Beginners and Beyond

IMS 5K RR, sub-20, PR, AG, you name it, it's in here! :) (Read 116 times)

GinnyinPA

Terrific time.  It will be interesting to see what the next year brings for you.

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Di!

Thanks Jimmy!

Thanks Basya!

Thanks B-Plus! You are right about that, it's definitely a tough race to run perfectly. I'll let you know if I figure out the secret. Smile

Thanks Kristin!  Wow, it just hit me, this is my first top 10 finish. Big grin

Thanks SIAR! It's a nice confidence boost knowing that a PR is pretty much in the bag. I'm looking forward to working on my focus and seeing how far I can push myself.

Thanks Bruce! I agree, it's important for new runner like us to try to take something away from each race, even if it's just a simple logistical tip, like what to pack or how early to get there, etc.

Thanks Hilary! Of course the next goal has already been set. lol Might have to wait until the fall to get there, not sure what kind of speed I'll be able to hold in the heat, but I do have a 5k in June and July, so I'll give it my best and see what happens.

Thanks Ginny! I am really looking forward to the next year, should be fun. There's some pretty fast 40+ guys in this area, so I've got my work cut out for me before I age up. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

dave- way to go man.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Tomas! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Huge milestone!  Dave, I think it's awesome that you're milking every ounce of speed from these easy runs as you can.  Some day I'm sure it will plateau, and you'll have an entire arsenal of new speedwork to try.  I'm sure there are some local runners that are going to get sick of seeing you in the future...LOL  Congrats!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

DUDE!  AWESOME!  Welcome to the sub-20 club.  It does tend to make the lay person stare when you say you run a 5k in "19Tight lippedx" (since, you know, most lay people will go run them in 30 and change).  NOT that there's anything wrong with that, it's just neat to brag.  Plus for the time you've been running, you can probably count on an even faster time next race.  The mental game is tough, but takes practice just like the physical... it'll get there.  Cheers.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

What Sarah said...you are so freaking fast!  Your times always amaze me!  Congrats on the PR and the AG award!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Awood!  There is already one runner who is now in my crosshairs, the guy that took 1st in my AG with a 19:04.  He's also doing the Grand Prix points series in my running club, and right now he's ahead of me by 15 points!  I'm hoping that his 19:04 is the peak of his abilities and that he's not still improving like me. LOL

Thanks scap!  It's definitely a good club to be in, and there's a certain something about crossing that line and going from 2xTight lippedx to 19Tight lippedx.  I feel like sub-19 should be pretty doable, beyond that we'll just have to see. Smile

Thanks Scotty!

-Dave

My running blog

Mile 2:  The pack that took off ahead of me starts dropping one by one as I cruise past them

Great job, D^2.  It is really fun when those rabbits drop, I'll never know why they take off like Usain Bolt at a totally unsustainable pace.

You did this without any speedwork??  Wow, you might be a sub 18 guy if you start doing some Smile

Mmmmm...beer

Great job, D^2.  It is really fun when those rabbits drop, I'll never know why they take off like Usain Bolt at a totally unsustainable pace.

You did this without any speedwork??  Wow, you might be a sub 18 guy if you start doing some Smile

Thanks!  I just have to remember to not chase them and I'll be ok. Smile  Yup, still no speed work, looking forward to seeing what I can do with some more focused training.

-Dave

My running blog

Docket_Rocket

Nice job, considering the no speedwork.

Thanks!  I just have to remember to not chase them and I'll be ok. Smile  Yup, still no speed work, looking forward to seeing what I can do with some more focused training.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page