Beginners and Beyond

Plank Challenge (Read 138 times)

Hip Redux

2 x 45 seconds plank, 2 x 30 seconds side plank.

2 x 45 seconds plank, 2 x 30 seconds side plank.

If you like side plank, try this:

Dave

Or this:

Dave

Hip Redux

DAVE.   No.

Actually, I have to do these as part of my PT, which are hard as fuck (I can do ten before I collapse).

Little Blue

So, when you do multiples, do you rest in between?  Am I supposed to be doing them in sets?

Hip Redux

So, when you do multiples, do you rest in between?  Am I supposed to be doing them in sets?

I do take a rest - just 15-30 seconds maybe? - but mostly because that's my PT routine (or at least part of it).   I'm not sure what the challenge officially wants, but I'm not a stickler for rules anyway lol

LRB

...not sure if my hands were exactly right.  They were slightly ahead of my shoulders, instead of directly under.  Does that matter?

I am obviously no expert (or even a novice for that matter) but I would think slightly ahead is okay so long as you do not feel any strain in your shoulder joints.

Dave, I have actually done that first pose for a few seconds once before...without the leg sticking up though.

obiebyke

Hey, there's nothing in there about multiples! Showoffs... Wink 30 seconds done. I realized I usually do planks with my feet together and had to separate them. It feels different that way!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

TheSuze

My trainer had me doing 3 of them, with a 1 min break in between.  He had me doing them in the middle of my workout as well.  You can improve on them shockingly quickly - the first time I did them, my set was 35 sec, 30 sec and 26 sec and within a week, I was holding them for 1:05 each time.  He also threw in exercise ball planks, just for fun, with I HATED.  Those were obviously arm planks, not elbow planks and are a whole different world of core work.

LRB

He also threw in exercise ball planks, just for fun, with I HATED.

I tried that with a small soft medicine ball the other day (about the size of a large cantaloupe) and I agree with you!  lol

Gonna keep at it though.

TheSuze

It definitely gets easier with practice - the first time, I just kept rolling off the ball and eventually was up to a minute with them as well.

LRB

3:05 today.

Talk about a snooze-fest, aye!

I'm confused. I thought the calendar in the OP was what we were trying to do. Or is it just do more each day? Anyway, I'm through today with the 30 seconds, doing 3 sets.

LRB

I'm confused. I thought the calendar in the OP was what we were trying to do. Or is it just do more each day?

I am a little bit past the calendar in terms of ability so instead of shooting for a 4:30 minute hold at the the end of the month, I hope to be at 6, 8, 10 or wherever I end up.

But absolutely, following the calendar as it is laid out is cool, I'm hyper though, so I was always the student reading the next page before the teacher actually got to it in class!

Hip Redux

I'm just making up shit as I go.

1 minute done.