Beginners and Beyond

Tempted Tuesday Penguins (Read 36 times)

hog4life

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

hog4life

I am tempted to run this evening. Probably not a good idea yet, so maybe another RD. Accompany this with night shift, and I might rest all week. Starting next week, I will go back on 8 hour shifts, 6 days per week.

I am tempted to attempt another marathon too. I know I said one and done, but I will not be satisfied with myself until I give a better performance. With a proper cycle, I should easily be able to get 4 hours give or take a little.

Couple things to touch on about this past weekend. I went into this marathon undertrained. I never felt like quitting. I am not injured. PF never showed it's ugly face. I have no regrets. There are some good pictures to share, but I'll do that in the RR. I may try to put it together this morning when I get home from work. Just a warning though, there wasn't much racing going on, hehe.

Traci, sorry I missed you.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Damaris - hoping for a good news for Trixie.

Mitch - I'm sure you learned a lot from your marathon. Just from the brief description, it sounds like you may have gone out too fast. But, training is also a factor. Rotating shifts are tough.

HopesMom - that is too funny about your dog. I had a black lab who ate a box of chocolates and left all the little paper cup thingys in the box!

As for me - I installed a dedicated 20 amp line and outlet to our living room to run our electric fireplace. We had it plugged into the wall and kept blowing the fuse when we opened the garage door or put the Christmas lights on. Also, went to the lawyers office to sign the settlement papers for refinancing the mortgage. Last night after my run, I cleaned the old caulk out from the tub and re-caulked it.

Also - I ran 14 miles on Saturday and 14 miles last night. I noticed the same issue where I warmed up, but at the 90 minute mark my hands began to get cold. So cold that it was hard to turn my flashlight on and off. I did enjoy a nice glass of pinot noir after my shower!

Staying home from work - it is snowing and today would be a 90 minute commute on dry pavement. Plus there's that open bottle of pinot noir, my wife, and a cozy fireplace to enjoy!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

hog4life

Gustav, I haven't looked a my splits yet, but based on my "GMP", I was right there, I think. I won't rule that out, but there was way more happening than running out of gas because I went out too fast. I crossed the half at 2:14.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good morning!

Mitch - It's good to hear that the PF wasn't an issue.  I look forward to the RR, and your next marathon if you decide to take another crack at it.

Gustav - Sounds like you had a crazy busy night.  WOW.  Enjoy your day off.

AFM - I've been really struggling to keep my weight down since the marathon.  The holidays aren't really helping, but I have to change something somewhere.  I haven't decided how I'm going to tackle this issue yet, but need to do that soon.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

Good morning!

Mitch - It's good to hear that the PF wasn't an issue.  I look forward to the RR, and your next marathon if you decide to take another crack at it.

Gustav - Sounds like you had a crazy busy night.  WOW.  Enjoy your day off.

AFM - I've been really struggling to keep my weight down since the marathon.  The holidays aren't really helping, but I have to change something somewhere.  I haven't decided how I'm going to tackle this issue yet, but need to do that soon.

I need to shed about 20 myself, let me know when you figure it out. The next one will not be anytime soon, but I think I want another crack at a better performance.

Just a FYI, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the wall either.

Bin Running

Mitch, I think you should have a go at it.. We always learn from Marathon and more from the first as there is tons of unknown.

Gustav, sound like a bz weekend.. I always tell my wife I wanna retired with her at some place not tropical with a white christmas and a fireplace.. Hot chocolate or wine optional.

5M w/2 @ 15K done in the morning.. Was to do 8-9 w/4 @ 15K but poo monster strike yet again.. Closure w/o incident..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Awood, you sneaked in.. How much weight does the holiday put into you so far?

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning.  Enjoy the RD's Mitch.  Good luck with the mortgage Gus.  Awood, same problem here and we have Christmas luncheon at work today.

Hi Bin.

Good luck today, Docket.

Short run after work today, hopefully outside again.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  We decided to delay Trixie's biopsy a few days to get her stronger.  She is trying to be more normal and we want to see more of that before we get her under the knife again.

9 miles for me tonight.  I'll need them.

Mitch, stay with the RDs.  Which marathons are you considering?  And as to your marathon, you might have gone out too fast for your condition at the time.  Crashing after a certain point is a sign of that; only more experience doing marathons will help with pacing. So, do more, experiment.

Gustav, good luck with the mortgage.  I think some other forumites suffer from a similar issue (I forgot the name of the condition) that might be able to help.  Maybe open a thread on the B&B separate from here to get more input?

Awood, keep that weight off!

Bin, sorry about the poor monster.

Jerry, enjoy the short run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Damaris, I haven't thought about it enough to pick one, or even narrow it down. I am almost certain, that even if I had started slower, I would not have made it all the way. There were a couple of things that I can put my finger on for sure. The condition that I'm in(or lack of), and a botched up training were the big hitters.

I sure hope Trixie is okay.

Docket_Rocket

Yes, and your weeks off.  It's always a guessing game with marathons.  You could be on the pace you should but that day something else can screw it up too.

But do not let this experience jinx you from marathons.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wow, Mitch, someone is up early today!  Or late 'tonite', as the case may be.  I believe you probably will do another marathon, and you'll probably do better too, you being you.   By that I mean, you seem to learn pretty quick, and you're already a pretty talented runner, so given what you know now from your first experience, no doubt in my mind you will get better with any future marathons you try.  It may possibly take more than one more to get where you want to be, but no doubt in my mind you will get there.

In San Antonio today, it is going to be a beautiful day in the neighborhood!  It is a bit chilly for we South Texans at 38 degrees right now, but we will be warming up quickly and will get to 68 degrees today with lots of sunshine.   So  a run/walk for me after work.  Probably do the trails in the park near the Zoo.  Or maybe do the university campus route.  Or maybe the trails at a park near the university.  Or maybe Fort Sam Houston or Lackland Air Force Base.  Or maybe, with all this sunshine, along the Riverwalk, followed by a post-run beer.   Dang..I have too many choices of places to run!  What a problem to have. 

Gustav, you're not wearing gloves when you run out there in the cold?   You might want to try these...they have a 'built-in" pocket on the back of the gloves to warm your hands - http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/safety/hands/cold-resistant-gloves/thermafur-air-activated-heating-full-finger-gloves-large-black?infoParam.campaignId=T9A&gclid=CKDk9cOkt7sCFWMV7Aod4mkApw -  or, if you want to go 'all out', you can spend $79 for these gloves that are 'heated' gloves - http://www.heated-gloves.com/-p-35289.html?adtype=pla&kwd=&gclid=CO6MgO2kt7sCFcVQ7AoddhwABQ

Good luck with the weight control, Awood.  If you get REALLY desperate, go to a bar and have a beer, pick a fight, get your jaw broken...get it wired....no problem, you're now on a liquid diet!  That should keep the weight under control.   

Boo for the poo monster, Bin!  Glad you kept 'closure'.   It's not fun when you have a shitty run.  

Poor (((Trixie))), wishing her all the best.   Good luck with your 9 miles, Damaris!   Think about a Texas marathon/half marathon for you in the future, like around January/Feb.  Austin Marathon is a good one, and also the 3M Half has a good reputation too.  And you get 'benefits'....a free place to stay and a 'chauffeur' to get you to the expo, the start area, pick you up at the finish, etc.  Oh, and feel free to bring the DH too...  

Enjoy the short run after work, Jerry.  How's the weather up there?  Will you do this one on a track too?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

hog4life

Here's one of the proofs that I will be buying. This is around mile 7, I was feeling great and being a goof.

tracilynn

THERE IS ZERO DOUBT in my mind MITCH WILL RUN ANOTHER FM (and nail it).

"one and done". YEAH RIGHT

~~~~~~~

Traci