Beginners and Beyond

Let's Own it Today, Tuesday, Penguins (Read 35 times)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

GOOOOOD Morning folks!  Ready to get on this day and make it ours?  Almost, I'm sipping my yerba mate tea, I'll give that a few to kick in then I'll be ready.

RD for me today.  My legs feel fresh so I am tempted.  Outside it is a balmy (compared to Rach's currently clime) 1 deg F.

Something that I wanted to mention. During my run yesterday (treadmill - 6 miles) I watched a documentary on a Canadian named Terry Fox.  If you need some inspiration, man, that is a story to hear.  He became a runner.  I'll let you look up his story if your interested.  I watched his story on Netflix if anyone has that.

I had mentioned a couple of times I had an interview for a Director's position. I owned it.  Felt GREAT walking out of there.  I did well enough if they don't eventually pick me it isn't because I didn't represent who I am and what I can bring, it would be they need something somewhat different than what I can offer.  What an awesome feeling.  I used my transformation via running in a couple of different illustrations and had on of the Board comment how much he appreciated that (he was my PT instructor almost 20 years ago in the police academy).  So, I did my part during the interview and I just am hoping they feel I've got what it takes - meaning, I did my part, now its theirs.  LOL

SO, let's own today to.  Whatever challenges we might face.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Goof Morning N-Bug and other Penguins soon to follow!

N-Bug - good job on the interview, hope alL goes well!

And own today, I will! Got  my run in already this am. Higdon has a " short " day every week in this plan. I've used it as a "speed" day by running just a tad faster that usual. So I warmed up the first mile then gave it a little gas for the last half mile as a light snow gently fell.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

sounds like yoy rockedyour interview NBug that's awesome!!!!

Gustav love seeing you talking about running again! Which of Higdon's plans are you following, and are you training for anything in particular?

Ok no more procrastinating.....gym time. Gonna run one mile on the TM today after doing the elliptical. Fingers crossed for no knee/ITB pain! Will check back in before leaving for work!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

It could just be me, but it sounds like a group of positive penguins this morning.  I like it.

N-Bug - Do you know when you're going to hear from them about the interview?  Hopefully its soon.  Either way, I agree.  It sounds like you did your part.

Gustav - It sounds like things are going well for you.  I'm happy to hear it.

Kristin - Get out of here.  GYM TIME....LOL  What knee/ITB pain?  That's not going to happen today.

AFM - I didn't get my weight training in yesterday, but I'll squeeze it in there somewhere.  I have a fun 8 mile tempo run tonight.  I'm looking forward to it.  The snow is deeper than it's been all year, but I'll see how the roads look before I decide whether my tempo run is on the road or the treadmill.

Our friends went CRAZY last night on facebook, and got us up to 133 likes in the cutest couple contest.  We're 28 likes ahead of second place.  There's still quite a bit of time left, but its looking good.  Thank you to everybody that took a moment to do that.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  10-14 miles tonight (most likely 10).  OFf to court.  Behave!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Vance, congrats on doing well on the interview... Hope you get that job.. We have a annual Terry Fox run although I had never ran it before.. It is over for this year..  Would consider trying it next year..

Gustav, way to go getting in those early miles..

Kristin, hope no pain for the workout..

Awood, will vote later as coy PC is blocking.. Enjoy the 8M tempo later..

Damaris, Enjoy the 10-14 later..

Jack, you mentioned abt compression sleeve.. I do wear them to sleep.. but mostly after race.

Cleaned up the interior of my car this morning... It's considered X-Training? Still resting my ankle.. I can feel the tenderness sometimes.. I am hopeful I can do 2-3M on Friday..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Back! Did 22 minutes on the elliptical and a mile on the treadmill. No pain Smile. I do hate the treadmill though. I just can't justify running outside until I'm back up to at least 2 miles....the time taken to bundle up will be longer than the run itself! Easier to do it in the gym for now and be able to get more of a work out in on the elliptical too. It's snowing so I'm half happy and half sad I wasn't running in it. Happy cuz it's kind of slippery out there, and sad cuz I've yet to get a snow run!!

Awood happy to help you and pewpewpew! Hope you win!!!!

Damaris enjoy the miles later

Bin sorry about the ankle Sad heal up soon!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Pengs !!!  Congrats on the great interview, Vance.  Hoping for good news.

SRD today.  Have to work all the way to 3:00 for a webinar.

Have a great day  !!!

Philliefan33

Good morning.

7 miles planned for this afternoon / evening.  I'm going to try to sneak out of work a little early so I can get my run done in daylight, and finish up my work later in the evening.

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!!!

Vance, congrats on killing the interview!  What kind of director is this, film, broadway, hospital, traffic? Smile

Gustav, I'm with Kristin, great to see you posting about running!

Kristin, glad you had a good run.  Are you doing any stretching?  That has helped me the most with my ITB issue.

Awood, hope you have a great run later, I loved running in the snow (probably the only time I'll get to do it, we don't get a lot of snow here).

Damaris, have a great run and enjoy court!

Bin, hope your ankle ankle heals up quickly.

Jerry, enjoy the rest and the webinar.

PF, I love getting out of work early and going for a run. Smile

AFM, it's supposed to be close to 60* today, so I skipped my run this morning and will hit the lake this afternoon for at least 9, probably more, love it out there!

Hope everyone has a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice weight training session last night and then drove home in the pleasant 68 degree weather with the windows cranked down and my classic rock cranked up...nice....can't beat it for February - weather in the 70s all this week in San Antonio, sweeeeet!  Today will be hill work at Fort Sam Houston, around 4 miles worth.  Weather at run time today (4:30 pm):  75 degrees.

Gail was talking about joining the local YMCA because the schedule of their fitness classes better fitted around her work schedule.  She kept talking about it for 2 or 3 days, but just would not make the jump. Hey, I can take a hint! Joking  So, since her birthday is next week, I went on my own and talked to the Y and got all the info.  They actually have a pretty good deal here locally, so I surprised Gail with an early birthday present and signed up, and I paid all the fees.  So now she can use any of the Y's in the city and even the ones in nearby cities to San Antonio (New Braunfels, Boerne, etc).  She is quite happy about it, and has been all excited the last few days, she did a Tai Chi class on Sunday, last night she went to Zumba Class, tonite she is going to a beginner kickboxing class...she has got a whole schedule of things she wants to try now, lol, the Y offers quite a bit.  Plus she has an indoor pool for her lap swimming, all kinds of cardio and weight machines, etc.  So I guess that was a good present! Big grin

Thanks for starting us off today Vance!  Yes, I am aware of who Terry Fox is; as a cancer survivor, he is one of my personal inspirations.  For many years here, our local American Cancer Society chapter held a Terry Fox 5K, which I participated in.  Congrats on your great interview, wish you all the best now in the selection process!  Enjoy your rest day.

Congrats on getting your run in already, Gustav!

Kristin, glad your workout went well and the knee behaved!

Good luck with the tempo run, Awood and with the contest!  I put my bid in for you.

So, Damaris, when you first met your DH, did he COURT you? Wink   Good luck with your double digit miles tonite!

Sorry about the ankle, Bin.  Guess I missed the story on how you injured it.  Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Good luck with the webinar, Jerry!

Good luck with your 7 miles tonite, Margo!

Happy running around the lake, Dave.  Sounds like a nice venue in which to do a run!  Here is my 'lake' story, you might get a laugh from.  When I first moved to San Antonio, I was running along the Riverwalk and did not watch where I was going - ok, ok, actually, I was looking at a young lady across the river from me - and I ran right off the sidewalk and into the river, lol. Much to the amusement of all the patrons at one of the Riverwalk eateries by the river who were laughing and cheering and whistling as I came up from the water.   One of the Park Police officers (the Riverwalk is a National Park) laughingly helped me out and we had a nice chat.   Fast forward 2 months later.  Gail and I are in East Texas, staying at a cabin in a local state park.  I go running around the lake at the park.  I am winding around a curve on trail by the lake and am looking out at a boat on the lake (yes, there was a lady in the boat Blush); I hit a root or something on the trail and flip right over the edge of the trail - which was about 5 feet above the lake water - and..yep, you got it...KERSPLASH right into the lake.  I come up spluttering and spitting out water, the boat lady and her companions are laughing their heads off, and another boat comes alongside me to check on me.  A park ranger was in the boat, and we had a nice chat as I dragged myself out of the lake.  When he found out I was from San Antonio he said "You're not the guy that ran off the Riverwalk are you?"  I was like, what? How did he know that?  Turns out the Park Police guy in San Antonio is this guy's COUSIN and he told his cousin about me.  Sheesh! Blush

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Dave 60 degrees?! Lucky!! I foam roll, then stretch when I wake up and before I go to bed. Also right before, and after running.

Jen16226

Good morning all!

Well I hope to own this day!!!

By the time I left work yesterday, my stomach was not feeling well at all.  Not sure what it was all about, but I got dinner started and jumped onto the treadmill to try and get my 4.5 done and halfway through I just could not do it anymore.  I swear my head was spinning.  So at least I got 2 done.

Today I have 9x400 and I might tack on an extra mile before and after to try to make up for what I missed yesterday.

I also have my first 5K of the year coming on Saturday and am pleased to see the weather will be in the 40's!  It's also my first 5K since pulling my hammy, so I am looking forward to it.

Damaris- I found the FB group this morning and clicked to join.  And keep posting grumpy cat!  I just love him!!!!!!!!  He is the opposite of my Tiger who always looks like he is smiling.

Awood- I voted for your picture last night.  I hope that you win!  The 6 miles I did is part of my training for my first 10K on march 9th.  I am just excited that I actually did it!!!!  If anyone would have told me a year ago when I quit smoking and couldn't even run 1 minute that I would be able to run 6 miles a year later, I would have laughed at them.

Scotty- That is a fantastic gift that you got the wife!  And your YMCA sounds great where you can use others around you too.  We are so rural, it is 30 miles to get to another one. LOL  And with Valentine's Day coming, I didn't bother with hints to my hubby for gifts, I flat out gave him links to things I wanted! LMAO  There is nothing subtle about me.

N-Bug- I remember watching the Terry Fox story years ago!  That was a great movire.  I am a sucker for any sports movies though (Brian's Song is amongst my fave..although the original, not that remake!).  And fingers crossed on the job!  Glad that you felt good with the interview.

Gustav- Glad that you are doing well with your plan and feeling good.

Kristin- You are right with the treadmill....not worth it for a 2 miler to bundle up...then again, I am a wimp and just hate running in snow, so I stay on the TM. LOL

Bin- Hope you are doing some RICE for that ankle!  Feel better.

Jerry- Have fun with your webinar and enjoy your day.

Phillie- I hope you can get out early and get it done.  Keep an eye on your weather for the beginning of next week.  It looks like quite the storm is brewing.

Dave- I am quite jealous of your 60 temps!!!  Enjoy your run this afternoon.

Alrighty....work beckons.

have a great morning.

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

Bin Running

Awood has a handsome lead.. But we can't be too complacent..
                                https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=183548415102786&set=a.183548405102787.6694.183498611774433&type=3&theater

Jerry, Enjoy the RD.. Sorry abt having stay late for the webinar..

Margo, Enjoy the 7M

Dave, 60* around the lake is nice.. At least no more holes to ambush you..

Scotty, turn my ankle a bit on Sunday run while trying to go around a walker who decided to spread his arms like an eagle.. What a pleasant surprise for Gail! I bet you are scoring some major points there..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar