Beginners and Beyond

Penguins' February Weight Loss Challenge (Read 69 times)

Zelanie

Google doc with current standings

Over in the penguin thread, there are quite a few of us who would like to take off some pounds before serious spring training gets underway.  Although it started in the igloo, as usual everyone who would like to participate is welcome.

How it works:  Weigh yourself on Jan.31, and then on the 7th, 14th, 21st, and 28th of Feb.  The person who is down the most by the 28th wins.  Your prize?  Bragging rights, plus being that much closer to your goals for your next training cycle.  You don't have to post the actual number if you don't want to, just call your starting weight "X" and your subsequent weights "X-2.4" or whatever.  I'll keep this first post edited with current standings.

May the best penguin (or honorary penguin) win!

LRB

How it works:  Weigh yourself...

Welp, I'm out.  lol

GinnyinPA

I'm in.  I hope it will keep me focused for the next four weeks.

hog4life

I'm in

Brilliant

I'm in.

me too, please

Half Crazy K 2.0

I'm in. Maybe this will be the motivation needed to lose the 5 lbs.

So weigh in on the first after their Superbowl parties?

Might as well count me in (via honorary Penguin status), since I am already in a weight loss thread in another group, so I will be doubly committed.

I am not trying to win this thing, I don't really need to lose weight. (DW would think I was crazy if she knew about this.) But I'd like to see if I can drop 5-7 lb for potential running improvement. Which would still get me into territory not seen since in >30 years. I need to try to get out of the habit of eating the entire house just because I am racking up some mileage.

One suggestion: Weigh-in on the 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, and March 1st. That will give 1 week between weigh-ins (currently the first week is 6 days, and you've got a 2 week gap in there). And will reflect the full month of Feb (most people weigh themselves first thing in the AM, so will miss out on a full day of weight loss at the end!).

But you started the game, you get to make the rules.

Dave

GinnyinPA

I prefer the Saturday weigh ins, simply because I often gain water weight after a long run and Friday is a rest day for me, but as long as you were consistent, it wouldn't really matter whether you weigh in on Saturday or Sunday.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Might as well count me in (via honorary Penguin status), since I am already in a weight loss thread in another group, so I will be doubly committed.

I am not trying to win this thing, I don't really need to lose weight. (DW would think I was crazy if she knew about this.) But I'd like to see if I can drop 5-7 lb for potential running improvement. Which would still get me into territory not seen since in >30 years. I need to try to get out of the habit of eating the entire house just because I am racking up some mileage.

One suggestion: Weigh-in on the 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, and March 1st. That will give 1 week between weigh-ins (currently the first week is 6 days, and you've got a 2 week gap in there). And will reflect the full month of Feb (most people weigh themselves first thing in the AM, so will miss out on a full day of weight loss at the end!).

But you started the game, you get to make the rules.

That is my problem but I get SO hungry. If figure if I'm running 50 mpw I need the calories. I don't know, there is a fine line there, I suppose.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

DW gave me skinny jeans for Christmas, so I'm in.

That is my problem but I get SO hungry. If figure if I'm running 50 mpw I need the calories. I don't know, there is a fine line there, I suppose.

Oh. So. Hungry.

All. The. Time.

Yes I would think there is a balance, we'll see. For me, the time between dinner & bedtime is a continuous grazing period.

Dave

happylily

I'm in. I found out recently that I'm actually not 5'3.5", but instead, about 5'2.8". Grrr... I had an imaginary low BMI. Effing BMI... Also, I've been binge eating lately because of stress. I have about 8 lbs to lose.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

But I'd like to see if I can drop 5-7 lb for potential running improvement. Which would still get me into territory not seen since in >30 years. 

I did the impossible and got down to a size 30 when like you, I really had no reason to do so (outside of running obviously) .

Basically I went on a calorie deficit (around 1500 per day) from December through February dropping 20 otherwise stubborn pounds.

Once in that mode it became easier because I was locked in. There was a lot of anger at the world though because you are always hungry and I went to sleep before 9:00 hungry but toughed it out.

Of the litany of fad diets I went through in prior years, calorie restriction was about the only thing I never tried but was the only thing that truly worked.

I did not exclude any particular food group or type, I was just mindful of staying around that 1500 number.

LRB

That is my problem but I get SO hungry. 

No different than when quitting smoking you have to not think about food, so when the thought pops in your head, change the subject.

It sounds hard but the mind can do incredible things when you dial it in.