Beginners and Beyond

GPS Watch Recommendations (Read 36 times)

You Rang?

So I own a Garmin FR610.  I got it for Christmas last year.  It does not want to charge, so I called Garmin.  They exchanged it for a new watch because the old one was under warranty.  So now my new 610 won't charge. Thankfully I got my marathon data off it before it completely died.

So I;m in the market for a new watch.  I'm sure if I complained to Garmin, they would gladly send me a third watch, but you know what they say:  Foll me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Is this charging problem common to Garmin or just the 610 model?

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Docket_Rocket

Garmin sucks.

I have a TomTom Cardio Multisport and 2 Garmins.  The only one working is the TomTom.  Ugh.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Is this charging problem common to Garmin or just the 610 model?

All problems are common to all Garmins.

That said, I recommend the FR220.

Dave

Cyberic

In my small experience, both with a Timex Global Trainer and a FR610, the charging problem I get periodically comes from oxydation of the pins on the watch. The contact between the charger and the watch becomes nonexistant. When that happens, I use triple 0 steel wool and make the connectors shiny again, both on the watch and on the charging clip. Then the watch starts charging like a champ again.

bluerun

Super B****

In my small experience, both with a Timex Global Trainer and a FR610, the charging problem I get periodically comes from oxydation of the pins on the watch. The contact between the charger and the watch becomes nonexistant. When that happens, I use triple 0 steel wool and make the connectors shiny again, both on the watch and on the charging clip. Then the watch starts charging like a champ again.

This happens a lot with my 620 -- especially when those contacts get sweaty.  Usually rubbing a pencil eraser against it does the job; if not, a swipe of alcohol will do it.  That said, I don't have the problem of the watch NOT charging -- it reverse charges!

But I do like my 620.  Other than that.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

This happens a lot with my 620 -- especially when those contacts get sweaty.  Usually rubbing a pencil eraser against it does the job; if not, a swipe of alcohol will do it.  That said, I don't have the problem of the watch NOT charging -- it reverse charges!

But I do like my 620.  Other than that.

Thanks for the pencil eraser and alcohol tip. I always used steel wool or very fine grained sand paper. Will give the eraser a try next time.

Mmmmm...beer

I've had no issues with my FR220.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Brilliant

...  That said, I don't have the problem of the watch NOT charging -- it reverse charges!

This is why I recently bought a TomTom.  I'd plug my Garmin in overnight, and some mornings it would be completely drained!

delicate flower

One thing I've never had an issue with with my Garmins is the charging.  *knock on wood*  The 620 charger is a little easier to use than the 610...it is a cradle instead of a clip.

<3

bluerun

Super B****

This is why I recently bought a TomTom.  I'd plug my Garmin in overnight, and some mornings it would be completely drained!

Alcohol is the answer. 

...and I just remembered that my 620 is still plugged into the laptop on my dining room table.  Oops.

chasing the impossible

Docket_Rocket

I have had mine for a year (TomTom).  Never an issue with the battery or the satellite.  Every time my husband yells at his Garmin 220, I laugh.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Left unchecked, there are properties in sweat that react with the metal in the charging pins which essentially create corrosion.

You should thus rinse your watch gently after each run to remove the sweat, preventing oxidation from ever occurring. Or limiting it at the very least.

Every time my husband yells at his Garmin 220, I laugh.

What is his 220 problem?

Dave

LRB

I have had mine for a year (TomTom).  Never an issue with the battery or the satellite.  Every time my husband yells at his Garmin 220, I laugh.

My computer just froze, should I have gotten a Mac instead? 

bluerun

Super B****

My computer just froze, should I have gotten a Mac instead? 

That's what I did. 

chasing the impossible