Beginners and Beyond

Don't Expect A Good Title Saturday Penguins (Read 25 times)

Docket_Rocket

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)  Big grin

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Morning, Penguins.  6 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Penguins.

I am now all packed for my trip tomorrow. Leaving now to go to my parents' in Jersey, hang out with them and the puppy for a bit then going to PA for my 15K tonight!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

From the Internet.

Morning all!

Kristin, GL on your 15K

URD for me. I did 2.5 really awful miles Thursday afternoon. Didn't make the calf any worse but it was not a fun or comfortable experience (no pain, just couldn't stop focusing on it the whole time I was out). Finally settled into a rhythm at about 1.75 miles but didn't want to push it and was short on time anyway so 2.5 it was. Water running and weights yesterday.

In my consultation with Dr Google I also found out that I've been stretching my calves entirely the wrong way. Oops Blush I knew not to stretch them without a warmup, but I never hold the stretch long enough for it to actually do anything. 60 seconds is a long time, times 2 muscles and 2 legs, I should be stretching just my calves for ~4 minutes! They feel better now that I've been doing it the right way for the past couple of days, not running probably also helped. Hoping for 4-6 miles tomorrow morning but if I have to cut it short or take another day off so be it.

Zelanie

Morning, pens!  We are headed to the coast for the weekend.  Probably the last little getaway before the craziness of the school year starts.  I got in all my miles for the week already, so I can just focus on spending time with family and probably some walks on the beach.  It's the Oregon coast, though, so think mid-60s and overcast.  I do have a new phone, and posting from it seems much easier than from my last one.  So hopefully I will be able to check in.

Got my 2:00 plank in, hope I remember tomorrow.  I told DD about the challenge, hopefully she'll bug me about it.

D- Enjoy the 6.  Seems like your plan is going really well!

kristin- Good luck tonight!

Lauren- Sorry about the URD!  Hope that the new stretching helps.  I don't think I'm patient enough to hold a calf stretch for 4 minutes!  I did get a slant board to do decline squats for my knee, so I mostly use that to stretch, but I barely hit 30 sec, I bet!

90 second plank and 45 minutes of aerobics done. It was a run day but I had to change up my schedule at the last minute. I probably could have fit 2miles in later but I did not want to risk skipping a workout. Kids enjoyed exercising with me so it was the right choice.

After lunch we're headed to the grandparents' house to fish and swim while my husband works at home. Should be a fun day!

Bin Running

Went to doc for the cough but she's on holiday. Bought some over the counter remedy.

Managed to run 6M on indoor track. Going to still try a 18miler tmr. Real slow.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Lauren, Dr. Google is NOT your friend (unless it's to find you've been doing something wrong).

Damaris

Fundraising Page

SheCan

LOL, Docket, I LOVE the name of today's thread!

kristin-- have fun and good luck this weekend!

Lauren-- who knew?!  You're teaching us all something new, or at least me!

zelanie-- have a great time at the beach.  60* weather sounds wonderful beach or otherwise.

Mickey-- enjoy the day!  Great job on the running and planks!

bin-- Dead at least you're giving it another day before your long run.  Good luck today with the six.  Got my fingers crossed that the cough won't get to you too badly.

I'm taking another (yup seems like there's been a lot of em) day off from running, but will get my planks in shortly.  Maybe me and DD will do some car shopping later.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

From the Internet.

Lauren, Dr. Google is NOT your friend (unless it's to find you've been doing something wrong).

I know, I know Blush I would go to an actual real-life doctor if the calf issues continue (and lucky for me I have NO copay for visits to my orthopedic doctor, so no excuses!). I was searching some variation of "how long should you wait to run after a calf cramp" and stumbled across stretching info instead.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Docket - I love the title, or lack there of.  Enjoy your run later.

Kristin - Good luck with your race tonight.  I'll be watching FB for some results.

Lauren - I hope things go well on your next run.  Take care of yourself.

Zel - That sounds like my kind of getaway.  Have fun, and relax.

Mickey - Fishing and swimming?  Am I the only one around here that just drinks and runs on the weekends?  Sheesh!

Bin - You better focus on getting yourself healthy again.  Don't make me come over there.

She Can - I thought all of these going to the coast, or fishing and swimming posts sounded like fun.  Car shopping?  That sounds awesome too.

AFM - I just finished up 17.01 miles in 2:39:56.  I ran a 4.25 mile loop 4 times.  The first lap was at about a 9:45 pace, second lap was around 9:30, third lap around 9:15 and the final lap was mostly in the upper 8 minute range Big grin  It felt really really good, and I kind of wanted to turn it into a 20 mile run since I've never done one, but I had already run almost 10 minutes longer than the plan called for.  Oh well.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens... 5 easy recovery miles for me. Have a good day. I'm off to the XC BBQ. Guess who has grill duty?Wink

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Drummer / Grill Master...that's a weekend of epic responsibility.  If that doesn't earn a Natty Daddy, then nothing does.

Hi Pens... 5 easy recovery miles for me. Have a good day. I'm off to the XC BBQ. Guess who has grill duty?Wink

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

Had a great time at my first mile race this morning (RR is posted).  It's funny how the shorter the distance is, the harder it feels.  I swear a half marathon is easier than a mile. LOL

Hope everyone is having a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hi Peeps....4 miles on first time run on Green Bay Trail, only 5 miles from home.  Kind of narrow and busy, but nice, straight run next to RR tracks.  Nice shaded trail below ground level.  Have to try another section sometime.  Kind of tired today. Need a deck nap and a PBR.