Beginners and Beyond

There's No Fooling The Monday Penguins! (Read 30 times)

hog4life

I ended up with a total of 9 miles, 7.3 at a 9:44 pace, and 1.7 with the pup at a 12:30 pace.

Traci, I'll be looking for you guys. I'm just driving up the morning of. Have you ever heard of Mary Bobo's? It's a restaurant on the square that someone recommended, said it was very good home cooking.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - Thanks for starting us off.  If you get a chance, sing some Red Rider for me tonight for me.

Bin - Sorry to hear that you might have to resort to the treadmill.  I'm pretty excited that my treadmill season may be ending soon.

Docket - You have a great day as well!

Scotty - Great job on another race.  I'm sure that others have told you this before, but you're pretty darn inspirational.

Jerry - I'm also carrying a few extra pounds today, and today is Dyngus Day in these parts.  I'm going to have to bow out of that tradition this year.  I need to get my eating back in line.

As for pre-race tips.  This isn't really the week to concern yourself with your weight, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you don't want to eat well.  You've trained your body for the race, but don't forget that the taper week has a purpose as well.  Your body is recovering from the training, and restocking it's glycogen stores.  Lots of sleep and rest will be beneficial.  I'm sure you know this, but it's not the sleep the night before, but the sleep you get during the nights leading up to the race that will benefit you.

Eat plenty of good foods this week, but during the final 48 hours I try to avoid anything heavy that will stick with me.  That's those heavy saturated fats, and extra large portions of meat.  I opt for easily digestible carbs, fruits and veggies.  Hydrate well all week.  Hydration doesn't happen in a matter of hours.  It takes time.

Also, you're going to be stuck on a plane for a while.  Don't let your legs get tight on you.  Some light jogging, and walking will help keep you loose.

Make sure you're prepared the night before the race.  The last thing you want is to panic or be in a rush on race day.  Just have your stuff laid out and ready to go.  Be relaxed and confident.  Give yourself plenty of time to eat a light breakfast, and use the bathroom before the race.  I like to leave a couple of hours between the last meal, and the race.  That gives my coffee an opportunity to do it's job.

Race time.  Just know the pace that YOU intend to run.  Don't get caught up in someone else's paces.  This is your race.

Write us a nice RR.

Mitch - I'll be looking forward to your RR as well.  I'm glad you had a great experience this weekend, and that everything went so well with your doctor's appointment.

N-Bug - Enjoy your rest day.  My week has already started to run a muck, but I'm going to try to keep calm and have a good training week.  We'll see what happens.

traci - Your body doesn't completely forget.  I think you're making great progress.  Just resist the urge to do too much too fast, and you'll be back to shooting for PR's before you  know it.

jblackjr - Congrats on a great weekend.  You're starting to sound like your old self again.

Hopesmom - Getting caught up is always a chore, but it sounds like it was well worth it.

AFM - Trying to decide how to attack the 10K next weekend.  I've never run one, and I've never run anything over a 5K without a training plan.  I guess I kind of had my reverse taper last week, and can run my normal mileage with a couple of quality workouts this week.  I probably won't taper too much for the 10K, and decide how aggressive to attack it based on how I feel going into it.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

Awood, mine and Jimmy's RR's are up, they should still be on the first page.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I think I commented on both.  I wish I could have been there!

Awood, mine and Jimmy's RR's are up, they should still be on the first page.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

GinnyinPA

Gustav -  My father and neice both do karaoke; I'd never have the nerve. I could barely get through my solo in freshman choir, and I wasn't invited back as a sophomore.

Bin - enjoy your vacation.  Hope you find some nice places to run.  My brother was stationed there in 1973.  He liked it.

Damaris - enjoy your run this evening.

Scotty - I enjoyed yesterday's RR and look forward to tonight's.  What kind of April Fools pranks do they do?

Jerry - enjoy your taper week.

Mitch - another race so soon?  Tis the season, I guess.  Hope your taper goes well too.

Tracilynn - good job on the 1.8.  Coming back from injury is hard, but very satisfying.  Hardest part is restraint.  I also had to DNS my first HM. It sucks!  But there will be others.

Awood - I hope your week gets back on track.  I agree, no need to taper for a 10k, but you don't want to do a quality workout too close to the day either.

Jimmy - hope you have a nice day off.

Hopesmom - enjoy your walk.

AFM:  no idea.  It was really windy this morning when we walked the dog, so I'll either do TM or just put on a video.  I need to work off the Easter indulgences.

SheCan

Morning Penguins!

Great races Bin, Jimmy, Mitch, and Scotty!

Scotty--- a Monday race?  Must be for April fool's day.

Jerry, only tip I have for now is to not over think it and relax this week.   Try to be as chill as Bin sounded the week before his HM.

tracilynn-- you'll get there again same as you did the first time you started running, except a bit quicker this time.  Plus now you have us as your cheer leaders!

HopesMom-- Sounds like a lovely time with your parents!

I did an easy 4-1/2 today, and am feeling a bit like a bum, but I'm trying to listen to what my body needs.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Enjoy the short week, Jerry!  Have fun with your in-laws.  Is that even possible?  What do they think of you coming to visit just to race?   "Yes, I'm here to do a race, the visit with y'all is the side excursion."   Wink

Glad your run went well, Mitch!  Hey, if you're going to be FE with Traci, you better take your camera for some FE photos!  Big grin

Scotty - looks to me like you broke that poor llama's heart... didn't kiss her back?!  What's up with that?  HIM, Vance.  His name is Pepe.  It's a one-way deal...he was trained to kiss folks as part of his "presentation act" about Peru.  I have not been trained to kiss llamas.  Joking

scotty kissed a llama and he liked it.   Well, at least he had nice smelling breath...which is more than I can say for some ladies in my past that I've kissed. Joking  Milcon?  Is that a new type of measurement?  Wink  Congrats on your progress, Traci.

Enjoy the last day off, Jimmy, before you get back to it!

Sounds like a nice weekend for you, HsM!  Enjoy the walking today!

Thanks, Awood, you are very kind!   Personally, I don't think I'm all that inspirational...especially as I tend to encounter lots of Wounded Warriors around San Antonio.  Now, those folks are truly inspirational!   You will do great at your 10K, I'm sure.  I won't give you any suggestions on how to run it, cuz with my method, you'd be stopping to take photos along the way. Big grin  Oh, by the way...here are my events I'm doing for April:

4/1 - Happy April Fools Day 5K - Or Is It A 5K? - McAllister Park, San Antonio

4/6 - Run For Brainpower 5K - University of The Incarnate Word, San Antonio

4/7 - LLS 5K and Doggie Dash - McAllister Park, San Antonio

4/13 - Fiesta Fun Run 5K - San Antonio

4/20 - Fiesta Mission 10K - Missions Park, San Antonio

4/27 (8 a.m) - Fredericksburg Wildflower 5K - Fredericksburg TX

4/27 (6:30 PM) - Fiesta Fandango 2.6 Mile Fun Run -  San Antonio Fiesta Flambeau Parade Route, Downtown San Antonio

Scotty - I enjoyed yesterday's RR and look forward to tonight's.  What kind of April Fools pranks do they do?  I don't know for this year, it's always a surprise.  Well, last year, Ginny, the course turned out to be 3.8 miles instead of 3.1.    Also, you have to LISTEN carefully at the start.  Last year, the RD told us before we started about the CORRECT route, but when we got onto the route, at a couple of places, there were multiple directional arrows..if you choose the wrong one, you ended up down a fairly short ways down dead-end trail and had to turn around and come back.   One year  on the course there was a person in a Sphinx costume - very original! - and he would stop people at random and ask them a riddle - usually simple kid's jokes/riddles that most everyone knows - and you couldn't go on until you said a right answer.  Stuff like that.  We just never know year to year what the RD will come up with, lol.   Good luck with whatever workout you decide to do!

Yep, SheCan, and all the fools like me will be out there for it.   Hey, 4.5 is no slouch mileage, you know.  That's just about my 'long run' for me, lol.  As much mileage as you do, though, sometimes your legs need an easy run, Ms. Wonder Woman Ultra Runner!  Joking

Well, Jack, now you know what to expect on the course, so you'll be ready!  Good luck!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

I just got in a 7 mile run at 8:05 pace. Not bad! I am feeling good and I hope to be peaking at the right time for my HM. Yesterday I actually drove some of the course and it is HILLY! My goal is to PR but it will be tough. DW is off to the beach with the kids and a group of friends so guess who gets to clean house? So much for vacation....

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Back from Williamsburg....at my bf's in MD...will head back to NYC soon. Had a nice getaway....and I will admit, did not run since Friday. Had a redemption run about an hour ago....4 miles GORGEOUS high 60s weather with sun at times, but enough cloud coverage that it didn't get too intense and a nice breeze... And 2.5 miles of it was.... Ready..... MY FIRST EVER TRAIL RUN!!! Discovered a dirt trail in the Nature Preserve near my boyfriend....they were 2 slow miles (had to cross a creek at one point on rocks) but too much fun!! I will catch up on the forum more when I get home-home. 

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Singer who runs a smidge

I got my walk in, and it was quite a nice day outside.  A little windy, and I was a little twingy, but overall a nice time.  I needed it too, I was about to fall asleep!  Sleepy

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Remember, Hope's Mom. Those things never happen. :wink:

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, at least not on a regular basis!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

tracilynn

Mitch- Mary bobo's is very popular and you typically need a reservation WEEKS or Months in advance

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Scott:  I like to think of it as "killing 2 birds with 1 stone".

hog4life

Mitch- Mary bobo's is very popular and you typically need a reservation WEEKS or Months in advance

Well, scratch that idea then. Guess I'll just have the banannas,lol.