Beginners and Beyond

Let's Own it Today, Tuesday, Penguins (Read 35 times)

Bin Running

Jen, You sneaked in...Good luck with that 5K.. Any goal?
    Scotty, what a great story abt the lake/river falling into... You shld be a great person to hang around with beer and food.. You had so many interesting stories...

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!  My intervals last night kicked my ass!  They were super tough, but it was also a good feeling to really feel like I had pushed myself.  Didn't get to the pace or the incline that I had been hoping for, but I worked hard.  Today I have 6.5 easy after work.

Vance- Congrats on the interview!  It sounds like either the job is yours, or it's not right for you.  And how perfect that your old PT instructor was there!

Gustav- Nice job getting the run in early with training later!

kristin- Another pain free run!  Hooray!

Awood- Enjoy the tempo!  Looking forward to 8 miles @ tempo?  You are one tough cookie!

D- Hope your lungs behave for you later!

Bin- Glad you're on the mend.

Jerry- You have to work "All the way to 3:00"?  What time do you do in?

Margo- Good luck getting the run in during the daylight.  I'm noticing that we are getting just enough more that it's a bit easier.

D2- Hope you have a good run on the lake later!  How did it go with the city yesterday?

Scotty- Sounds like a fantastic birthday present!

Jen16226- Good luck on your 5K this weekend!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Posted by Jen16226: Scotty- That is a fantastic gift that you got the wife!  And your YMCA sounds great where you can use others around you too.  We are so rural, it is 30 miles to get to another one. LOL  And with Valentine's Day coming, I didn't bother with hints to my hubby for gifts, I flat out gave him links to things I wanted! LMAO  There is nothing subtle about me.

Well, Jen, I'm not done yet.  Next week is a busy one for me.  My birthday is Feb 10.  Valentine's Day is Feb 14 - and that is also our anniversary (28 years married this year) - and then Feb 15th is Gails birthday.  So she gets quite a few presents, lol, cuz no 'double dipping' on the 14th with anniversary present also being a Valentine's Day present.  Luckily, after being together 29 years (we've been married 28 years, but lived together one year before getting married), I do have a feel now for what she likes.  Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I have a meeting this morning, another session with the instrument repair guys, and a seminar this afternoon.  Also continuing prep for my own seminar, and I am bound and determined to go for a walk this afternoon.  The high is in the 50's, and I've nearly forgotten what the outdoors looks like!!

So since my meeting starts in 3 minutes, I'd better move right along ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Zel: When is your HM?

Bin: Does wearing the sleeves at night help? Have you noticed a difference?

As for me, five or six east tonight. Most of my runs are of the easy sort, lately. When my training starts in two weeks time, I will resume the weekly tempo runs or intervals (ugh).

Bin Running

Jack, I don't really felt any soreness at my calf after the race. My thighs which doesn't has the compression do feel sore sometimes. It could be purely physiological. Haa

From what I read, there is no research to support that compression sleeve or tights helps.  I knew about this after I already bought them. Tongue

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Philliefan33

Phillie- I hope you can get out early and get it done.  Keep an eye on your weather for the beginning of next week.  It looks like quite the storm is brewing.

Jen, are you a weather professional or just a "weather geek"?  I'm a bit of a geek, and this time of year I like to monitor a site called "lifeweatherblogs" .  A meteorologist that was formerly on the Philadelphia Fox affiliate started the site.  There are a few pros there that look at long-range patterns and explain the science/art behind a weather forecast.

The guys there like storms / snow, so tend to lean towards the snowier solutions ....but they haven't yet mentioned anything brewing for next week.  I'll keep my eye out, though!

Scotty, with your inattention / clumsiness / bad luck (whatever it is that causes you to fall in water and get hit by animals), it's a good thing that your running hobby is something that is  typically safe.  Things could be really bad if you liked to rock climb or skydive or some other dangerous hobby!

Zelanie

Jack- mid April. I think it makes sense to run mostly easy miles until your plan starts.

Jen16226

Bin- Nope.  No goal for this 5K other than to finish it and see how the hammy feels during race circumstances.

Scotty- WOW!  Your Mid-February is like my families Christmas time.  I am Dec 17, my sister 24th, Christmas, my parents anniversary 31st.  I bet next week is going to be alot of fun for you!!!

Phillie- I am a weather geek!!!!  www.americanwx.com forums is where I go. LOL  There is a nice mix of pros and amateurs on there.  I think most weather blogs all have "wishcasting" for snow. I could have sworn I read the other day there was something coming up the coast that was to hit the 95 corridor sunday-ish.

And for those of you on FB, if you haven't liked running warehouse's page, they are having an extra 15% off because they hit 50,000 likes.  The checkout code is on their page.

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Zel: When is your HM?

Bin: Does wearing the sleeves at night help? Have you noticed a difference?

As for me, five or six east tonight. Most of my runs are of the easy sort, lately. When my training starts in two weeks time, I will resume the weekly tempo runs or intervals (ugh).

Gee, Jack, you have a problem running north, south, or west? Wink  Good luck with your run tonite!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Jen, are you a weather professional or just a "weather geek"?  I'm a bit of a geek, and this time of year I like to monitor a site called "lifeweatherblogs" .  A meteorologist that was formerly on the Philadelphia Fox affiliate started the site.  There are a few pros there that look at long-range patterns and explain the science/art behind a weather forecast.

The guys there like storms / snow, so tend to lean towards the snowier solutions ....but they haven't yet mentioned anything brewing for next week.  I'll keep my eye out, though!

Scotty, with your inattention / clumsiness / bad luck (whatever it is that causes you to fall in water and get hit by animals), it's a good thing that your running hobby is something that is  typically safe.  Things could be really bad if you liked to rock climb or skydive or some other dangerous hobby!

Margo, this made me laugh cuz....the first time I ever sky-dived...I ended up landing in a tree! Shy

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Bin- Nope.  No goal for this 5K other than to finish it and see how the hammy feels during race circumstances.

Scotty- WOW!  Your Mid-February is like my families Christmas time.  I am Dec 17, my sister 24th, Christmas, my parents anniversary 31st.  I bet next week is going to be alot of fun for you!!!

Phillie- I am a weather geek!!!!  www.americanwx.com forums is where I go. LOL  There is a nice mix of pros and amateurs on there.  I think most weather blogs all have "wishcasting" for snow. I could have sworn I read the other day there was something coming up the coast that was to hit the 95 corridor sunday-ish.

And for those of you on FB, if you haven't liked running warehouse's page, they are having an extra 15% off because they hit 50,000 likes.  The checkout code is on their page.

I once told Gail she was not all that easy to shop for, for presents.  She replied "Well, you're not exactly so easy yourself."  I said "Sure I am.  Heck, presents from gals to guys is the easiest of all....just show up nekkid!"  Big grin

GinnyinPA

Vance - congratulations on rocking the interview.

Bin - hope the foot feels better.  Is the bruising gone?

Kristin - agreed about waiting until 2 miles to go outside.  It usually takes me at least a mile before I warm up, and this time of year, a bit longer.

Nice that the one mile didn't hurt though.  You seem to be really mending nicely.

Damaris - good luck in court and getting your run in.

Scotty - love the lake stories.  Actually, you were lucky you had water to fall into.  Nice present for your wife too.  We stopped doing much in the way of presents, except Christmas and birthdays, because Jim and I both hate shopping so much.  But it's nice when you find the perfect thing.

Zelanie - since you worked so hard yesterday, take it really easy today.  Good training for tired legs though. Have you started your training plan already?

PF - it seems that every weather forecast is a bit different.  I look at 3 or 4 different ones, and they never agree.  Have fun running this afternoon.  Did you get snow yesterday?  It's very slushy here today.

D2 - sounds like a lovely place and time to run.

Gustav - hope you get the weights in this afternoon.  Good for you getting the morning run done early.  When is your race?

Jen - good luck on your race.  Is this your first 5k since July?

Jack - taking it easy is supposed to be best for the basebuilding phase.  I have a hard time not pushing myself, especially on the TM where pushing buttons makes the time go faster, but I am trying to slow it down.

AFM:  SRD today, but I shoveled snow after our walk, so I got a little exercise today.

SheCan

Afternoon Penguin friends!

Docket- LOVED the grumpy cat pic!  Definitely had to share with my friends too.

N-bug- congrats on the great interview!  Now good luck on getting picked for the position!

Awood-  thank you for giving us the chance to help!

Bin-  sorry your ankle is still hurting.  :-(

Scotty-  Gail's b-day present sounds pretty darned awesome!  You did good.  Loved your race report, and boy does the weather look beautiful there.

Philliefan- hope you're able to get out during the daylight today.  Sure helps a person with their mood, I swear.

Jen- Are you feeling better today?  Grrrr@ getting sick during your workout.  I'm sorry.

Zelanie- great job on your intervals!  Love that you're enjoying the accomplishment.

Ginny- shoveling snow sounds like great cross training.  Than again, it's not like I'd know from experience.

today was a beautiful run in the mid to upper 50s.  However towards the end I had another migraine.  I came home and had to immediately lie down.  I'm just getting really frustrated with these.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Singer who runs a smidge

She -- my MIL suffers from migraines, and she said that she read a book by the former director of neurology at Johns Hopkins who had food-related suggestions for avoiding migraines.  I have no idea what the book was, but you might do some internet searching and see if it helps!

I've attended my meetings and such and I've begun on my seminar slides, plus setting up things to run some protein samples.  Rocking on toward tomorrow's adventures!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.