Beginners and Beyond

IMS 5K RR, sub-20, PR, AG, you name it, it's in here! :) (Read 116 times)

Mmmmm...beer

LOL  That would be good Zel!

Thanks Supersono!  Yeah, she's pretty good at keeping it real. Smile

Thanks still bluesky!  You did call it!  I think you're right, if I can focus and push through, I think the sub-19 is there.  I'm getting ready to start the Pfitz 18/70 plan, and while the speed work is meant for the marathon of course, maybe it will still help build the mental toughness I need to push and stay on pace.  I also have to remind myself that this was only my fifth 5k, so I still have plenty to learn.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Luke79

Nice job dude.  Like MJ mentioned, you didn't just squeak by, you slaughtered sub 20.

Bin Running

Congrats, Dave. You are so speedy.  Would really like to see what progress you can achieve once you started on Pfitz.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Goorun

What an improvement. Almost 1 minute PR in 5k. That is something.

You have in you even faster 5k , sub 19 is not far away and who knows after that. Well run 5k is a painful race run right at the anaerobic threshold. Very satisfying, when you master that.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Love the Half

BTW, the first time I ran sub 20, I was feeling all good about myself until I found out that I'd been beaten by the guy who finished first in the "stroller" division.  Then, I felt great about winning the 45-49 AG until I found out that I'd have been in 4th in the 50-55 AG.  Talk about being brought back down to earth.   Big grin

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Um, haven't done any speedwork? Dude, sounds like you just did! Amazing job!

Dave

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Luke! It's nice to be solidly in a range, I feel like I could probably go sub-20 at any 5k in the area now (if you throw in hills it might be a different story lol).

Thanks Bin! Me too! Even with the speed work being geared for the marathon, I think it will still help me. Looking forward to it. Smile

Thanks Goo! I'm looking forward to working on it. My focus is going to be on the marathon, but I still have a fair number of 5Ks on the schedule, so I'll get to see how my marathon training is affecting my short race.

Brad, yeah, there are plenty of reality checks, especially in this area. The winner of the 50-55 group at this race ran an 18:22. At my last half, there was a guy running with Team Hoyt VB that ran a 1:17 while pushing a kid that I'd guess weighed well over 100lbs. It's definitely all relative. Smile

Thanks Dave! Yeah, I guess my races are definitely speed work. lol But that would be all the speed work I've done so far. I'm actually looking forward to starting the Pfitz program and brining in some speed work, it'll be nice to start mixing it up a bit.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Don't call me Buttercup!

Suh-weet!!!  Nicely done!

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Dad on the run.

Awesome job man. Sub 20 is rocking.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Bravo, Dave!

B-Plus

Congrats on sub-20 Dave. That sub-19 is not too far away. Like others have mentioned, 5k is difficult to master. When you figure it out, tell me the secret.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

What a great accomplishment!!! Congrats on the new PR, first sub-20, AG award and top 10 OA finish! Amazing amazing job!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Isn't it awesome going into a race where you know you're going to PR?  That's crazy that everyone started so quickly.  I don't know what goes through peoples' heads, but good job being smart.  As for the mind wandering, it's definitely a skill and you'll pick it up very soon...maybe even the next race.  Great job.  Once you start putting in the speed work you're really going to be blowing all our socks off.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

BruceD555

I've said it before but I'll repeat it again here - you are gifted with some serious speed. You were so smart to dial it back and not flame out like many of those guys in the opening lead pack. Though I'm new to this racing thing as well, I think we can learn something new each time we're out there racing - regardless of the distance. I think you also do a nice job with the post-race analysis to improve how you race. Great job on the sub 20, AG place and PR ... all rolled into one race.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Nevrgivup

This is so awesome!  It doesn't get much better than this, until you set yourself another goal. Wink Savor the PR. Smile

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del.