Beginners and Beyond

SATURDAILIES - Let's Start From The Beginning (Read 237 times)

happylily

Good morning!

I woke up at 9am! Surprised I needed the sleep, obviously. Yesterday, a daycare kid vomited all over the table, his craft, the crayons, the floor and his clothes and everything points out to gastro, AGAIN! GRRRRR.... His sibling in grade 1 has been sick with it and staying home with mom, but they brought me the little one even though they knew he had been contaminated. So tired of this attitude... The mother said "I hope you washed your hands" when she came to pick up her 3 yo at the end of the day. I said yes, of course. But I also had my hands and knees in the child's vomit, trying to clean up everywhere, had to hug a sick and crying child and stroke his hair, had to clean the toys he played with. It really is almost impossible to stay unexposed to the virus when you are the caregiver. I just hope that my immune system is stronger this time. So far so good this morning... Last time gastro was here, the last weeks of marathon training had weaken my system and I became very sick with it. Anyway, I'm sure you were all dying to know about the GI problems in my entourage! Big grin

6 recovery miles today.

Have a safe, uncontaminated Saturday!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

hog4life

Julie, I hope you don't think this is too harsh, but that mommy needs to be smacked in the back of the head as a reminder that you don't do that. I hope you don't get sick. I would NEVER keep one child home without keeping the others too. Bad decision mommy!

I'm looking for 9-10 after work.

Luke79

6.2 miles done @ 54:39 (8:49 pace).  That is a personal best.  I can't wait to see how a 10k will go by the time I run one in March, it should mos def be a huge PR.  I didn't even REALLY push it on that run.

Docket_Rocket

Wink  Morning Dailies friends!

LR is done - and 70% of it was in a steady downpour - it was one of those runs where as soon as you start it you want it to be over.

Time for breakfast and some coffee.

I'll bet it made you run faster.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Weezer...Is it tough to do a LR like that with a group?  It seems like the differences in people's paces/fitness would really show up in the LR.  Nice job sticking with it in the rain.

Makk...Swim then run sounds great.  I really need to get my butt back in the pool.  Do you work on a lot of strokes, or freestyle mostly?

SUS...Weird, you're the second guy I've heard say his wife would be unhappy if he lost more weight.  You're wife wouldn't like me, I'm 6'1 and 162, and am hoping to race my next marathon around 158.  I do think that it makes a difference.  I know a lot of folks on here really liked Ryan Hall's HM plan, but Pfitz has good stuff too.  I'd think for a half a 12 week plan would be great, and then maybe an 18 week for your marathon.  Nice job on the runs.

Flippy....Racing today?  Kill it!

Code...I hope your race is a good one.

Gustav...Are you on the injured list, or do you just focus a lot on strength training in addition to your running?

Stupidlazydog...I hope the 6.5 miles goes well.  Where are you skiing at?  I enjoy skiing, but don't really do a whole lot of it.

Docket...Hi again ha.

Robert...Uff, leaf mountain.  Want to come do mine?  I'm giving up at this point, I think.

Baboon...Nice job getting the workout in early.  I'd be worried about flying off the back of the TM belt at that pace.  Nice job on the weekly mileage, that's great base work.  I actually saw Skyfall yesterday...hope you enjoy it.

Locomote...I hope the run goes well for you!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Lily...Meant to thank you for complimenting my pic the other day...very nice of you.  That sounds like a pretty miserable day in my book!  Looks like you handled it patiently though, I'm impressed.  I hope the recovery miles were good to you.

Hog...Enjoy the post work miles...hopefully you have lots of energy for them.

Luke...That's awesome!  You really should have a great PR coming up.  It seems like you've been doing really good running lately.  That always pays off.

Heading out for 6ish miles myself with 4x8sec hill sprints.  Enjoy your weekend runners.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Okay, I'm back. Here's what I wrote on DM:

HUGE PR. Unofficial time 53:28, still waiting results. My secret A goal was 55 minutes. I woke up and got to the race and I wasn't really feeling it. Wasn't feeling bad, but my legs weren't that lively. No warmup, but I went out fairly fast and hung on. Cold and rain/snow mix. Really happy with this race. Old (obviously very soft) 10K PR was 1:03:03.

Splits:

8:39
                8:39
                8:37
                8:42
                8:35
                8:32
                7:22 (last .2)

Here's a little extra:

Ran this one alone, as all of friends and my wife opted for the 5K for various reasons. I stuck to the 10K as that is what I've been training for since mid October.  This was a pretty fun race and the cool part is that I frequently run this course as the start is only a couple miles from my house. The only "bad" part of this race is that my glasses were fogging up really bad due to the cold/humidity/rain/snow mix. So the last two miles I just took them off because even half blind I could see the road better than with them on and fogged. At the end they had mostaccioli, garlic breadsticks, and tons of fresh baked goods.. cookies, muffins, brownies, plus the usual bananas, apples etc. Nice event!

Another little tidbit... My overall pace was 10 seconds per mile faster than my current 5K pace. Looks like I need to schedule another race soon.

outoftheblue

SRD for me.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

Life is good.

Luke79

@coderunner...looks like we're fairly close in our running ability at this point.  That's a great time.  You're going to destroy a 5k next time you run one.

Purple Toes

Morning all!

c0derunner great job on the huge PR!  Good luck to all of the other racers! Lily so sorry about the awful day yesterday! Hope you all stay healthy. Gasto is the worst--it totally ruined the last week of my vacation in France a few years ago. B-Plusyou were right about the massage. It hurt like heck yesterday and I was sore this morning, but I noticed today during my strides/run my muscles felt much less sore and tight than they had been. Anyways, 2ish easy miles for me today. 

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

So_Im_a_runner - yeah I am on the bench. Strength training fills the void.

Code - nice PR and pretty even splits!

Lily - I don't know what parents think - unless they would rather have you deal with the vomit for the day. That would be sad.

Sus - nice run. Look into Ryan Hall's half plan as an option.

Flippy- hope your race is going well

Robert -  your personal from yesterday was hysterical. It caught me off guard.

Damaris - good luck tomorrow

Happy runs and rest days to the rest!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

runmomto3boys

David: 18-20: what a nice big ole LR, but yuck to running most of it up in the pouring rain.  What's next for you?  Spring full?  Thanks for the well wishes, too!

Makk: I hope the swimming and easy miles go well today!

SUS: EXCELLENT job on yesterday's run.  You are fast!  I think doing a Spring HM and Fall full is a great plan.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if you BQ on the first shot.  All of your runs are a heck of a lot faster than mine and I ran a 3:32.  I don't have any advice on a HM plan.  You should post a thread on that.

Code: :::SQUEAL::::  A 10 freaking minute PR and a faster overall pace then your 5K PR??/  Holy crap!  That is crazy time!!!!  You ROCKED that race something fierce.  That stinks about the foggy glasses stuff, but you powered through.  That spread?  Whoa.  Niiiiice.  You earned every calorie you ate post-race.  I'm so happy for you!  What a day!!!

Flippy: I now what happened, but I won't comment until you come back here....

Gustav: Oh my GOSH!  I've been doing planks, but I've never tried those.  I am so working them in.  They sound tough!  Nice job w/the weights, too!  Well done.

Stupid Lazy: It sounds like you've been having lots of fun w/the skiing.  I hope the run goes well today.

Damaris: I hope the 6 go well tonight!

Robert: Enjoy (teehee) that yard work!

Phil: What an incredible job on those 1/4 mile intervals.  Sub-6:00????  What?  Fast!  Nice job on the consistency, too, w/all those 50 mile weeks.  All around, just great running!

Locomote: I hope that 12-14 miler goes well!

Lily: Ugggh...I wish she would've kept the kiddo home.  I hope you can stay healthy despite the germs everywhere.  I completely empathize.  I've been going through this w/my 2 year old for the past few days and last night, I got terribly ill. Throwing up over and over, the whole bit.  I haven't been this sick in a long, long time.  I hope your recovery miles go well!

Mitch: I hope the 9-10 miles go well after work!

Luke: What a crazy FAST 6+ miler today!!!  Congrats on the PB run today.  You are so right: by the time that the Spring comes around, your speed is going to be crazy.  You are going to CRUSH that PR!

SIAR: I hope the 6 w/hill sprints go well today! 

Out of the Blue: Enjoy your RD!

I spent the evening/night throwing up, but I am doing much better right now.  I can't eat food or anything, but that trumps being violently ill.  This whole rest week thing worked out well even w/the illness stuff.  My 2 year old is still battling it too, although he isn't throwing up any more.  It's a pretty bad bug.  I don't remember the last time I was this sick!  Anyway, I start running again Monday.  I'm looking forward to it!

10.2 slow and easy with a group I run with from time to time. Got a little snow last night so it was the first run on snow covered trails for the season. Onl about an inch or so....not too bad. Looks like we might get more tonight though.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Still awaiting official results, but my watch read 28:20, so I think I probably ran 28:15 or thereabouts. My previous PR from last month was 29:10....so this is a great way to end 2012. NICE job C0derunner!!!!!!!!!
                              Weezer88

Smile

SIAR - it's actually very easy since most of us run at the same pace (or at least we can stay within sight of each other); I finished with 2 others.

RMT3B - Next up - a small race called the Land Between The Lakes 50-miler

Mistress D - yeah, I actually ran this LR too fast (averaged 8:01/mile); I stopped counting the number of times I stepped in a big puddle - I HATE WET SHOES!

happylily - hope you don't catch the 'gastro' bug

I AM WEEZER.