Beginners and Beyond

Would a muzzled dog (leashed or unleashed) make you feel safer? (Read 82 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I've been thinking about this a lot, since googling and researching and reading opinions on unleashed dogs while on trails. So far in my hiking/running/walking experience on trails I have not met an aggressive dog, neither has Rocky and he is probably the friendliest dog out there. There isn't a person/dog he hasn't met that he wasn't crazy about, though sometimes the feelings aren't mutual. On one blog or whatever, a person ranted about if an unleashed dog were to run up to his leashed dog in a friendly manner, his dog might not want to engage or say hi and bite that dog. First: an unleashed dog can get away if need be, second: most dogs understand that growling or baring of teeth is a warning of leave me alone, and even if a dog snaps at another one it doesn't mean there will be blood, snapping at another dog is like a mother smacking her child's hand away from the cookie jar.  Third: if someone is so worried about their dog being aggressive even on leash, why not muzzle them? I don't mean those tight muzzles, but the ones that are large enough for them to drink and pant but won't allow them to bite another dog or human. Also, maybe for unleashed dogs, would it reassure another runner/hiker if a loose dog has a large muzzle on? I'm just curious and constantly thinking of these things, because I love having Rocky off leash, he enjoys it, I enjoy being able to focus on my stride and the ground but sometimes I will leash him if I see anybody ahead of us...... especially if they have a dog because you never know until you ask.

What do you think? Would you be comforted by a dog wearing a muzzle off leash? As the owner of the dog, would you be okay muzzling your dog while out hiking or running, even if you know your dog is friendly and wouldn't hurt another person or dog? Would it concern you more if you saw a dog with a muzzle running loose or even leashed?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I only have Rocky off leash on trails, not in cities and asphalt/etc pathways by the way.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Dad on the run.

I honestly don't see a need to muzzle dogs. If a person's dog is that aggressive in the first place I doubt they would allow him off leash.

To further what you have already said, I was out running the other day with my 2 boxers and on my way back to the house this dog came charging at us from nowhere, barking and growling, as soon as he got close both of my dogs stopped, Carter lunged at the dog (he did not make contact) and Brody was all hunched over and growling. It took about 2 seconds for that dog to tuck it's tail and carry on with something else that didn't involve him getting beat up.

Another instance I was running alone on the back road to where I live (first time running this road) and there is a house that quite litteraly has about 5 dogs that are always roaming around, wherever they desire. I was just minding my own and all the sudden I hear all these barking dogs and see them running down the drive way. I just stopped talked to the dogs calmly and once they seemed disinterested I just moved along.

I think a large majority of dog attacks is usually human error, just my opinion though.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I agree, but I won't normally say it to a person who had a horrible experience with a dog encounter. I've spent a lot of my early life learning dogs and their behaviors and cues, and knowing how to address one when out running. Most dogs are like wild animals, they don't wish for any kind of physically contact that could leave them with fatal wounds, sadly we humans don't have fur. There are a rare occasions where dogs are actually trained and encouraged to attack people, those are extremely dangerous but I haven't met one (knock on wood) and I am always carrying pepper spray with me.

PRs

Dad on the run.

Yea I can understand that. I have been bit once when I was a kid. I was heading over to a friends house and they had this chow mix and he wasn't leashed. I saw him under the porch staring at me so I got nervous and turned around to head back to my uncles house and as soon as I turned my back he charged and locked down on my leg, from that point on I learned that being scared and trying to run is not a very good option.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Yes.

For those who have never seen their life flash before their eyes because of a pit bull in pursuit at full wick......that one scenario will change your opinion if you ever thought otherwise.

I only recently had a bad dog episode about a month ago before which I had a cluster a couple years ago.  I literally yelled at the house as there was no owner in sight, "Get your dog!"  Some day if I ever get pissed enough, I'd like to advise an irresponsible dog owner that if their dog so much as "nips" the flesh of my ankles......there will be no measure to the lengths at which I will suck them financially dry.  I.....NEVARRR....let our dog go unleashed outside unless he's in the back yard & he's a friggin Shihtzu!

Without laws, I would probably just pepper spray the living sh!t out of a bad dog but with laws, I need to be careful I don't kick the living sh!t out of an irresponsible dog owner & go to jail myself.

Shy

Randy

Hip Redux

OK, a few things here.  If I'm understanding what you're saying...

If you have your dog off leash, he needs to know to not run up to other dogs/people and should be under pretty solid voice control. Otherwise, IMO, he shouldn't be off leash.   I don't care what the temperament of the other leashed dog is - a strange dog charging has a high probability of setting up a bad situation; it's just an inappropriate greeting.  There's really no scenario where a leashed dog should be muzzled because of the chance a poorly behaved dog will charge up to him.

If you have never seen a dog fight, trust me when I say you will likely NOT have any time to react when it breaks out and the dogs are intent on fighting.   Unfortunately, I've been through dog fights more than once...and in all cases, there was very little "build up" - posturing, growling, etc.

I had a dog attack my dog on the sidewalk - and both dogs were leashed - there was nothing either of us were able to do to stop it, until we physically separated them (and that alone is NOT fun).  Of course, my dog took the brunt of it since he was caught off guard by the attack and had to go to the vet to get stitched back together - and the lady kept saying "Oh, but my dog is usually so friendly!"  Yeah... not so much, lady.

I also think that if you have an unleashed dog and you feel the need to muzzle him, again, he shouldn't be off leash.

I do muzzle my dogs, but largely for the safety of our resident bunny family in the back yard. Smile  I will also muzzle in certain high-stress/high-risk situations because it's easier to muzzle than to deal with the vet trip. But never muzzle only one dog in a group, because it leaves it defenseless.

MTA: I'm really only talking about dog-dog aggression.  Loose, off leash, unattended dogs attacking humans is an entirely preventable situation... and those owners are idiots.

#artbydmcbride

OK, a few things here.  If I'm understanding what you're saying...

If you have your dog off leash, he needs to know to not run up to other dogs/people  ...

this

Runners run

If you have your dog off leash, you should put him on a leash. 

IMHO, this. Period.

Dave

Walk-Jogger

What do you think? Would you be comforted by a dog wearing a muzzle off leash? As the owner of the dog, would you be okay muzzling your dog while out hiking or running, even if you know your dog is friendly and wouldn't hurt another person or dog? Would it concern you more if you saw a dog with a muzzle running loose or even leashed?

I was knocked off my bike and nearly killed several years ago by a very nice friendly unleashed dog who just happened to run out from behind a bush into my path on the bike trail where it passes through a local park. There were only two people in  the park at the time, a mom and her young teen daughter, and they were clear away on the other side of the park. It was their dog, and if they had had it on a leash as the local law requires I would have been spared an amazing $13,000 ER / ICU experience not to mention my first-ever ambulance ride.

Retired &  Loving It

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I've seen my fair share of dog fights, more than a dozen in fact since for a few months I worked at a doggy daycare, by myself I have always been able to break them up because I have no real anxiety of being bitten, I'll choke a dog out  and have before. My ole girl Molly was attacked twice at the dog park by an Aussie  who attacked everybody's dog, his problem was that his owner kept him locked in her tiny yard and only brought him to the park once or twice a month so he tried to herd the dogs and when they didn't comply, he attacked them. Both times I took the brunt of the teeth and protected my girl, she was an older dog and didn't provoke him and I would gladly do it again and again and I have a scar on my arm from his teeth going through my hoodie sleeve. There are always cues before a dogfight, ALWAYS, but the temperament of the dogs is what makes the difference, some make it obvious that they are irritated or looking for a fight, others show subtle signs like not wanting to make eye contact with the dog, usually showing the whites of their eyes, hugging up on your legs, not really wagging the tail, those dogs feel cornered and will react without even baring teeth or growling. Most well socialized dogs understand a stupid dog's cues who is running up on them, and they'll let that dog know that it is undesirable behavior, normally the crazy dog calms down immediately or goes on about his/her business. So far out of a dozen dogs on the trails, Rocky ran into a Dobie female who wasn't interested in him, not even to play, she wasn't aggressive but she pretty much ignored him. I had asked the owners if she was friendly, and they said yes so I let Rocky say hi, but female dogs usually aren't quite as happy to meet other dogs (especially males if the female is fixed). I've found that meetings are a lot nicer when both dogs are off leash (in my experience), then on leash because a leash is their territory and they will be more unwelcoming to other dogs when on leash. Although sometimes Rocky thinks he's going to leave me and go off with the other dog/s, not cool.

But I do try to hit the trails when nobody else is on them, like before dawn so that Rocky and I don't have to worry about others and their dogs, though the trails we run have a river camp with dogs always running loose, luckily I haven't ran into them so far this year.

PRs

LRB

Apparently, I look like a life sized strip of bacon to dogs who "Have never harmed a fly", and would therefore prefer that any dog taller than my ankle be leashed if he is out in public.

My dog knows I'll break my foot off in his ass if he doesn't do what I tell him, but he's an animal, and animals can be unpredictable.  I therefore keep his butt leashed when we're out to cover my own hide because you just never know what might trigger him to act stupid.

LRB

I guess I didn't answer the question.  Tongue

I don't care about a muzzle more so than them being leashed and under control by their owner.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

LRB my dog would love you, especially if you talk to him and make stupid smoochy sounds, this dog acts like he is attention starved.......... only thing is if you aren't careful he might knock you off your feet, I've tried to figure out how to stop him from spinning in circle all while shaking his whole body in excitement............... with complete failure. I just don't understand why he is so excited to see other people and dogs, but that is better than being aggressive.

PRs

LRB

I've tried to figure out how to stop him from spinning in circle all while shaking his whole body in excitement...

I had a boxer that would pee when she got excited.  So when I came home from work I had to basically just act normal or else the spigot turned on!