Beginners and Beyond

Plank Challenge (Read 138 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I was part of that challenge. I got up to 5 minutes and some odd seconds and then I injured my groin. Badly.

I'm already there, so what could possibly go wrong...?  Big grin

I like to do reps with planks of about 45 seconds each.  I don't want to try for too many minutes at once.

Running is dumb.

Zelanie

No way am I doing that with a goal race this month!  But I'd be happy to plank-challenge anybody in December!  We had a Penguin plank streak challenge a while back, and it was fun. Smile

LRB

I have no sense of how long a while is, other than I am certain time passes reeeealy slowly while holding a plank.

As long as you have been doing it, you are probably up there with Mike!

MothAudio

10:31.12 - 2nd attempt

16 miles 2:25:55 - 9:07 avg. pace - general aerobic + 1 mile cool down. Strange in that my upper body felt looser after doing this 10 minute plank. I would have though just the opposite as I could feel my deltiods begin to cramp. My lower back did begin to protest toward the end of my run.

EDIT: Moth, weren't you told by your doctors to avoid all types of valsalva maneuver? Maybe you should check first with them before starting this challenge. You haven't had any surgery to close the PFO yet, have you?

They never mentioned anything about that to me. Thanks for he heads up. When I did the plank I wasn't doing it as you describe. I was actually moving a bit side to side, so I wouldn't cramp in a static position and breathing normally.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Little Blue

I did an elbow plank for 1 minute, and could have held it, but it was just an experiment.  I need to try arms, and do it in front of a mirror to check my form.

SheCan

No way am I doing that with a goal race this month!  But I'd be happy to plank-challenge anybody in December!  We had a Penguin plank streak challenge a while back, and it was fun. Smile

I did the penguins plank streak at the time.  Missed 2 days, but I still think it was good for me.  Since then I've become lazy and rarely do them.  So instead of the challenge, I'm going to attempt to incorporate regularly into my routine this month, and try to do them most days. Thanks for the suggestion, Ric!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

obiebyke

I'm in. Let's try this. I can do about a minute right now...

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

I'm all in.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

I'm in too. Missed yesterday so did them twice today. I have no conditioning in this area, so this will be very good for me.

Jess runs for bacon

In. I am worthless for upper body. You bastards better check in daily.

Hip Redux

OK, I guess I'm in too.  Who used the extra hour today to get theirs in this morning?  lol

Jess runs for bacon

Oomph all done. Man I used to be able to hold those better.

TheSuze

A proper plank actually means you do not clasp your hands together - that actually gives you an advantage and allows you to hold it longer.  I've had many yoga teachers and trainers force my hands apart while holding a plank.

Little Blue

On the floor stretching after 8 miles, so I did a baseline arm plank.  2:00 was no problem, not sure if my hands were exactly right.  They were slightly ahead of my shoulders, instead of directly under.  Does that matter?

LRB

I got two planks in so far today one before my workout and one after.  I used my Garmin as a timer on the second one and only got up to 55 seconds, after being a tad over two minutes on the first.

I will get another couple of sets in later after I recover but now it's time fore a peanut butter, banana and honey sandwich and a tall glass of Silk!