Beginners and Beyond

Adam's Paris Marathon Race Report (Read 116 times)

Docket_Rocket

Man, my French is not that rusty I understand everything.  One day I shall talk with both of you.

Adam, you ran a 42,195 km long race in 2:59?! You must be the universe's fastest being! Shocked LOL...Seriously, though, with a 2:59 finish time, you are up there with the fastest of the fastest, on both RW and RA. Congratulations, I'm so proud of you!!!

“Puuuutain de bordel de merde, je fais qoui? Il faut que j’aille dans un resto (ou bien un bar), il serait plus sympa que cette course !”.

Aww, now you think in French! So cute! (not the cursing, though, haha).

I noticed that the number of shaved legs in my corral heavily outnumbered the number of fuel belts.

And I bet the majority of shaved legs belonged to men. When I lived in Paris, shaving wasn't all that popular among women... It was considered an American habit. But that was a few years ago. Hopefully, things have changed a bit.

On the way back we stopped for cappuccinos and then some pastries (where the girl behind the counter got pissed at me because I translated my friend’s order separately instead of putting it all on one bill... just wonderful service).

I see that courtesy hasn't changed...  Big grin

Well, you're right about your legs having done an amazing job in this race with the less than perfect training. You did absolutely fantastic and it points to even much faster times in the future. Are you thinking of Boston in 2014? I'm glad you also got to enjoy some time with your lazy friends. Lazy friends are sometimes the most fun to spend time with. :-) All in all a great race, great finish time and a great weekend for you. And an awesome RR for us! Your humour and your beautiful pictures (they make me miss my time spent there) always entertain us. Thank you!

NOW GO BACK TO WORK!!! Big grin

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

D., how would you translate in Spanish "Putain de bordel de merde?"  I bet it sounds very similar. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

La puta del putero de mierda (you can use bordelo too, so yes, it's almost the same).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

La puta del putero de mierda (you can use bordelo too, so yes, it's almost the same).

Such refined and poetic languages yours and mine are. Wink

Sorry Adam. You really are still too young to be learning these words. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Zelanie

Loved reading your report and your description of the race and the entire weekend!  And I am impressed with your finish time, even if it wasn't what you were hoping for!

StepbyStep-SH

Great report and photos, Adam! Sounds like you ran the race smartly for the training you've been able to get in. And I really can't wait to see just how fast you could run one of these on a good training cycle.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Buelligan - That's too bad your parents didn't enjoy their time there. I can't believe the car even survived the journey back to the states.

Bruce - Thanks for the advice. Neither the work nor the writing are going great right now :S. They were small pastries by the way (not sure why I didn't just spring for normal sized ones).

She Can - I'm glad you like reading them. Thanks.

happylily - I have noticed guys are way more likely to shave their legs here, but I'm pretty sure all the women do too. And no, the courtesy doesn't change Smile. It's funny because I have several good friends from in/around Paris and none of them are fans of the day-to-day with others in Paris. I don't know if I'd call my friends lazy, they're both about a minute faster than me in a 3000m. "Too young to learn swear words"? Pretty soon I'm going to have to start paying "Adult" prices for trains.

B-Plus - Sorry, no shaved leg pics. Probably not next time either.

DR - I think it opened in November this year... I would check the French version of the site periodically, I think it's more up-to-date than the English one. I've been hanging around enough with Spanish exchange students to know that phrase in Spanish too.

Zelanie - Thanks.

StepbyStep - Thanks, I can't wait to get a decent cycle either!

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Mostly harmless

Thanks for a great RR, it made for a really nice read before I head out to run this morning.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Love the Half

Wow.  Those are some very nice brews in your fridge.  I recently picked up a bottle and a bomber of the St. Bernardus abt 12 and can't wait to try it. From most things I have read, it's virtually indistinguishable from the Westvleteren.

Did you say something about a race?

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Trail Monster

Wow, just wow! 2:59 is under-trained?! I must be doing something wrong! Congrats on a strong comeback!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

LRB

I remember reading the report of the marathon you ran upon your comeback from illness last year, (can't remember where the hell it was though, I think you ran in the 3:40's maybe?), you sure have come a long way from that day!

Great stuff, your race reports are always thorough!

Supersono99

Congrats on your sub-3. Almost made your goal. I enjoyed your pictures.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Glad you finally wrote your report. Enjoyed every word, even the ones I didn't understand. (My French was poor at best even when fresh some few decades ago.)

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

hog4life

Adam, thank you very much for sharing your pictures and congrats on getting the sub 3.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

What a great RR! Paris is by far one of my favorite places in the world. Thank you for sharing with us. CONGRATS on the sub-3:00 marathon!!! That is an AMAZING feat, Adam! Awesome awesome job!

PS- you have all of my boyfriend's favorite beers in your fridge that I have also come to greatly enjoy... you have great taste in beer!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to