slow down.

Crazypants Stacey: NO! I WANT TO RUN AND RUN!

Worrywart Stacey: No, really, we are going to probably be tired halfway through.

Crazypants Stacey: I DON’T CARE, LET’S JUST RUN!

Worrywart Stacey: What if you hurt your knee even worse?

Crazypants Stacey: WHAT KNEE? I FEEL GREAT! I WANT TO RUN REAL FAST!

Worrywart Stacey: You are impossible. Just, whatever. Do whatever.

Crazypants Stacey: RUNNNNNN!

Worrywart Stacey: Oh fuck it. Run.

So, I ran. The course is actually really nice after you get the nasty ass motherfucking hill out of the way. It’s rolling, and you do some loops of the park. I had great weather last year AND this year, too, so that helps.

Miles 4-8:

9:58

10:05

9:47

9:56

9:36

At this point, as long as I was doing under 10, I was happy. I kept thinking MAYBE I would come close to a PR, but I still didn’t REALLY think I would. I also debated trying the NOT STOPPING FOR WATER thing. But boredom won out and I stopped once, at mile 9, for a Gu I really didn’t need and some water.

Miles 9-13:

10:19 (Water break)

9:36

9:32

9:41

9:04

Around Mile 10 or 11, I started realizing I MIGHT PR. And I put on my Running Pants.

Sidenote: This is like my favorite picture of Rosalita EVER. I was in the bathtub. She was mortified.

I RAN LIKE THE WIND…Or. Like a medium-fast person. I saw Sandy cheering for me at the finish and I ran ran ran. When I crossed, I still wasn’t sure, But I THOUGHT. I THOUGHT I DID IT.

Here are my SUPER DUPER FLATTERING AS ALWAYS finish line photos.

And here are my Garmin Stats for the Geeks out there:

I KNOW THE HILL DOESN’T LOOK THAT BIG, BUT IT IS. JUST TRUST ME, IT IS.

Anyhow!!! GUYS! End time: 2:09:42 (9:54 pace)! A PR. On a tough course. Wowzers. I don’t know how I did it, but it felt really easy. I have my heart set on a sub-2:00 half someday, but I don’t know if this year is the year. HOPEFULLY.  But maybe not.

SO ANYWAY. Here is my race bling, and updated rack pictures (not THAT rack).

It would, yes. Note that it wasn’t until I got official word back did I move around the medals to reflect the PR one. So. This picture is sorta wrong, but I’m lazy.

So, then, afterwards, we played on the playground (I sat on the ground and stretched while Elena played on the playground), and Elena ran two “races,” then cried because her mean mom wouldn’t let her RACE.

All the way back to the car, the poor kid cried, “I WANNA RACE!” until we got into the car, and she stopped, looked at me with a giant tear on her cheek, and said “CAN I HAVE THAT NANNA?” Yes. Of course you can have that nanna. So, I fed her the nanna and half of my bagel.

The end.

Blog: http://runstaceyrun.tumblr.com/
    Contact Info: LiveJournal/DailyMile/Twitter: staceyloobug
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/staceypurpura

PRs: Marathon: 4:54:31 | 1/2 Marathon: 1:58:24 | 10K: 1:01:45 | 5-Mile: 46:04 | 5K: 27:01 | Longest Run: 26.2 Miles
    43 Races: (21) 5Ks | (2) 5-Milers | (3) 10Ks | (16) Half Marathons | (1) Full Marathon

Docket_Rocket

Woot!  Stacey made it.

great RR as usual!  Rosalita is too funny.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Antipodean

Hilarious as always. Plus a PR - woot!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

You're too funny! I loved the RR and cat pictures. Congrats on the PR!!! Hope the knee is ok

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

I will read the RR later, just wanted to say it took ya long enough to get here!  ; )

That was a delightful read!  Congrats on the PR.  Smile

Luke79

I will read the RR later, just wanted to say it took ya long enough to get here!  ; )

This.  Pound for pound best RR's lol.

Trail Monster

Great job! I was there doing the 30k. We'll have to run one of these together sometime. We're pretty close in pace!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Hi. I don't know who you are, but based on some of the comments I guess you've been around & I'm the new guy.

Thank you for the hugely entertaining report, and congrats on a great race.  And awesome wall o'medals.

Dave

Queen Of The Race Report

Hey, thanks everyone!

Things got super busy at work and then I went and got engaged so I've been busy. I promise in 37 days, after I'm all married and bored, I'll be back around. I've been neglecting the BF. Thanks to D for getting me here. I missed the drama with the move.

Who's running Pittsburgh Half? Anyone? The cats are excited to do that RR.

PRs: Marathon: 4:54:31 | 1/2 Marathon: 1:58:24 | 10K: 1:01:45 | 5-Mile: 46:04 | 5K: 27:01 | Longest Run: 26.2 Miles
                      43 Races: (21) 5Ks | (2) 5-Milers | (3) 10Ks | (16) Half Marathons | (1) Full Marathon

Trail Monster

My DH is doing the Pgh half. I'll probably be there cheering. Maybe we can FE! Or at least I can try to make a sign and hold it out there for you. Smile

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Queen Of The Race Report

Imma be wearing this to Pittsburgh with a white skirt:

Docket_Rocket

Very nice shirt!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Little Blue

As usual, your RR cracks me up.  Congrats on the PR (and the wedding, and all that other boring stuff.) Smile

YAYpril - B-Plus

You should formally change your last name-to-be to Purrpurra for your cats.

I loved the RR as usual. Congratulations on the PR and the upcoming nuptials. Smile