Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Urban Legend 5K; Report NOT done by a Ghost writer (Read 19 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

Held at 9 PM on July 25, 2015, this was the inaugural event of the Urban Legend 5K put on by Athlete Guild and Soler Sports, two very good local running companies.  Venue was at the Victory Sports complex and the route took everyone along the area where there are legends of San Antonio ghosts such as  the Donkey Lady, Slenderman, etc.  (link: https://www.athleteguild.com/running/san-antonio-tx/2015-urban-legend-5k ).  Around 200 or so finishers.   I ended up being first in my age group (60+) with a chip time of 33:26.  Nice after-party after the finish.

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS

Before the Start

Your host for this report

photo 021_zps8k3icokp.jpg

photo 022_zpsvpm8kszo.jpg

9 PM start, so I arrived at the sports complex about 8:15 and began wandering around taking some pre-start photos

photo 001_zpstqokocsq.jpg

photo 002_zpsywcuemnv.jpg

Athlete Guild Timing and Results folks

photo 003_zps6ss4nrs8.jpg

Music Men

photo 004_zps9ge6fonj.jpg

photo 005_zpsykse24gq.jpg

Caught these folks with the sun setting in their faces

photo 006_zpsfdtstylk.jpg

photo 011_zpsredyaar5.jpg

Some members of Get Fit SATX

photo 007_zpspaqujywe.jpg

photo 008_zpszxpikpn4.jpg

photo 009_zpsw8vwbqdk.jpg

For those who wanted it, shaved ice, juice, and other drinks

photo 010_zps1sz4myqe.jpg

photo 012_zpskkn4pfhe.jpg

photo 013_zpsjhzmlep8.jpg

photo 014_zpsg2uzrugd.jpg

photo 015_zpskmfvwhls.jpg

photo 016_zpsltx5hnzj.jpg

photo 017_zpscaron0vo.jpg

photo 018_zpsejy6ndcp.jpg

These ladies present a nice view of then nice Urban Legend 5K tech tee shirt that participants got

photo 019_zpsikrwjfzl.jpg

photo 023_zps0e9fvkiw.jpg

photo 024_zpsjz7hfbrb.jpg

photo 025_zpsv2u5kxsy.jpg

photo 026_zpsd3pebths.jpg

photo 027_zpsryhrh9et.jpg

photo 028_zpsvr9emtum.jpg

photo 032_zpsicnqealy.jpg

photo 029_zpscrjnvojy.jpg

photo 030_zps0vt3kah7.jpg

photo 031_zpsfkplxuf8.jpg

photo 033_zps7mv6nhey.jpg

On the Course

The course was interesting.  We started from the complex, went out to the road, turned left went across the railroad tracks - where a school bus full of 'ghost kids" moaned and wailed at us as we passed by.  Down the road from the school bus to a turn around point - and along the way this "Donkey" person jumped out from the brush and scared the heck out of a few people, lol.  Then onto a road that took us up to the gate of Mission Espada, one of the 17th century old Spanish missions in San Antonio - and who threw in these hills on the course here?  Tongue - and to and from the Mission area we passed the Wailing Woman - well, I didn't see her, but I could certainly here her, as there was a speaker - or WAS it a speaker? with a "voice' wailing and calling for someone (I think it was her children she was calling for; I'm not really familiar with all the local legends of this area), and then back over the tracks - and the children were still moaning and wailing - and back into the sports complex to finish.

My camera is not a great night-time camera - ok, it's actually pretty bad - so these are not great on-course photos..but you can kinda get the idea....it was dark!

photo 034_zpslv0kxxat.jpg

I took this right as people with headlamps were coming at me.  Can't see the people, but I thought the photo was pretty cool, all these 'weird bright light shapes" coming right at me....perfect for a 'spooky' run, lol.

photo 035_zpslt1j84cf.jpg

photo 036_zps0d2parqi.jpg

They look a little more normal under the street light. 

photo 037_zpsttyc5u7e.jpg

photo 039_zpsi1t4bfmm.jpg

These were on the Espada Mission road

photo 040_zpscoujzl9r.jpg

photo 041_zpsik8dvkud.jpg

After the Finish

Got some water, walked around a bit, cooled down, began taking some post-race photos.  Again, quality not great on these...but at least there was more light here in the finish area, so you can actually see people.

photo 045_zpsdk5easb3.jpg

photo 046_zpsjgjtbnf6.jpg

photo 047_zpsdn67a3r6.jpg

photo 048_zps8g1gxppu.jpg

Sausage wraps and the lovely ladies who served them

photo 049_zpskncmqs1c.jpg

yeah, post-race sausage wrap and beer!

photo 050_zpspxivbbls.jpg

They pushed this double stroller in the dark...and still finished ahead of me, lol.

photo 051_zpsxcvhqg1m.jpg

photo 052_zpssflaoatl.jpg

photo 053_zpspwm1xnte.jpg

Post-race Gatorade Ladies

photo 054_zpsnb3octwm.jpg

photo 055_zps8s6evnsp.jpg

photo 056_zps3ftfucrg.jpg

The one of them by themselves turned out not so hot....although you can still kinda see them..

photo 058_zpsvoz0bsmr.jpg

And then the one with me with them turned out better...must be my magic powers...  

photo 059_zpsbt7xnh4n.jpg

Glowwwwwing.....

photo 064_zps5irer1d0.jpg

Not glowing..well, the lights anyway.  The young ladies are most certainly glowing.

photo 065_zps2ezfwut1.jpg

photo 066_zpsx3iopbjm.jpg

photo 067_zpsqxaxojfk.jpg

Part of the after-party on-goings

photo 068_zpsyg9tflpf.jpg

photo 069_zps5uksjo1r.jpg

Random bib drawing for door prizes, with this lovely lady volunteer overseeing it.  I won nada...but that nice smile of hers was a good reward

photo 070_zpsfv7lpnmw.jpg

The lady in the middle was one of the ghosts on the course......or WAS she?

photo 071_zpsp6vic40p.jpg

photo 072_zpszzgcgfhl.jpg

photo 073_zps3h0omdzr.jpg

Nice age group medals...the Urban Legend logo - same as the t-shirt - put into a nice square frame

photo 075_zpsuhtabpjr.jpg

EPILOG

Lived her for over 20 years and never been down to this part of town or even heard of these ghost stories. So it was really a pleasure to do this event and learn all about these urban legends.   Very interesting and entertaining course, and a really great party afterwards, music, beer, food, photo-booth, door prizes, etc.  Our local runners who didn't do this one missed out!  Hope this one grows and "stays the course" (no pun intended ) because it certainly is one of the most "unique" local runs.  Definitely will keep this one on my race calendar for next year and would definitely recommend this one to my fellow runners.   Mucho thanks to all the sponsors, law enforcement, volunteers, Athlete Guild, Soler Sports (where packet pickup was too), etc., all the people who made this one happen for we participants.  Hope to see you all next year...and who knows...I might have a ghost of a chance to win a door prize next year.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

You don't think of July as a time for ghosts, but it is a good time for an evening run.  Looks like fun.  Did they close the roads for you?

LRB

I took this right as people with headlamps were coming at me.  Can't see the people, but I thought the photo was pretty cool, all these 'weird bright light shapes" coming right at me....perfect for a 'spooky' run, lol.

photo 035_zpslt1j84cf.jpg

photo 036_zps0d2parqi.jpg

That is cool!

It got dark pretty quick for a 9:00 PM start. We must be hurdling towards fall rather swiftly.