Beginners and Beyond

Melting in the SATURDAILIES (Read 47 times)

Will run for scenery.

Good Coffee, Saturcoffees!

I'm going to coffee my coffee, then probably do some trail coffee in my new coffee coffee.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Zelanie

Now for my "regular" post of the day!  Nothing too exciting, I'll run 5-6 later this morning.  I've found even late morning to be pretty good for running, temperature-wise, but in the evenings sometimes it can take a while to cool down.

Phil- I was thinking about your PT situation.  Maybe staying in PT even though it's not super challenging for you is good in the sense that you don't have the thought hanging over you that you hadn't really tested the knee in the advanced PT to know for sure that it could handle the tougher stuff?  Now, you know for sure that you are ready to rock and roll!

Shari- Sorry the blister has gotten you down!  I don't think I've had a chance to say it yet, but welcome back! Smile

LRB- Hope you're having a great run, speedy!

kristin- Hiya!

Julie- I know it can be really frustrating to not be able to do a run that was an "easy" run in the past!  That's where I am now, but I'm nowhere close to attempting a 10 miler yet.  And that used to be my MLR!  Ugh!

D2- Good luck getting all of that done!  Good thing you have coffee!

D- Morning!

Rondog- Glad you were able to get your miles in in this crud.

Marjorie- Nice run! Smile

jjs- I hope you have a great coffee coffee on your trail coffee!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

16 miles done in a steady rain. I was helping someone out so the pace was quite slow. We opted against our fun new run with the rain and just did the home routes.

Zelanie...I think whatever you want to do would work. There is nothing inherently wrong with the 10k and then the 5. For me, I might worry about wearing myself out with two 10s that close.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

LRB

Supp clique!

6 X 1200's done at tempo pace.  My times were 4:58, 4:58, 4:55, 4:56, 4:58 and 5:02, an average pace of 6:44 for the 4.4 miles of quality work (target pace was 6:38).

I channeled my inner Luke (where you at Sky Walker?) and took my shirt off once I got to the track.  It was the first time I have run without a shirt and one word for that; nice!

There was high sun the entire time but breezy, those were not the worst conditions I have run in.  Still, I dropped 7 lbs of fluids while out and totaled 10.2 miles.  Now it is time to do what I came to do; eat, eat, eat some shit up!

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Morning!

Enjoyed sleeping in and made waffles topped with strawberries. DH and I will head to the Y in a bit and I'll throw down a few miles on the TM. It's still hot as blazes. We're going to see Pacific Rim and will enjoy a pint or two while we're out.

Hope everyone has a great Saturday!

Hip Redux

Guten tag!

meaghansketch

Hello everyone!

Stupid day of indecision today.  I couldn't decide whether to do my long run today or tomorrow (my normal long run day is Saturday, but it's going to be a couple degrees cooler tomorrow).  So I headed out, it wasn't so bad ('only' 83 with a 70 dewpoint) and thought I'd go ahead and get it over with.  At mile 9 the sun came out, and it had gone up to 86 degrees, and practically my entire running club declared at once that they were cooked.  So now I still have to do 16 tomorrow.

LRB

Hey, dailies, help me plan my race schedule!

Training for and racing the 10k has been an invaluable tool for my racing success this year.  Since the half marathon is your goal race, I would race both 10k's to help build the endurance and stamina that you will need to hold your goal pace for 13.1 miles.

Based on your 5k PR of 26:03, your tempo pace is 8:55.  At worst, you should be able to race both 10k's at at least that pace even two weeks apart, provided your base remains solid between now and then. At best, you may even run the first one faster than that.  But that is just another opinion.

Step, I would spend some time in the blister aisle at Rite Aid if I were you.  There are a lot of options available.

SIAR, hope you're spending an equal amount of time running at your pace as well.

Damn, Meaghan, that blows.

Can you say O baby, O baby O!

What up doe Boon, D2, Ron, j22, D, Kris, lily, Marj and Legs!

Welp, I look pregnant, that is all.  Cool

YAYpril - B-Plus

Hi!

5 miles done this morning with the group. Now I'm getting ready to watch Pacific Rim.

B-Plus

Zelanie...I think whatever you want to do would work. There is nothing inherently wrong with the 10k and then the 5. For me, I might worry about wearing myself out with two 10s that close.

+1. There was something else I was going to say, but I think SIAR covered it.

6 X 1200's done at tempo pace.  My times were 4:58, 4:58, 4:55, 4:56, 4:58 and 5:02, an average pace of 6:44 for the 4.4 miles of quality work (target pace was 6:38).

Sweet tempo intervals.

8 @ 8:07 w/ 6 x 30 sec accelerations.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

LRB...that's an interesting comment about running my paces. I've started to worry a little about that myself, but am trusting that old adage of "run lots, mostly easy, occasionally hard." Once I finish this last trail series race Wednesday I think I'll feel a lot more comfortable with how my running week looks. Nice job on your intervals (although I'd have made you run that last one again!).

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Back from watching Red 2.

Zelanie, I would run both 10Ks.  They should be a better indicator of fitness for a HM than a 5K, IMO.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ric-G

zel -  I would do both 10's. you don't have to race them at the same pace...experiment some.

ran 14 this AM in some humidity...no dew point numbers here...just felt like it will get ickier and ickier. then did a quick two mile hike and sidestepped the mountain bikers who don't know how to use a bell or whistle...now some yard duty. more homeland dvd along with a couple of beers later. have a good day all!

marathon pr - 3:16

LRB

Nice job on your intervals (although I'd have made you run that last one again!).

Yeah that last one was a turd, I did not focus at all and basically checked out by that point.

Regarding running easy; my easy pace has dropped to 8:15.  While I do not think it is a big deal to still run the occasional 8:45's, running at the proper pace gets me off the road and my feet that much sooner.  That may not seem like much for a 10 mile run (three minutes), but over the course of the season, it might make a difference in recovery, soreness, preparedness for the next run and those type things.

Will run for scenery.

Excellent trail run today.  One of the cool things about hill/trail running is that some slopes are runnable and some are not.  Well today I ran the lower part of the Barr trail (which goes up Pike's Peak.)

First. Time. Ever.

I don't have exact figures, but I'm estimating 2 miles @ 15% up.  And then back down.  This is the second hardest part of the trail.  (Hardest is the final 1000' climb to the summit.)

Even though the trail is narrow and super-crowded,  when you run uphill you get a lot of props.  People step aside, say "good job", and one guy tried to give me a high five, but I thought he was just waving so I kinda blew it.

Anyway, last year I set a goal of (someday) being able to run this section.  Today it happened.  Very cool.

Afterwards, I'm doing a bit of Mexican Rehydration

Therapy.  Rocks and Salt.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!