Beginners and Beyond

Penguin Nuts Monday (Read 20 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

January 26th is National Pistachio Day!  Yet another food I don't like, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Weather on Sunday:    Just beautiful, it eventually went up to 70 degrees on Sunday with bright sunshine, nice!  I went to Fort Sam and started my run/walk at about 11 a.m.  Plan was for about 3 miles of hills but apparently the weather had me feeling so good I ended up with 4.7 miles, with about half  of my miles being hills (5 uphills, 3 dowhills) in 53:17, sheesh.  As I went back into the gym I thought I would forego my weight training circuit after having my legs do all those hills...but then I noticed the free weights were all being very busily used, but the machine weights (which I have to use because of my back) were not busy at all....so I said what the heck...and ended up doing my 45-minute weight training circuit post-run.  My old-man body was a bit tired after all that!   Today, Monday,  is definitely a rest day, after my 5K on Saturday, followed by hills and weights on Sunday.

Oh yeah..this is our forecast for the next 7 days.....nice, huh?      Except Saturday...I do actually have another January race on Saturday, the 31st and then one on Sunday, Feb 1st.   Why does the temp here always seem to drop below 60 in January and February on the morning I have a race scheduled?  I'd much rather it be 60 and above for my races, warm-weather loving person that I am.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6 miles and the leg workout that was not yesterday as I thought, oops.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SRD for me.

I love nuts...all kinds. Even the ones you eat.

For you East Coasters...Stay safe and warm.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

PADRunner

RD for me today.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  We have rain today, supposed to turn into snow this evening.  Well, we'll see what happens.  So far pretty much every time they've predicted snow, it hasn't materialized.  Busy day today with some meetings, some proposal reading, and so on.  Pistachio ice cream, yummy!!

Scotty -- woo-hoo for your AG win!!

Docket -- have a good 6 and legs!!

Kathleen -- enjoy the SRD!!

PAD -- you enjoy your SRD too!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Scotty: That pretty much looks like my weather for the week except the rain is today and tomorrow. It must be blowing east.

Kathleen: Good job on the 10k. Smile

SRD for me. I need it.

hog4life

Scotty, your weather looks nice.

6x800's planned for after work.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Health club for me and then a short run to keep DW happy.

So sorry it goes below 60 for your races, Scotty.  That is SO cold.   Enjoy the RD.

tracilynn

Hello penguins

SRD for me. An old injury (2 yrs ago) has started bugging me again.  peroneal tendon on my left ankle is hurting again.  UGH  I'm wearing my ankle brace last night and today. I really hope this thing just goes away. I had to stop running for 10 weeks when it flared badly 2 yrs ago! dammit!  It's always something. I haven't even been running that much bc I have been sick and now it flares ? After a 14 miles week?  WTF my body hates me 

~~~~~~~

Traci

obiebyke

EW, Traci, I'm so sorry. I was feeling that way on my drive to work, too. Like, can I have a healthy running year, please? Right now I've been sicksicksick for a chunk and I don't want to run when I still have such a pronounced cough and my energy level is nonexistent. Grrrr. I hope the brace helps.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Brilliant

Good morning penguins!

Kathleen, Scotty, PAD, Jack...everyone enjoy your well-deserved rest day!

Traci, sorry about the injury. Sad  I hate it when my body betrays me!

Jerry, gotta keep the wife happy.  You are wise.

HopesMom, have a great day.

Obie, feel better soon.

Damaris and Mitch, hope you have great runs later.

8 miles done for me this morning.

GinnyinPA

Scotty, Kathleen, PAD,  - enjoy your rest day.

Damaris - have fun with your six and leg workout. Class or dvd?

HopesMom - Are you hoping it snows or that it doesn't?  I agree, our forecasters always exaggerate the threats.  After a while you stop believing anything they say.

Jack - are you still feeling sick?

Mitch - enjoy your intervals.  Indoors or out?

Jerry - what, you don't want to run today?  Have fun anyway. It's always a good idea to keep DW happy.

Traci - the lack of running may have contributed to the flare-up.  I know that when I don't run as much, my body stiffens up and takes longer to warm up.  That makes it more vulnerable to injury, not less.

Obiebyke - I hope you get over your cold/flu soon.  Some winters it seems the cough just won't go away.

Brilliant - good job on the early eight.

AFM:  walked the dog and shoveled more snow this morning.  We didn't get as much as forecast, though there's supposed to be another wave this afternoon/evening.  I'll do a few miles on the TM later.

Docket_Rocket

Traci, sorry!  Ugh.  Hope it gets better soon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

HopesMom - Are you hoping it snows or that it doesn't?  I agree, our forecasters always exaggerate the threats.  After a while you stop believing anything they say.

If it snows, I can work from home.  But I'm not hopeful.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.