Beginners and Beyond

Where are the Wednesday Penguins? (Read 19 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

This penguin is sitting at her desk at work, having driven her husband's car to get here.  His is a 2008, with 185k miles on it, while mine's a 2012 with 95k, which we paid off last month.  So we figure if there's a potential to wreck, better to do it in his car.  But the roads were much better than yesterday, so I got here with nary a problem.  The sidewalks were another story -- climbing over snow mountains to cross the road!  Quartet rehearsal tonight with a fashion show.  We've got a gig on Feb 15th, and we're trying to figure out our costume.  So I brought three red tops, one white top, and four black tops. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I am heading out for my three month post op lasik appt. my right eye still doesn't see nearly as well as the left eye so we will see what the doctor says. I don't think that I would want to undergo any "enhancements" to fix it because going under the laser was terrifying for me. Much worse than getting an MRI for instance.

Runningwise I am going to try to do something on the treadmill this evening.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I've had a fever since Monday, so this is the first time I've been at the office all week.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Damaris - I'm sorry you're still so sick.  Could you have gotten pneumonia?  What does DH say?

HopesMom - have fun at rehearsal tonight.  I'm glad the roads are mostly clear now.  Our snow is melting at a great rate - hurray!  I may be able to do my LR this weekend on the streets!

Z - happy birthday to your daughter.

Jill - I'm sorry the eye surgery didn't give you 100%  Have fun on the TM.

AFM:  I'll do 5 or so later.  The sun is shining but the wind is blowing.  It's good for melting snow but feels chilly on my face!

Docket_Rocket

I only have a fever, so it's not pneumonia.  He said what I thought, a virus.  I have not had a fever since 6am, though.  Yay me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Hopesmom, wow you put a lot of miles on your cars!  We are trying to sell a 2004 Jeep right now with 175k miles on it which doesn't seem high to me for 12 years...but apparently folks who drive Jeeps don't use them as heavy commuter cars, so it's much higher than other similar Jeeps.

Jill, I hope your eye appointment goes well.

Damaris, feel better soon!

Ginny, have a good 5.

AFM - no running.  I have a cold which has given me a sinus headache and also moved into my chest.    Why me?!  I am laying low, trying to sleep 8 hrs at night and taking vitamin C so I'm recovered by Feb 14.  Even if I'm ill-prepared for a marathon, I'd like to at least be healthy!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Jill - I'm sorry the eye surgery didn't give you 100%  Have fun on the TM.

AFM:  I'll do 5 or so later.  The sun is shining but the wind is blowing.  It's good for melting snow but feels chilly on my face!

Oh oh it is okay.  It is just that my eyes are different - my left is 20/15 and my right is 20/20. Combined is 20/15. Or is just weird that with one eye at a time I see better with my left eye.  The doctor today said "stop checking your vision one eye at a time"  Smile next appt is not until October.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Good morning Penguins!

Hopesmom, wow you put a lot of miles on your cars!  We are trying to sell a 2004 Jeep right now with 175k miles on it which doesn't seem high to me for 12 years...but apparently folks who drive Jeeps don't use them as heavy commuter cars, so it's much higher than other similar Jeeps.

This is what a 60-mile one-way commute will do for you!

Docket_Rocket

Oh oh it is okay.  It is just that my eyes are different - my left is 20/15 and my right is 20/20. Combined is 20/15. Or is just weird that with one eye at a time I see better with my left eye.  The doctor today said "stop checking your vision one eye at a time"  Smile next appt is not until October.

I have 20/15 and 20/20 as well.  You will not notice the difference.  I do remember having foggy eyes for months.  Are you sleeping with Refresh PM on them?  That helps A LOT.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

SheCan

I'm almost scared to come in here... sounds like everyone's gotta ailment!

HM-- I just hope you don't have to wreck a car at all!   Getting y'alls costumes together sounds like a blast.   I'm such a girl, I love fashion!

Jill-- good luck to you.  I can understand why you would be scared.   Sad

Docket-- ugh@ having a fever all week.  Now that couldn't have been good.  Wonder what was going on?  Glad you're at least doing a bit better.

Brilliant:

AFM - no running.  I have a cold which has given me a sinus headache and also moved into my chest.    Why me?! 

I'm just thinking this is no good day for being a penguin.  Hope the vit C helps and you start feeling better, instead of worse.

Ginny,  hope you dont' freeze on your run.  To me, more wind is worse than lower temperature--- seems to blow all the body heat away.  Dress warmly.

I ended up with 11-1/2 today and am still feeling good and energetic, so I'm happy!  Now I need to get my butt in gear and run errands.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Cherie, maybe you and I can have good days. Smile

Ginny, thanks!

It's my DD'S 18th birthday. I will take her to ther piercing shop to get another hole in her ear  (better than her going without me and doing her nose). Then we will go out to eat, then I will try to run 4.

Sunday we will celebrate with cake and stuff.

Wandering Wally

Oy! Busy week so far. It's flying by. Got 4 miles done last night. We'd received about 4 inches of wet, heavy snow during the day. It made for a sloppy run in the evening.

Damaris - Sorry you weren't feeling well.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

That's a lot of commuting HsM.  We have 2, 2004's one with 130k and 95k on the other.  Guess we don't work much and are boring.

Good day for us.  3.2 inside run/walk for us.  It was windy so the track was an easy choice.