Beginners and Beyond

This is the biggest gap from 1st to 2nd in a 5K I've ever seen (Read 147 times)

Love the Half

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Sheeee....  I could've taken 2nd place in that puppy!!!

Ya, that's pretty huge!

Randy

And the 2nd through 6th place finishers were not even adults.  The next adult was in 7th place.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Where is this run I'm so running it next year!! The winners of 5Ks in NYC usually finish sub-15 or even sub-14. If I had run the Pirate Race and ran my PR time of 28:16 I would have placed 11th OA, 3rd female and 1st in my AG!!! Which is unheard of at the races I run.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Where is this run I'm so running it next year!! The winners of 5Ks in NYC usually finish sub-15 or even sub-14. If I had run the Pirate Race and ran my PR time of 28:16 I would have placed 11th OA, 3rd female and 1st in my AG!!! Which is unheard of at the races I run.

This. I'm 59 and could have placed 2nd OA.

MTA: 2nd woman OA

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Hip Redux

This. I'm 59 and could have placed 2nd OA.

MTA: 2nd woman OA

Me too!

Usually I see results like this when races have multiple distances on the same day - so like the half is the popular distance that all the stronger runners are doing, and then there's a 5k with like... all the spouses of the half marathoners. :P  At least, that's how I managed to get 2nd in my AG in a 5k with a 26 minute time. lol

And the 2nd through 6th place finishers were not even adults.  The next adult was in 7th place.

I'm sure Eli is pretty proud of himself, trouncing a bunch of grade-schoolers & middle-aged jog-walkers. It's kind of like the Seinfeld episode where Kramer was bragging about kicking ass in his karate class, which turned out was full of little kids.

And if you note the number of participants -- that guy in 7th place was in fact not even in the top third of male finishers.

Dave

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

There's a Seinfeld reference for everything!

I'm sure Eli is pretty proud of himself, trouncing a bunch of grade-schoolers & middle-aged jog-walkers. It's kind of like the Seinfeld episode where Kramer was bragging about kicking ass in his karate class, which turned out was full of little kids.

And if you note the number of participants -- that guy in 7th place was in fact not even in the top third of male finishers.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Love the Half

That may be true for larger races but I easily found a New York City area race in 2012 with a winning time of 19:01.

New Hope 5K

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've seen this type of result a number of times, though not quite with that huge a spread. What is often the case is a good runner shows up not being familiar with the race, but it is convenient to him. Discovers there is no competition but decides to time trial the race anyway. I finished second in a race like that about 15 years ago. The winner ran 16 something and I was closer to 20 minutes.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

EbonyN

MusicofEbony

If you look at the number of finishers, 46. the race was tiny, mircro would be an even better description. I'm not really surprised with the results with a race that small

Formally known on the Runners World forums as Malletgirl02.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I could have taken 1st OA female with my PR time...holy crap!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The 5K winner yesterday was 13:45:42 Shocked. That's one of the faster NYRR finish times I've seen this year but sub-15 is pretty typical for the NYRR 5Ks I've ran. No, not every single race in NYC does the winner finish in 13:45:XX. I placed 50th OA and 16th female in a 179 finisher race in Prospect Park that was for a local homeless shelter, with a 28:16. I placed 150/1200 at Diva 5K on Long Island with a terrible head cold in which I couldn't breathe and ran a 30:59. So....no...not ALL NYC races are crazy fast. But MOST are especially NYRR.

That may be true for larger races but I easily found a New York City area race in 2012 with a winning time of 19:01.

New Hope 5K

Love the Half

I'll grant that the NYRR races will be very fast but I'm willing to bet that NYRR sponsors fewer than 5% of the total number of 5K's in the greater NYC area.

To be clear, I'm not being at all critical of the guy who won.  Hell, one of the things completely out of your control is who shows up on race day.  I won the Scott Teays Elementary 5K last year and won it by a fair margin.  This year, I was the RD so I didn't run.  I would have finished either 3rd or 4th if I had run it this year.  I won my age group at the Charleston Distance Run this year but there is one guy who aged into the 55-59 AG between the time he beat me at the WV 5K Championship in June and the CDR in August.  He beat me by a couple of minutes in the CDR so I recognize I only won my age group via a calendar quirk but win it I did.

Like LtH wrote, you can't know who might show up but your point is well taken.

The winner was the only male in his 20's. Looking at the ages, times, and considering the small field I can't say it was too surprising. 7 minutes is a ton in a 5K but this field doesn't resemble any typical 5K I've run in. Even the smallest local ones around here get at least 100 folks with a handful of speedsters.