Beginners and Beyond

Chocolate Caramel Penguins! (Read 17 times)

Brilliant

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Today is National Chocolate Caramel Day, yum.

I can do stairs normally today so I'm meeting a friend for an easy 3. Smile

Zelanie

Hey guys.  Worked yesterday, then drove with coworkers up to a conference, then sat through the conference keynote, then still managed to run 8.5 on the hotel TM. Smile  Today is theoretically 12 hours of conference activities, plus I'm hoping to get another TM run in.  Wish me luck!

tracilynn

Wow that is a busy day zel! Good luck

Good morning Brill, nice to hear you can walk stairs normally now. Ha ha

PT exercises later for me. No longer going to PT just hoping all these exercises will eventually strengthen whatever is not strong enough. Shin still hurts. Going to trigger point (painful) massage tomorrow.

~~~~~~~

Traci

From the Internet.

Morning pens! Just finished 8.55 with 5 at GHMP. So much easier mentally to do long tempo type workouts outside than on the treadmill, though I definitely did not appreciate the hills at the beginning. Rolled my ankle on a rock at the very end, it feels fine now but keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't turn into anything bad - might take tomorrow off just to be safe.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I don't like chocolate but give me all the caramel!

20 miles with 5 easy, 10 @ MP + 10%, last 5 at MP done this morning (took part of the morning off).  Good thing I am working from home.  Pilates later.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Nice runs, D and Lauren!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all!

I felt fine during my easy 2.5 yesterday, but later in the evening my right calf was really tight/sore and today my left foot feels pretty unhappy with me.  I'm going to try for like 3 easy miles with a lot of stretching today to see if I feel any better.  I forgot to roll after my run yesterday which is possibly what caused the calf weirdness - as for the foot I really have no idea.  Certainly all super slow easy running until I'm feeling fully better.

Zel - I'm impressed - full day of conferences and then 8.5 miles on the TM - great job!

Allison - good luck with your easy 3 today - take it super duper easy

Traci - good luck with doing PT exercises on your own - I've found that without an enforcer there I tend to slack off =/

Lauren - sorry to hear about the ankle - taking tomorrow off is probably a smart idea

DR - amazing job - 20 miles on a Thursday? :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

Brilliant - good luck on the easy three.  I'm glad you're feeling better.

sapf - I hope the foot and calf aren't anything big.  Try walking a bit before you run.

Damaris - good job on the LR.  Is this the week you go to Puerto Rico?   How can you not like chocolate?  I thought everybody likes chocolate.

Z - good job getting your runs in while travelling.  Hope the conference is worthwhile.

Traci - good luck with the PT.  I hope it helps.

Lauren - good job on the tempo run.  I actually like doing speedwork on the TM because then I don't have to worry about the pace, the TM does it for me.  Of course, the result is I'm terrible at self-pacing.

AFM:  I have five miles later.  We're expecting snow tomorrow, but today is just cold and gray.

From the Internet.

Ginny - the one thing I'm good at in life is self-pacing, haha Smile Once I get up to speed I just shut my brain off and let my legs go on autopilot.

Brilliant

Zel, good luck with the treadmill tonight!

Damaris and Lauren - nice running this morning!

Traci, hope you have fun strengthening your shins today. Smile

Jill, I hope your 3 miles are easy and fun and that you feel better soon.

Ginny, have a nice 5.

AFM - ended up with 3.7 slow miles.  I think I'll rest again tomorrow; I didn't really feel "normal" out there today.  Nothing hurt a lot, just overall soreness.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

3.2 done - felt fine during the run thankfully :-)  I rolled my foot with my "foot rubz" ball beforehand and I felt better.  I think that my body just still has some residual soreness.

Of course since I'm running reduced recovery mileage I'm looking at full plans. 

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3.5 tempo run @10:00.  I'll have a Pixie.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Thursday!  Thanks for starting us off, Brilliant!  I was a bit under the weather last night - chills and sweats, cold an hot, all at the same time..don't know from what.   Went to bed pretty early, slept for about 10 hours, and felt much better.  Of course, totally missed my alarm going off, so called in to my boss and took a 'mental health day' today.   Went out to Randolph Air Force Base in the late morning and did my did a run/walk to see if I could sweat even more stuff out of my system.  Apparently I was feeling much better because when I started my workout, I felt a bit sluggish for my 1st run interval.  By my second I was feeling better.  By my third, I was feeling great....so I kept going.  I ended up with 5 miles in just a little over 55 minutes....the farthest I've gone in quite a while!  My weekly 'long' run has been 4 miles, but I guess it's 5 miles now, lol.

Besides the holiday Brilliant showed, March 19 is also National Poultry Day....

Incredible Kid Day - - do you have an incredible kid? Today is his/her day!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Amazonian Princess

Mmmmm. chocolate and caramel, two of my favorite food groups

Hi, Brilliant, I hope you're feeling better. You are amazing for making it through the LA Marathon in that heat! Forgot to ask, didja see any celebrities?

Zelanie, hope the conference is enjoyable and that you can get in a TM run!

Traci -I'm sorry about your shin and hope the massage helps.

Lauren - Ow for the rolled ankle at the end of your run! Not cool, Mother Nature, not cool!

Docket - I meant to check back but forgot even what day's thread it was that you mentioned the meeting with David Cassidy; how was it? Did ET show up and I missed you on TV?

sapf - happy stretching, I'm going to have to Google "foot rubz" and hope the results are work-appropriate 

Hi, Ginny, hope your five was/is nice. It's weird to hear you're expecting snow when on the radio this morning they were talkng about the Lake Tahoe resorts closing this weekend for lack of snow.

Jerry - do you mean like Pixie Stix or some kind of beer or...?

AFM, I canceled my session with the trainer tonight because I have a bunch of errands to prepare for DH's birthday party this weekend, but with luck I can squeeze in a quick run through the neighborhood loop. I got a pink blinkie vest-strappy thing for Christmas that I haven't tried out yet, so tonight might be a good night for it.

I can. I will. I am.